The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Island twin turbo - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: DELOREAN HELP AND ADVICE & PARTS CROSS REFERENCE (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 1 - Engine (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Island twin turbo (/showthread.php?tid=245)

Pages: 1 2

Island twin turbo - Martyn - 09 Jan 2007

If anyone's interested there's an Island twin turbo engine on the American ebay site for sale.
It's under the parts section.
8) 8) 8)

- Chris Williams - 09 Jan 2007

Very interested, but I think he wants serious amounts of money, and the engine needs a rebuild plus the shipping to the UK. Could be very costly but would make for an interesting car. Is there an island twin turbo in the Uk btw?
Chris

turbo - Martyn - 09 Jan 2007

As fare as I no there isn't a Island twin turbo in this country.
But I could be wrong.

- stunned_monkey - 10 Jan 2007

You berk - you've been out in it. Rich's #2727 that is now a "proper" R25 turbo engine is an Island twin... and as far as we know, still the only one in the country.

The one on ebay US is Marc Levy's

- steve.s - 10 Jan 2007

hi

i was also interested in this, but a sod to transport.

good for a project car with a dead engine.

steve

- Martyn - 10 Jan 2007

I had thought of 2727,but I was sure it was wasn't an island.I thought it was just a conversion before you did your magic.
I was wrong.

- Chris Williams - 11 Jan 2007

As most probably know this engine did not meet it's reserve. Finished at just short of $2000/£950 ish. Dont know how much he was expecting for it. Still I would not have minded it myself! Just a shame it was in the States. Anyone got a good powerful engine going cheap :roll:
Chris.

- stunned_monkey - 12 Jan 2007

The twin turbo kit itself, when it was available, was in excess of $5000.

We have a Renault 2.5 turbo engine, flywheel and bellhousing for £600. You will need an ECU (£600 - aftermarket) and some custom work to make up exhaust pipework, bolt up a turbo and an intercooler is optional. Good for 200hp as standard, up to 250 (and over 300ft-lbs of torque) with a bar of boost and a decent intercooler or chargecooler.

You do have a manual, don't you?!

- Chris Williams - 12 Jan 2007

Yep it is a manual, but I wasent looking at that amount of modification. Really I was looking at replacing the engine with as near stock as possible (thats why I thought of a volvo block) To clear some issues that I have got and get a bit more power,
Chris

Stage II ? Smile

We've just inherited a spotless late crossbolted block with perfect liners and an oil pump housing that's like glass.

stunned_monkey Wrote:We've just inherited a spotless late crossbolted block with perfect liners and an oil pump housing that's like glass.
Yes possibly like ur stage 2 but without the cost :oops: , showing my ignorance what's a crossbolted block differences exactly?
Chris

- NickT - 12 Jan 2007

You could always get a "complete" volvo engine from a breakers yard with fuel injection and everything else on 8)
This would already have the higher compression pistons in and have all the matching distributor/ fuel injection etc.

I don't know if they are rare but a Volvo 260 Estate should be a starting point to look.

I am not sure if the later volvo 760 engine will fit but these are even fire engines.

If you get an engine from a breakers yard you could strip it and examine it over and still drive the D until it comes to a weekend engine changeover.

NickT.

yes I have tried that Nick, But would you believe how difficult it is to find and old Volvo 260 when your looking for one! I tried the large breakers on the A1 (thanks claire) But to no avail, If any one knows of one somewher I would appreciate the info
Thanks
Chris

engine - Martyn - 12 Jan 2007

What about the volvo owners club.