The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: OFF TOPIC TALK, BTTF, JOKES ETC (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Off topic talk, general chat etc (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? (/showthread.php?tid=2144)

Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - Jonny Jones - 07 Apr 2009

Just purchased a Virtual Server from 1&1.co.uk and I thought it was just going to be simple FTP stuff as I am used to, but as I've discovered its a completely different ball game! Im completely lost, stuck, haven't got a clue! It also seems that I can't get out of the contract because I went with a special, half-price offer. Basically its all the control panels that I'm lost with.

The server is running Linux (CentOS 5 with Plesk 9) and the Plesk CP looks aweful and everything is frankly double dutch! Hopefully Nick T, Dan Shane etc can help haha! Cheers in advance!

Re: Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - Tourettes Tony - 07 Apr 2009

are they the people that work in restaurants :? TT

Re: Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - Daniel Shane - 07 Apr 2009

Jonny Jones Wrote:Just purchased a Virtual Server from 1&1.co.uk and I thought it was just going to be simple FTP stuff as I am used to, but as I've discovered its a completely different ball game! Im completely lost, stuck, haven't got a clue! It also seems that I can't get out of the contract because I went with a special, half-price offer. Basically its all the control panels that I'm lost with.

The server is running Linux (CentOS 5 with Plesk 9) and the Plesk CP looks aweful and everything is frankly double dutch! Hopefully Nick T, Dan Shane etc can help haha! Cheers in advance!

NIce, I do love Linux Mr Green

How can I help mate ?

Dan

Re: Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - Jonny Jones - 08 Apr 2009

Daniel Shane Wrote:
Jonny Jones Wrote:Just purchased a Virtual Server from 1&1.co.uk and I thought it was just going to be simple FTP stuff as I am used to, but as I've discovered its a completely different ball game! Im completely lost, stuck, haven't got a clue! It also seems that I can't get out of the contract because I went with a special, half-price offer. Basically its all the control panels that I'm lost with.

NIce, I do love Linux Mr Green

How can I help mate ?

Dan
Brilliant! Well I had no clue how to set it all up, but tbh, ive tried to cancel the whole contract but I need to ring them this morning as they say it wont be cancelled until this time next year, so I need to battle them to the ground cos its just so complex. If I have no luck Dan, I'll get back to you and get some tips on how to continue lol!

Re: Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - NickT - 08 Apr 2009

Virtual = Not real

Ha ha. Seriously my Linux is very basic. Most programming things I deal with are all Windows based unfortunately.
I think Dan would be best to ask if it is Linux.
Why do you need Virtual Servers? I understand the concept and recently looked into Acronis software in restoring images to Virtual servers though. Work a bit like Virtual PC's really.

NickT

Re: Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - Jonny Jones - 09 Apr 2009

Well I managed to cancel the Linux contract, they were very good about it. Basically Nick I went with a Virtual Server because the spec was sooo much better than a normal hosting server. 2TB of bandwidth pretty much sold it for me haha! I'll be getting a Microsoft package soon and I have a mate who can set it all up for me, he runs his own IT business. Thanks for your comments, offer of help and general interest lads Big Grin

Re: Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - Daniel Shane - 09 Apr 2009

That's ok mate. Horses for courses.

I really like unix and all it's flavours. The fact I can get them to do what I want for a fraction of the cost of MS stuff is great. Problem is unix has a very step learning curve. I've been using it for 15 years and I'm still learning every day !

Dan

Re: Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - Bandit - 10 Apr 2009

Ehh!!

Re: Anybody know much about Virtual Servers? - Jonny Jones - 10 Apr 2009

Daniel Shane Wrote:That's ok mate. Horses for courses.

I really like unix and all it's flavours. The fact I can get them to do what I want for a fraction of the cost of MS stuff is great. Problem is unix has a very step learning curve. I've been using it for 15 years and I'm still learning every day !

Dan

Thats the problem. I dont really have the time to learn, I need the server to just work, so im hoping the MS package and my mates help should suffice! Big Grin Thanks mate!