The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL DELOREAN DISCUSSION (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: DeLorean Cars or Parts For Sale or Wanted (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? (/showthread.php?tid=5728)

Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? - priesh - 27 Nov 2017

Hi all,

Which struts would you recommend to buy?

I've seen a few online:

DeloreanGo
Delorean-EU
DeloreanAutoParts (SpecialT)

The Delorean Go ones seem relatively new - anyone tried them yet? I've heard good things about the SpecialT ones, and not so great things about the Delorean-EU ones.

The only issue is have with the SpecialT ones is shipping - uncertain what that would be from the US. Also import taxes.

Any information would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Priesh

RE: Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? - Chris P - 27 Nov 2017

DeLoreanGo (or Dunmurry Motor Cars) is new name for "the other Club's" spares, as it is now an official business I believe. I have used them on numerous occasions, aways helpful.

RE: Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? - Chris Williams - 27 Nov 2017

I have special T auto ones and have been happy with them, the door struts are very good, well the ones I have are! remember they work differently depending on temperature.
Chris

RE: Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? - priesh - 28 Nov 2017

(27 Nov 2017, 21:07)Chris Williams Wrote: I have special T auto ones and have been happy with them, the door struts are very good, well the ones I have are! remember they work differently depending on temperature.
Chris

Hey Chris - how much was shipping & tax on those?

Priesh

RE: Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? - Chris Williams - 28 Nov 2017

To be honest (so long as the tax man is not reading) I cant properly remember. I have bought lots from John over the years (and all other suppliers) I have often found that a lot of his stuff seems to slip in 'under the radar' and not get caught for import duty.
However I have not bought anything from him in probably a year, and I know $ shipping has gone up in the US and I would have bought them along with other items.
So cant exactly say I'm afraid
Chris

RE: Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? - Rich Hanlon - 29 Nov 2017

The other option might be to get your existing struts repressurised by SGS in Derby, so long as they are not wet around where the piston goes in. They come up if you google them.

RE: Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? - Rissy - 29 Nov 2017

I've got a set of Ed's louvre struts on mine. Some would argue that they're too strong, but i really don't feel that they are. although i'm in the habit of raising them up, restrained with my hand anyway. I have let them go themselves too, from time to time, and to be honest, at least in the case of the louvres, i really don't think you're in any danger of damaging anything, since the louvres have the capability to open further than the struts go anyway. I'm pretty happy with mine.

As for the door struts; looking at the performance of Ed's on various cars last year in Belfast during Eurofest, I have to say I was quite impressed to be honest.

I can't comment on his bonnet struts.

I've not seen other suppliers struts in action (knowingly) to comment.

RE: Bonnet/Louvre struts - recommendations? - priesh - 03 Dec 2017

Thanks for all the responses!

I've got my eye on the new stainless ones on Delorean Go - they look quite nice.

It seems all of them are alright so will just pick a set and go for it.

Cheers,

Priesh