Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torque settings for front hubs
Hi, As part of my winter overhaul project. replacing; front wheel bearings/dics/pads/all bushes/tyres/springs/shocks/flexi brake pipes Etc Etc. All to try and cure a shake at the steering wheel during braking! Anyway got the O/S front hub of today and the bearing is clearly shot to bits. My question is and I remember it being 'discussed' before, what is the tourque setting for the front hub nut please? I seem to remember a procedure but cant find the thread now, perhaps it was on the old Yahoo site!
Thanks
Chris
Membership Secretary DOC UK
2021's DeLorean event: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/showthr...p?tid=6056
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
i know its a lot about 140 ft lbs but dont quote me on that, i would have a look in my garage but its a bit cold out there Sad TT
DOC398
VIN#3484
Tourettes Tutor
I have the X factor
Hi chris. I have a tech manual on CD ROM, and i can mail you all the torque settings on an acrobat reader file if you pm me your email address! I'm sure the setting is right here in front of me, but i would rather you read the whole sheet for yourself so you know you are getting the right info.
Ben
Have you checked disc run-out with a dial gauge to diagnose the brake judder?

I had to replace the complete hub assembly on mine as it was that that was buckled and not my (oem) disc.

I have a spare front wheel bearing if you need it.

Nick.
Thanks peeps, The bearing was shot to bits, I have new discs anyway to go on. I will take the whole thing to work to press the remains of the bearing out and push the new one in. While there I will get one of the guys to run it up on one of the balancing machines, they have a few for different things there.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Sounds like you have a nice engineering shop there Chris !

NickT.
NickT Wrote:Sounds like you have a nice engineering shop there Chris !

NickT.
lol.
I wish! I have good friends in our main aircraft hangers, amazing what you can get done, (when the boss is not looking)!!!! Shock Big Grin
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
hi

any advice for taking off the front hub? I've removed the nut and the D washer, but the hub's being a bugger to get off. my guess is that the inside of the being is on tight on the spindle.

ho hum
-------------------------
- Dave Smith

VIN: #00944 DOC: #535
VIN: #03193
Barson Wrote:hi

any advice for taking off the front hub? I've removed the nut and the D washer, but the hub's being a bugger to get off. my guess is that the inside of the being is on tight on the spindle.

ho hum

To be fair, mine fell off fairly easily. best bet would be to try a hub puller or gentle tapping with a hammer at the very back of the hub (not near the edges) or undo the nut at the other end of the spindle.
Chris
VIN#15768 Ex VIN#4584
Pull evenly with one hand on each side of the hub/ disc, and if necessary your feet against the sides of the chassis extension and your backside on the floor. Get someone you trust not to smack you in the nads to hit the centre spindle with a rubber mallet. Shocks the hub off it dead easy, works every time.
Richard Hanlon
Derbyshire
DOC 393

1981 DMC-12 VIN 06126
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Get someone you trust not to smack you in the nads to hit the centre spindle with a rubber mallet.

hahahaha!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: PMSL

I guess I'm lucky I aint got any nads then I suppose!! :lol:
Claire Wright  - Club Treasurer
Jul 1981 DeLorean - Flopsy #2292 
Aug 1989 Cavalier 1.6L - Guinney
Apr 2021 Mokka-e Launch Edition - Evie