The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Help identifying electrical connection - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: DELOREAN HELP AND ADVICE & PARTS CROSS REFERENCE (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 3 - Electrical (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Help identifying electrical connection (/showthread.php?tid=6224)

Help identifying electrical connection - Justwatching - 17 Sep 2021

I absolutely love* finding things unplugged in an engine bay...

Does anyone know what it is/does? It's at the rear of the engine. Appears to be on (or next to) the distributor. 

[attachment=1209]

RE: Help identifying electrical connection - Rissy - 17 Sep 2021

In this situation, the colur of the cables terminated into those plugs goes a long way to tell a more complete story, if you could share...? Smile

RE: Help identifying electrical connection - Chris P - 18 Sep 2021

it's a bit fuzzy...a better photo would be good.

RE: Help identifying electrical connection - Rich H - 19 Sep 2021

Probably the connector from the diagnostic socket....

RE: Help identifying electrical connection - Justwatching - 19 Sep 2021

New pictures. First one is the socket in question. The second is a homeless cable with corresponding shape connector. Problem solved right, just put the second one in the first one? It doesn't reach.

[attachment=1212]

[attachment=1213]

RE: Help identifying electrical connection - Rissy - 19 Sep 2021

This is still very difficult without being there and looking myself, but here's what I'd test. Using my multimeter, i'd get belling-out to test for continuity.

That orange wire. If it is ONLY orange, and no stripe, which is what it looks like, then there is only ONE pure orange wire which breaches the bulkhead plugs into the engine bay.
It's for the "To engine diagnostic plug from Pin 17 of Lambda ECU" and it comes from the BLUE bulkhead plug (church spire plug) and is the top left hand side connection just below the top middle (only one middle) connection when you pull the plug out. Looking at the corresponding terminals on the blue plug itself at the connection side, this would then be top right hand pin. Easy to deduce by looking at the colour of the wire connecting to it.

That brown wire. If it is ONLY brown, is a bit more confusing because the only pure brown wire which breaches the bulkhead connections is the "Alternator Field wire from Alternator", but that should have nothing to do with the diagnostics plug because the only other wires which go into the diagnostics plug are black and purple. So it shouldn't be playing a part to the connections to the diagnositcs plug at all...?!

I can't be more help without more information....

RE: Help identifying electrical connection - igb - 20 Sep 2021

Almost certainly goes to engine diagnostic socket. Like me its probably disconnected from the actual socket to make it easier to connect the dwell meter to the spade connected to the orange wire. The other colour could be faded purple rather than brown.