The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
USA Import - Tax? - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL DELOREAN DISCUSSION (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: DeLorean Cars or Parts For Sale or Wanted (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: USA Import - Tax? (/showthread.php?tid=5721)

USA Import - Tax? - priesh - 04 Nov 2017

Hi all - what are the import taxes these days if importing from the USA? I've read a lot of articles on it but I things changes so wanted to understand what the current state of affairs is.

Looking at different sites, it seems it would be 10% import duty and then 20% VAT? I know there used to be some exemptions etc but not sure if any apply any longer.

That makes a lot of the ones I've been looking at in the USA not so worthwhile.

Cheers!

Priesh

RE: USA Import - Tax? - Dan Willis - 06 Nov 2017

I've PM'd you. Still the basic 5%.

RE: USA Import - Tax? - Guinney1971 - 07 Nov 2017

Nice one Dan Smile

RE: USA Import - Tax? - priesh - 07 Nov 2017

Would be cool if it is just 5%.

@Claire I might bump into you at the weekend - I'm going to be at the show on Saturday - will be good to meet some of the members Smile

RE: USA Import - Tax? - Guinney1971 - 08 Nov 2017

ah sorry Priesh, we cant make the NEC this weekend, be the first time in 20yrs I've not been.

RE: USA Import - Tax? - priesh - 10 Nov 2017

No worries - I'm sure I'll catch you at another event sometime :-)

RE: USA Import - Tax? - Stephenmc - 15 Nov 2017

Can I ask if a car has been imported from the states to Europe and import tax paid and if that car was then brought back to the uk does it still mean that uk duty has to Be paid ???

RE: USA Import - Tax? - Dan Willis - 15 Nov 2017

(15 Nov 2017, 10:07)Stephenmc Wrote: Can I ask if a car has been imported from the states to Europe and import tax paid and if that car was then brought back to the uk does it still mean that uk duty has to Be paid ???

You'd still have to pay the basic duty when it hits UK soil @ 5%

RE: USA Import - Tax? - Stephenmc - 15 Nov 2017

(15 Nov 2017, 10:28)Dan Willis Wrote:
(15 Nov 2017, 10:07)Stephenmc Wrote: Can I ask if a car has been imported from the states to Europe and import tax paid and if that car was then brought back to the uk does it still mean that uk duty has to Be paid ???

You'd still have to pay the basic duty when it hits UK soil @ 5%

Hi dan thanks for the reply. Can I also ask as new to all this  as car will be taken by trailer to the uk does this mean forms have to be done before transport or can that be done at port again many thanks for your help

RE: USA Import - Tax? - Dan Willis - 15 Nov 2017

At the port of entry would be my guess. My cars are/were all US imports, so came by ship and I couldn't leave site without paying up. I assume that'd be do different, but I'd defer to those that have experience.

RE: USA Import - Tax? - Chris Williams - 16 Nov 2017

Quote:Hi dan thanks for the reply. Can I also ask as new to all this  as car will be taken by trailer to the uk does this mean forms have to be done before transport or can that be done at port again many thanks for your help
Yes, all duties/taxes have to be paid before they will (usually) release the car.
Chris

RE: USA Import - Tax? - Dan Willis - 17 Nov 2017

(16 Nov 2017, 18:42)Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:Hi dan thanks for the reply. Can I also ask as new to all this  as car will be taken by trailer to the uk does this mean forms have to be done before transport or can that be done at port again many thanks for your help
Yes, all duties/taxes have to be paid before they will (usually) release the car.
Chris

Yes, that. Interestingly (well, that might be a stretch), when I picked up my "good" car back in 2002 or whenever it was, I drove it home from Southampton - so I paid there and then. The latest time was all done via the internet, so it had to be paid before the flatbed arrived to pick it up.