The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Gas Strut retaining clips - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: DELOREAN HELP AND ADVICE & PARTS CROSS REFERENCE (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 8 - Frame / Body / Interior (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Gas Strut retaining clips (/showthread.php?tid=295)

Gas Strut retaining clips - dmckelv12 - 28 Jan 2007

Hi people, does anyone have/know of where i can purchase the gas strut retaining clips, as one is missing and the strut keeps popping off as i go to close it.
Cheers

- PJ Grady (Europe) - 28 Jan 2007

Hello Kelvin,

Let me know which gas strut it is and the make - I know we have a load of dead struts in stock - so I'll see if I can rob a clip from one of them.

Thanks

Darren

- stunned_monkey - 28 Jan 2007

If you mean the door struts, the clip is more of a safety feature than a retaining clip. If it's poppng off then the mount may be bent or the fibreglass beneath may be damaged. In fact I seem to remember Stuart having trouble with the passenger door strut mount???

- steve.s - 29 Jan 2007

the clip comes in under the 'ball' to retain in place.

you could use a bent paper clip, or take a spring and cut /bend into place.

even a tie wire for a sandwich bag, minus the plastic cover bit if one is thick enough.

another...solid core mains cable.

- Tourettes Tony - 29 Jan 2007

Or weld it up :lol: only kidding TT

- Guinney1971 - 29 Jan 2007

There's gas struts for the bonnet and the rear louvres - is it worth trying to see if the clips from there fit in the interim?

On a slightly more serious note, Phill had a problem last year when the lower pivot bolt for the door gas strut actually sheared off as he got in Sorbet one day.

Luckilly, he was able to get a replacement from Houston and managed to fit it without losing the 'internal' parts inside the body tub.

Good luck with it Kelvin, hope the problem isnt too serious.

Cheers,

Claire

- dmckelv12 - 31 Jan 2007

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The clips that are missing are for the struts that hold the bonnet up, and i have noticed that all four are missing!!! Shock
The units are PJ Grady and they work brilliantly, im just a bit worried that when i shut the bonnet down, they might spring off and cause some damage some where.
Cheers

- PJ Grady (Europe) - 31 Jan 2007

Hello Kelvin,

I don't remember selling you struts! Must have come with the car - or straight from Rob in NY.

In any case - I'll forward you on a new pair of hood struts for free - just drop me a PM with your address, etc. For the cost of a new pair of hood struts - it's easier to replace then root around for a few old clips. Keep the others as spares!

All the best

Darren

- NickT - 31 Jan 2007

Wow, you can't say fairer than that !

Nice one Big Grin

- Tourettes Tony - 31 Jan 2007

Funny enough :lol: :lol: TT

- PJ Grady (Europe) - 13 Feb 2007

Hey Kelvin,

I'm babysitting a pair of front struts for you. Let me know when you want to collect them / or where you want me to post them to....otherwise Chris N will grab them and stick them on one of his ever growing collection of cars!

Thanks

Darren

- dmckelv12 - 17 Feb 2007

Just wanted to say a big thank you to Darren and Chris at PJ Grady for the new gas struts which has sorted the problem.

Cheers guys

Pester you soon!!!! Big Grin Big Grin