The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: OFF TOPIC TALK, BTTF, JOKES ETC (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: New member? Say hello :) (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=47)
+--- Thread: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell (/showthread.php?tid=4578)

Pages: 1 2

Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - phantom - 07 Jul 2014

My name is Fletcher,
Cambridge UK.
Apologies for spelling and grammar ~ just never bothered to do anything about it, then spell check came along ~ and I didn't care. But my sentence structure can irritate people ( but that is not my intention)

Don't want to repeat what I wrote on your facebook page.
Interested in unique cars.

Funny thing happened today, spoke to my wife again about deloreans.
As we were speaking, a brand new white convertible bentley drove past.
She said she would prefer one of those Shock
I said that is the the price of a house driving past, all I want is a cool car, not a cash bucket on wheels.

She then said ~ if you want to stand out, why don't you paint it bright yellow?
I said I don't want to stand out for the colour, we can paint our espace bright pink. I want a car that stands out because of it presence and what it stands for.

I don't even know what that meant. hahaha.
You can buy a lamborghini , ferrari, but its just more like posing.
That is not me.
People look at the people in those cars ~ not the car.
With a delorean ~ people look at the car.
In germany I recall a ferrari and some bubble car parked nearby.
everyone stopped to take a picture of the bubble car ~ no one the ferrari.

So here I am, a complete novice. Looking to buy a Delorean.
You probably get a guy like me once a week or month ( I am only part of one other online forum)
Then we fade away.

I need a goal.
People who lack a goal, drift.
I am only allowed to expand the resources in the business I have, and NOT accumulate more.
So lots of silly questions coming your way. please feel free to forward me to previous threads.

1.Like did haynes ever do a workshop manual on the DMC ( I think not as I found nothing)
2. I have a few non related books to read ( as in finish), but any recommendations on books or texts based around delorean? I did see the ceo's life story of delorean ~ is it any good ~ any others to suggest.
3. Has anyone matched a more current motor to the engine housing ( OH dear I am making enemies already ~ I should not of said that in first post).
4. Is it hard to convert to RHD?
5. The body work is stainless steel ~ isn't that quite heavy? Do people do aluminum replacement parts?
6. Not a racer, so don't really care about speed. More concerned about reliability, and using the car. I know they are old, but once maintained are they a very day runner?

Please be patient with me. Have been looking through the web site for awhile, but just here and their. The other forum I am on, I read for over two years before I joined. So jumping in on yours straight up.

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - jwrayth - 07 Jul 2014

Firstly, welcome to the forums! And to answer your slew of questions;

phantom Wrote:1.Like did haynes ever do a workshop manual on the DMC

Nope. But you can purchase copies of the company workshop and technical manuals from your favourite DeLorean Vendor™

phantom Wrote:2. I have a few non related books to read ( as in finish), but any recommendations on books or texts based around delorean? I did see the ceo's life story of delorean ~ is it any good ~ any others to suggest.

Nick Sutton - The DeLorean Story http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-DeLorean-Story-people-scandal/dp/0857333143. Though Chris P will be able to advise you when the book he is working on is out too, and that looks amazing.

phantom Wrote:3. Has anyone matched a more current motor to the engine housing ( OH dear I am making enemies already ~ I should not of said that in first post).

There have been a number of engine swaps in the US. You can find more info on http://dmctalk.org/forum.php, searching for engine swap.

phantom Wrote:4. Is it hard to convert to RHD?
Chris Nicholson (PJ Grady UK) does this within the UK. I'm not sure the price, as I'd rather keep mine Left-Hand Drive. The RHD with history are nice, but I'd say spend the money elsewhere unless you are desperate for a RHD!

phantom Wrote:5. The body work is stainless steel ~ isn't that quite heavy? Do people do aluminum replacement parts?
Not for the panels. Though the "panels are heavy, ruined the performance" is all hearsay. Keep the stainless, it's the bees knees.

phantom Wrote:6. Not a racer, so don't really care about speed. More concerned about reliability, and using the car. I know they are old, but once maintained are they a very day runner?

Yes, for sure. I put 8000 miles on my car last summer, and could have done more. Though for insurance I'd recommend keeping your daily driver, and more importantly for winter. Having been forced to drive my car more than I wanted to over winter, I'm now spending weekends treating spots of surface rust before it can take hold. You could drive her regularly all year... but it'd really show unless you are religious with treating the underside.

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - Chris Williams - 07 Jul 2014

Quote:

phantom wrote:

1.Like did haynes ever do a workshop manual on the DMC

Nope. But you can purchase copies of the company workshop and technical manuals from your favourite DeLorean Vendor™
Although they have now done the 'cutaway' drawing for the front of the book and we have the book fronts available as t-shirts or posters via these two links:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5336
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5338

Other than that your questions have been answered, I would give another recommendation for Nick Suttons book though

If you fancy a chat/good look/drive in a DeLorean I'm not far from you if you fancy a drive around.

Chris

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - phantom - 08 Jul 2014

Thankyou for all the responses. All goes in the brain. Will buy the delorean story and add to my reading pile. Workshop manuals latter.

Thankyou for the offer to come down and check out your vehicle Chris, I would enjoy a long chat about common problems and things to watch out for.

I am quite busy up untill september, due to work commitments and holiday. I don't want to come across as rude by saying that. Knowing that you are 20 minutes away, it would seem very little effort. But I have to really push at work, to cover the issues whilst I am away.

Chris, did your position your delorean in a photogenic way for the passing tour de france yesterday?

One more qustion ~ sometimes classic car magazines, or car magazines in general do 'spotlights' on repairs / or 'things to look out for' when purchasing vehicles. Does anyone have reference copies scanned, of iissue numbers of the magazines (if their was any) so I can hunt down and purchase.

Will read the workshop manuals upon my return in september.

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - Chris P - 08 Jul 2014

Hi Fletcher,

I think Chris W has given you a good start on what to look out for. If you buy a decent car, especially if its been owned by an enthusiast , most little niggles will have been addressed.

The eBay car elsewhere on this forum, is an example of buying work. ( in my opinion) . If you like restoring cars and have deep pockets and a big garage with lots of spare time…then fine. Failing that buy a decent one.

There are a few things that go wrong after 30 odd years or say 50,000 miles…water pumps, hoses, speedo drives , clutch's, clutch slave and master cylinders, sticking brake pistons etc. Radiator header tanks. etc.

But a well maintained and regally run car should be at least as relabel that most other cars of that era.

Lets not forget , they are 32 years old…..so won't be as trustworthy as your average little Kia or similar. …….. But thats not why you buy a DeLorean!!!!

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - phantom - 08 Jul 2014

I notice a club members renault espace!

I am sure I have been to that manor house. Their is a lake to the right hand side of the photo.
Is it near Kings Lynn?

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - Chris Williams - 08 Jul 2014

Quote:Thankyou for the offer to come down and check out your vehicle Chris, I would enjoy a long chat about common problems and things to watch out for.
No worrries, whenever you have the time.
Quote:Chris, did your position your delorean in a photogenic way for the passing tour de france yesterday?
No was working and tried to keep well out of the way!
Chris

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - Rich H - 08 Jul 2014

Quote:The eBay car elsewhere on this forum, is an example of buying work. ( in my opinion) . If you like restoring cars and have deep pockets and a big garage with lots of spare time…then fine. Failing that buy a decent one.

Chrispy knows I disagree with him on that. You don't need deep pockets and you don't need a big garage. You do however need time, commitment and the willingness to roll your sleeves up and get in there. The more you do yourself, the less money it will cost you. I'd go as far as to say that for a "decent DeLorean" too - eventually it's going to break just like any car will.

Quote:3. Has anyone matched a more current motor to the engine housing ( OH dear I am making enemies already.....

No, not yet....

Quote:Do people do aluminum replacement parts?

But that will! :evil: :lol:

Aluminium! Alu-bloody-minium - wash your mouth out! :wink:

Seriously, the heavy car thing is a myth. The DeLorean weighs about 1200 kilos, that's over 300 kilos less than the current Mondeo for example.

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - phantom - 09 Jul 2014

I want to be involved in the car.
So like 'Rich' ~ don't mind getting dirty.
Would rather pay less ~ and fix up myself.
But prefer a running vehicle ~ but consider none starter ( just concerned about transit of vehicle)

Saying that, pending the engine ~ the engine may come out to be rebuilt.

Don't mind getting very dirty, getting the car up and cutting out all chassis rust, and welding steel plate replacements.

If I am going to do it, want a reliable car, good engine.

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - Guinney1971 - 09 Jul 2014

Hi Fletcher, I'm the one who replied to your posts on the Facebook page (and have an Espace).

I bought my car as a project from the USA in 2002, and with the help of people in this Club and
rolling up my sleeves and getting my hands dirty (before I had kids), I've kept the resto cost to a
minimum.

DeLorean's are one of those cars that suffer if you dont use them IMO, so the more you drive it, the
more the car will like it.

I would say that keeping a check on the cooling system is a must, as the cars can easily overheat if
the otterstat or cooling fans fail (been there, done that................)

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - phantom - 10 Jul 2014

cool.
I am a patient man, I will find what i want.

If it comes to it ~ I have a garage that my wife NEVER enters ~ seriously.
It is attached to my business premises ~ which she has twice been to in three years ( but never went out back)
I could buy a delorean and probably repair it without her knowledge.

Nothing like honestly and sharing in a loving relationship.
Shame it will be with the car and not my wife Shock

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - Rissy - 10 Jul 2014

phantom Wrote:cool.
I am a patient man, I will find what i want.

If it comes to it ~ I have a garage that my wife NEVER enters ~ seriously.
It is attached to my business premises ~ which she has twice been to in three years ( but never went out back)
I could buy a delorean and probably repair it without her knowledge.

Nothing like honestly and sharing in a loving relationship.
Shame it will be with the car and not my wife Shock

Lol!!!!!

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - Guinney1971 - 11 Jul 2014

lol !!!!!!!!!!!! I'm staying well out of this one when she finds out!!! :lol:

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - Chris P - 11 Jul 2014

i'm saying nothing!

I remember well having to tell the 'Boss' that I had won the Barmouth auction…….when i'd forgotten to mention i'd actually bid on it! :oops:

Re: Hey guys ~ facebook fan aswell - phantom - 12 Jul 2014

Looks like this is going to happen.
Just need to clear space and find time.

Glad I'm not the only one who has to be discrete with sharing information with other half.