The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL DELOREAN DISCUSSION (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: General Discussions on the DOC / Car / Company / JZD (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 (/showthread.php?tid=4327)

Pages: 1 2

iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Patrick C - 09 Feb 2014

Hi gang. I thought you might like to see my latest modification to VIN 1880. The interior no longer feels dated to me! Attached is a below and after shot, as well as a quick YouTube video showing off the features.

http://youtu.be/4AO7POo8Izc

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Chris Williams - 09 Feb 2014

Looks great, I like the lighting in the footwells as well.
Chris

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Patrick C - 11 Feb 2014

Thanks!

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Chris P - 11 Feb 2014

I like the new steering wheel, are they available and if so how much?

It does raise the bigger question regarding any "classic car", how modifications from "stock" may effect its future value and are they easily reversible?

Future generations will be cherishing these cars long after we are all pushing up daisies.

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Patrick C - 11 Feb 2014

Chris P Wrote:I like the new steering wheel, are they available and if so how much?

It does raise the bigger question regarding any "classic car", how modifications from "stock" may effect its future value and are they easily reversible?

Future generations will be cherishing these cars long after we are all pushing up daisies.
Thanks, Chris. It is a Momo steering wheel, I believe you can still buy them. And my car is far from "stock", but its just how I want it! Smile

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - TheOriginalMrP - 11 Feb 2014

In all fairness, all the mods you have done suit the car....

Well done!

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Rissy - 11 Feb 2014

...I like what you've done. The car DOES look a lot more modern. I too like the steering wheel. Looks more chunky, like it gives a better more full grip under hand.

Interesting with the relocation of the air vents. Would be interesting to see behind the scenes plumbing if you have pictures...

Looking at the before and after pics and the fact you've changed the wheels, I have to say, although I really like the old wheels, I don't like the cost to replace the tyres, and it's only getting worse the more time passes. I've been thinking about perhaps annoying people and updating to newer, more standard sized alloys for LEX. I like your choice. I'm not sure what i'd go for though.
I'm spending money this year on two new front tyres. Next year, i'll need two new rear tyres. It's gonna be an expensive couple of years for tyres. I think this will be the first/last time for me to be buying tyres for the original wheels for LEX in all honesty. They should last a while though, so the original wheels will be on her for a while yet. I'm not organised enough to be buying new alloys yet...

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Patrick C - 12 Feb 2014

Thanks for all of the complements! Here is another video I made of some cool apps for the car:

http://youtu.be/qqM4UoLwPRA

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - TheOriginalMrP - 12 Feb 2014

Good video, good install, and nice Bttf features without installing all them boxes in your car!

Very novel indeed, well done!

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Chris P - 12 Feb 2014

Yes I love it…..unfortunately I wouldn't be able to drive it………..the display thingy,…... not the car!

Already got my eye on a steering wheel, which I love…do you think they do one in red?

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Chris P - 12 Feb 2014

Just won my fancy new steering wheel on eBay . (Hope I was not bidding against another club member though).

I liked these when I saw one fitted at DMCH…very posh, but I will probably get the red paint out for the centre piece. ….we'll see.

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - Starglider - 12 Feb 2014

I think the Ipad is more attractive than the head unit, it fits neatly into the space. I went for a pop-up screen largely because I didn't want to lose the stock vents.

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - TheOriginalMrP - 12 Feb 2014

I have a flip screen too...

Having done the dreaded heater core, I can tell you that rerouting the centre vents wouldn't be that difficult. It's just a matter of finding nice style vents (Like on Patrick's car) and sourcing the pipework to plumb them in.

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - jwrayth - 13 Feb 2014

Chris P Wrote:Just won my fancy new steering wheel on eBay . (Hope I was not bidding against another club member though).

I liked these when I saw one fitted at DMCH…very posh, but I will probably get the red paint out for the centre piece. ….we'll see.

What are you doing for a steering wheel adapter to make it fit? I'd considered upgrading my wheel but haven't had luck getting the right adaptor (or the GM one to modify).

Back on topic; iPad looks pretty nifty in there! I still prefer the look of the Craig radio in there myself, but would really enjoy getting something a bit more modern integrated into the system too. Can't have my cake and eat it though, I guess!

Re: iPad Mini In-Dash Install in VIN 1880 - TheOriginalMrP - 13 Feb 2014

I'm sure aftermarket wheel boss kits are available from one of the vendors though I'm not sure which one!

There are also 2 types, mountney style fitment with a large hub and Momo fitment with a smaller hub.

Get your boss kit first then choose a wheel that fits it would be my advice...