The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Want to own a time machine? - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: OFF TOPIC TALK, BTTF, JOKES ETC (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Back To The Future (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=61)
+--- Thread: Want to own a time machine? (/showthread.php?tid=3407)

Pages: 1 2

Want to own a time machine? - lukebrynycz - 19 Apr 2012

I have been thinking for a while now that I would love to own a time machine, it's a life time dream of mine, you only live once!! Then I looked the prices of accurate ones and quickly had a rethink :lol:

I have thought of one last possibility... part ownership! I would have guessed that many people would be in the same situation, but the expense suddenly kills the idea.

Would anyone be interested in part owning an amazing time machine for pleasure use only, based around Yorkshire? I would be willing to sell on my current pride and joy of 8 years to contirbute. It would, of course, be at an agreed secure location and would be available on a rotor system etc.

If anyone is seriously interested, feel free to drop me a pm to have a quick chat!

Re: Want to own a time machine? - Manxmann - 19 Apr 2012

Still think its a bad idea :wink:

Re: Want to own a time machine? - lukebrynycz - 19 Apr 2012

Manxmann Wrote:Still think its a bad idea :wink:

Lol! Can't get away from ya :wink:

Re: Want to own a time machine? - Guinney1971 - 19 Apr 2012

I guess the principal is simple enough, but *if* something went wrong with the car, would
there then be a 'blame game' over who's driving or usage was to blame?

With interest rates so low, is getting a loan and importing a car from the USA an option?

Re: Want to own a time machine? - Chris Williams - 19 Apr 2012

I suppose as it's done with planes/helicopters and that sort of thing then there is no reason why not I suppose?

Chris

Guinney1971 Wrote:I guess the principal is simple enough, but *if* something went wrong with the car, would
there then be a 'blame game' over who's driving or usage was to blame?

With interest rates so low, is getting a loan and importing a car from the USA an option?

Good question to raise, but in all honesty, people who would want to part own such a brilliant car would have the utmost respect for it. I know I wouldn't be taking the revs high and cornering fast etc. It would simply be a gentle cruising car to make my dreams come true and to make a lot of other people happy along the way. You only live once, enjoy it before its too late and all that :-)

If something went wrong, I'm in the motor trade and have a good friend who would quite happily do repairs at cost just to have the privilege of working on it and for a few passenger rides. Im also quite handy myself and have access to a garage and tools etc. I would simply put it down to the fact that it's an older sports car and split the bill equally. I'm an honest, genuine guy wih a huge passion for this car. I would be more than happy to meet with interests parties in person to discuss over a few drinks.

I've seen so many people miss out on the things they really want in life and I refuse to have that happen to myself. I know I'm not alone on this, come on, speak up guys :-)

Guinney1971 Wrote:With interest rates so low, is getting a loan and importing a car from the USA an option?

I have a good friend in the states who would be able to offer us a fantastic deal on a fully built Mr Fusion time machine. I would simply use my current pride and joy of 8 years as most of my cut and perhaps take a small car loan to top it up.

Re: Want to own a time machine? - lukebrynycz - 29 Apr 2012

Bumpy!

Re: Want to own a time machine? - TheOriginalMrP - 29 Apr 2012

Tell me something....

Why is it so unachiveable by yourself?

Wouldnt you wanna own this outright?

If you half own anything, there is always the quibble on who owns the bigger half...

Its really not worth it

If you really want this dream you WILL pursue it and you CAN do it.

I sold everything to buy my DeLorean, and I have replaced it all now with better than I had before.. it just takes time, patience and willpower.

Making a time machine out of my car just isnt me... I am happy with the hoverboard, flux capacitor, sports almanac, 88mph speedo etc.. just small references to the film.. The rest of the stuff is for the fanatics... I appreciate the odd BTTF car but too many replicas can kill it...

Start saving... And abort this idea before you possibly end up getting fleeced!

Good luck!

Ben

Re: Want to own a time machine? - lukebrynycz - 29 Apr 2012

Good points. It's unachievable by myself as we're wanting to start a family next year and there's no way I could take a £30k loan to do it properly. Sure, of course i'd like to own one outright but I simply can't afford that, and I'm fairly sure there's others out there that are in the same situation and would love to be involved in owning a time machine also. Guys who are into deloreans, and indeed any other older sports cars, are generally very respectful guys so don't think it would be an issue at all.

By the time i'm in my 40s and can afford one, like most are, they will either be too expensive or probably not be in very good shape on the whole. I'm 'only' 26 right now so don't have tons of cash to burn. Unfortunately, our generation can never make considerable amounts of money going self employed or by property value increases as it's a mass of depressive recession that consumes most of our well earned cash just for ridiculous mortgages and bills as nobody has £20k deposits for houses, nevermind a simply amazing, but quite honestly unreliable sports car :lol:

TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Tell me something....

Why is it so unachiveable by yourself?

Wouldnt you wanna own this outright?

If you half own anything, there is always the quibble on who owns the bigger half...

Its really not worth it

If you really want this dream you WILL pursue it and you CAN do it.

I sold everything to buy my DeLorean, and I have replaced it all now with better than I had before.. it just takes time, patience and willpower.

Making a time machine out of my car just isnt me... I am happy with the hoverboard, flux capacitor, sports almanac, 88mph speedo etc.. just small references to the film.. The rest of the stuff is for the fanatics... I appreciate the odd BTTF car but too many replicas can kill it...

Start saving... And abort this idea before you possibly end up getting fleeced!

Good luck!

Ben

Re: Want to own a time machine? - MikeWard - 30 Apr 2012

I agree with the others in that you won't find enough people willing to do this, it's open to all sorts of complications/arguements as has already been pointed out both here and on the eurotec forum.

Age isn't an issue, at few of us here are in our 20's. I bought mine back in 2010 when I was 25 and imported it over from the US. Like Claire mentioned, if importing was an option for you, then there are a number of us who have gone down that route who would be able to assist you.
As Ben said, if you really want it, you will save every last penny to make it happen. To borrow a line from the movie, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything Wink

Let me ask this question, do you absolutely have to have a time machine replica, or are you open to having a stock DeLorean?

In either form the car is equally as cool looking, and believe me a stock DeLorean draws enough attention on it's own (it's taken me 45 to get fuel on more than one ocassion).

You can pick up a stock DeLorean in the UK for around £15-£16k, which is obviously a lot less than what a kitted out BTTF replica would sell for. If you still wanted a BTTF replica, you could then buy the parts and convert it yourself over time. I'm sure you would find that the stock car is enough fun on it's own though. If I need a TM fix, I'll just boot up the BTTF HV mod for Vice City that I work on with a few folks.

I have small nod's to BTTF in my car, 88mph speedo (which was mandatory for my first year of ownership as the Angle Drive was broken), sports almanac, outatime plate, etc, and that's enough for me.

Where abouts are you based? I would recommend coming along to some meets and getting to know the car, and the quirky people like us who own them. Smile

Re: Want to own a time machine? - lukebrynycz - 30 Apr 2012

Hi Mike,

I do completely see what you're saying, and realise it won't be eveyones cup of tea, but I'm an honest guy and if there's a few other respectful parties involved i'm sure it would work out just fine. If something like an alternator fails, then it fails. The bill is split and I have a well respected mechanic who's a good friend to carry out the work for trade costs etc.

There's one very important detail... we're trying for a family and taking a £10k loan with a bit of savings on top, ain't going to go down too well Sad If I was single..? I would have already given the go ahead for a full time machine and would be onto the bank. I'm lucky enough to own a VERY quick street/drag car that is very cost effective, most chaps my age are struggling to find the funds for any car + insurance these days, so I have to take a step back and appreciate what I have.

I would be very open to having a stock delorean, and perhaps just having the interior stuff such as the time circuits, TDS, gauges, flux etc. for the nostalgia. I already have a full scale Flux built by the great Coulombe 8)

That BTTF GTA mod is excellent! I haven't had the time to play around with it too much lately, but it's a great project :!:

I'm based around Leeds/Bradford. It would be cool to pop along to one of the meets, sure! I'm going to the Silverstone classic show this year if you or anyone else is off?

MikeWard Wrote:I agree with the others in that you won't find enough people willing to do this, it's open to all sorts of complications/arguements as has already been pointed out both here and on the eurotec forum.

Age isn't an issue, at few of us here are in our 20's. I bought mine back in 2010 when I was 25 and imported it over from the US. Like Claire mentioned, if importing was an option for you, then there are a number of us who have gone down that route who would be able to assist you.
As Ben said, if you really want it, you will save every last penny to make it happen. To borrow a line from the movie, if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything Wink

Let me ask this question, do you absolutely have to have a time machine replica, or are you open to having a stock DeLorean?

In either form the car is equally as cool looking, and believe me a stock DeLorean draws enough attention on it's own (it's taken me 45 to get fuel on more than one ocassion).

You can pick up a stock DeLorean in the UK for around £15-£16k, which is obviously a lot less than what a kitted out BTTF replica would sell for. If you still wanted a BTTF replica, you could then buy the parts and convert it yourself over time. I'm sure you would find that the stock car is enough fun on it's own though. If I need a TM fix, I'll just boot up the BTTF HV mod for Vice City that I work on with a few folks.

I have small nod's to BTTF in my car, 88mph speedo (which was mandatory for my first year of ownership as the Angle Drive was broken), sports almanac, outatime plate, etc, and that's enough for me.

Where abouts are you based? I would recommend coming along to some meets and getting to know the car, and the quirky people like us who own them. Smile

Re: Want to own a time machine? - Guinney1971 - 01 May 2012

I guess I'm probably 'abnormal' in that I didnt buy my car because of the film. Mr Green

Back in 2000, someone said to me that they wanted to buy one, and my first reaction was
"what on earth do you want one of those things for?". However, #6457 (DGS803X) was duly
purchased, in 2001, and I was soon hooked on the car, and also finding myself getting involved
in helping out the DeLorean Owners Club UK at shows, which I have to say is the best car club
I've ever been a member of.

By 2002, I'd decided I wanted one, and Ebay was scoured, with #2292 coming up for sale as
'Spares or Repairs'. She was in San Diego, and I nabbed her for the bargain price of $4500
(about £2800 back then), and to my door she cost me £4100. To date, I reckon she owes me
about £10-11k, and has an insurance value of double that.

Anyway, I digress Wink

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that not everyone is a BTTF fanatic, or has even seen the film (you'll
be surprised how many blank looks you get from some people at shows when an excited family member
says its the Back to the Future car) - and the car will always be associated with BTTF (plus drugs,
government loans, etc) whether you cover it in all the film prop stuff or leave it stock - I prefer my
De's as JZD intended, but thats just personal preference.

Just my 2pth, good luck with your search, buy the best stock DeLorean you can afford, and if you want
to make a film replica later on, then fine, go ahead and do it.

Also, my daughter is 2 and a half now, and she's been a regular passenger in my car since she was a small
baby - just make sure you get the sort of pushchair that folds up lengthways to fit on the rear parcel shelf
(which was designed for golf clubs) Wink

This is my daughter during the Club's weekend in Shropshire when she was 8m old - you can just about make
out her pram on the rear shelf behind her Smile

[Image: 12062010703.jpg]

Re: Want to own a time machine? - lukebrynycz - 01 May 2012

Guinney1971 Wrote:I guess I'm probably 'abnormal' in that I didnt buy my car because of the film. Mr Green

Back in 2000, someone said to me that they wanted to buy one, and my first reaction was
"what on earth do you want one of those things for?". However, #6457 (DGS803X) was duly
purchased, in 2001, and I was soon hooked on the car, and also finding myself getting involved
in helping out the DeLorean Owners Club UK at shows, which I have to say is the best car club
I've ever been a member of.

By 2002, I'd decided I wanted one, and Ebay was scoured, with #2292 coming up for sale as
'Spares or Repairs'. She was in San Diego, and I nabbed her for the bargain price of $4500
(about £2800 back then), and to my door she cost me £4100. To date, I reckon she owes me
about £10-11k, and has an insurance value of double that.

Anyway, I digress Wink

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that not everyone is a BTTF fanatic, or has even seen the film (you'll
be surprised how many blank looks you get from some people at shows when an excited family member
says its the Back to the Future car) - and the car will always be associated with BTTF (plus drugs,
government loans, etc) whether you cover it in all the film prop stuff or leave it stock - I prefer my
De's as JZD intended, but thats just personal preference.

Just my 2pth, good luck with your search, buy the best stock DeLorean you can afford, and if you want
to make a film replica later on, then fine, go ahead and do it.

Also, my daughter is 2 and a half now, and she's been a regular passenger in my car since she was a small
baby - just make sure you get the sort of pushchair that folds up lengthways to fit on the rear parcel shelf
(which was designed for golf clubs) Wink

This is my daughter during the Club's weekend in Shropshire when she was 8m old - you can just about make
out her pram on the rear shelf behind her Smile

[Image: 12062010703.jpg]

lol, the good 'ol bargain that turns into a money pit. They are known for their reliability problems :lol: That's exactly why I'm considering getting just a shell, and sticking a solid 3S-GE or GTE in there. Hopefully I can find a shell in the states cheaply!

I LOVE the car just as it is, but I'm such a BTTF fan that I would simply have to convert it over the years as and when I could afford it. Perhaps just start with all the interior props to begin with. One step at a time, see if I can afford/get a shell first and take it from there.

You can tell she loves it 8)

Re: Want to own a time machine? - Guinney1971 - 01 May 2012

reliability problems? You've been listening to Quentin Willson too much.....

At the end of the day, the cars are at least 30yrs old this year, so you've got
to treat them accordingly.

Any car can be unreliable, it all depends on how its been treated and how you
treat it. My car had been neglected in the US and had been in a couple of accidents.

I wouldnt mess about fitting a different sort of engine, the PRV is a tried and tested
and strong engine, and once decatted and brought up to the spec of the B28E Volvo
version is more then capable of keeping up with modern traffic.