The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Right Hand Drive - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL DELOREAN DISCUSSION (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: General Discussions on the DOC / Car / Company / JZD (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Right Hand Drive (/showthread.php?tid=6070)

Right Hand Drive - CDNeal - 04 Jul 2020

Hi, I,m thinking of converting my car to right hand drive, has any one here done this? and if so how did they manage with the dash, pedals, boot space, ect. I know its not as simple as just changing the rack. 

Thanks Neal

RE: Right Hand Drive - DMC1983 - 05 Jul 2020

Speak to chris nicholson of pj grady. Hes converted around 15 deloreans to RHD. Hes based in canvey island, essex

I dont know of anyone who has done the job themselves

RE: Right Hand Drive - Chris P - 05 Jul 2020

The really nice RHD that was sold a while ago, from the West Midlands, was a beautifully done home conversion, the owner was a perfectionist...but it took him over 25 years. Angel 

Like building a house...it takes much longer than you'd think and costs much, much, more.

There have been several other "home conversions" over the years, with varying degrees of success. Even some of the  professionally done conversions can have limitations, especially with the ventilation system which has to be completely re-designed. The brakes can also have some quarks, especially on the Factory RHD's.

Chris N would would indeed be the man, but If you cant afford him, I'd stick with LHD ..there is nothing wrong with them. It's how the cars were designed and you soon get used to sitting on the "Wrong" side.

(I speak as someone who has owned and run more RHD's than LHD's.) 

Just my 2 pence worth.. Blush..

RE: Right Hand Drive - er1c - 06 Jul 2020

(05 Jul 2020, 07:56)Chris P Wrote: , I'd stick with LHD ..there is nothing wrong with them. It's how the cars were designed and you soon get used to sitting on the "Wrong" side.

(I speak as someone who has owned and run more RHD's than LHD's.) 

Just my 2 pence worth.. Blush..

I have no issues getting used to it... I quite like being sat near the verge out of the way of traffic. Its just my wife who needs to get used to being over the white line a lot and screaming at me like a banshee, its like smokey and the bandit with her constantly saying "over, over, over"

RE: Right Hand Drive - Chris P - 06 Jul 2020

Aghhh...I know the feeling.

I had only driven RHD's until I bought my first LHD DeLorean from NI.  My son and I flew over to collect the car, it was in the deepest countryside, miles from a decent wide road. My son was absolutally terrified as we eased our 6'3'' car around blind bends with overhanding bushes ...  where was HIS steering wheel!!   He only started to relax when we eventually got on back in the England and were  southbound on the M6.

Funnily enough I got so used to driving LHD, manual  DeLoreans,  that I'm still only comfortable changing gear with my right hand, as most of cars for years before and after have been Auto's.