The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
DGS 803X Restoration - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL DELOREAN DISCUSSION (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Members Cars (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: DGS 803X Restoration (/showthread.php?tid=2021)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 27 Apr 2009

Today I bought her back to life. She's running again and I must say the new exhaust sounds good, although I only ran it for about 30 secs because I need to fill it with fresh coolant.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get coolant in and brake fluid and go for a test drive.

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - A Van - 27 Apr 2009

Great new Dan, I came past yours yesterday to see if you were outside 'playing'

Couldnt see anything though!

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 27 Apr 2009

You should of knocked on the door, I was probably in the garage.

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - jerzybondov - 27 Apr 2009

Dan1986 Wrote:Today I bought her back to life. She's running again and I must say the new exhaust sounds good, although I only ran it for about 30 secs because I need to fill it with fresh coolant..

It does sound good doesn't it? Big Grin That's until you gently touch the throttle on the motorway and it drowns out the stereo Shock Mr Green

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - arranj - 27 Apr 2009

That's exactly what led to me melting through a fuse box, leaving me in complete darkness! Sad - trying to compensate for exhaust noise by turning the volume up full (with the lights on full beam and the blower on full whack!).

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - jerzybondov - 27 Apr 2009

Sorry for the thread derailment Dan... but how much louder would you say your exhaust is over stock Arran? I had a blown gasket the only time I drove mine before the new exhaust went on...

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - arranj - 28 Apr 2009

Significant I'd say, although it's been a few years. I probably only did about 100 miles on the stock exhaust in 2005 - but I don't remember any real engine noise at all. When I got my car I didn't think the engine really sounded anywhere near the way it should :wink: - especially when compared to my 2 litre Vauxhall engined car (side exhaust, loud! Tongue ) so when I ordered my exhaust I asked for the "loudest they did" - which, as it happens, is the same as yours (I think the non-silenced one on Chris P./Dan Shane/John T's car is the only one that was produced?).
The difference standing behind the car is the most significant I think - the stock sounds just like a "normal" car, but the SS sounds like it means business 8)
The long journeys do take their toll on the eardrums though when you're sat in it, and I think this is main reason Jo hates going in it! - even a 2 mile journey means about 10 minutes of "conversation" afterwards.....! :roll: - Only because I can't drown it out with Radio 2 unless I happen to be driving right underneath a radio transmitter, and I don't exactly keep a "Will Young" CD in the car...., so music's banned as well!

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - JamesRGUK - 28 Apr 2009

jerzybondov Wrote:The long journeys do take their toll on the eardrums though when you're sat in it, and I think this is main reason Jo hates going in it! - even a 2 mile journey means about 10 minutes of "conversation" afterwards.....! :roll: - Only because I can't drown it out with Radio 2 unless I happen to be driving right underneath a radio transmitter, and I don't exactly keep a "Will Young" CD in the car...., so music's banned as well!

I haven't done a long trip in my D with the new exhaust yet as it won't be Taxed until the 1st of May, but if it is too loud in the cabin perhaps I'll look into some sound proofing.

When I was playing around with my old Trumph Spitfire a few years back I managed to get hold of some sound insulation from a helicopter re-trimming company near to where i lived. my dad seemed to know somone who worked there, they gave me a sheet about 200cm x 100cm of sound insulation. It was a dense material, almost like lead, you bent it and it stayed in shape with very sticky self adhesive on the back and it was very effctive at reducing the noise from the exhaust.

So if it does drone a bit on the motorway I might try and get hold of some more and look into putting that under the carpet on the rear shelf and the fire wall.

J

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - jerzybondov - 28 Apr 2009

Arran, what aerial have you got for such bad radio 2 pick up? Is it the built in windscreen one? Long journey wise my gf is OK with the D so far - the seats are more comfortable than the Mini, but the noise and subsequent inaudibility of stereo is a bummer. The absence of any ventilation (save the windows) and terrifying (sideways not backwards) brakes didn't make her very happy either but those are at least getting sorted. I'm very tempted to put some better speakers in the back in the hope that the new stereo can at least put some volume through those and maybe, maybe even a little bass.

James - let us know when you've had more of a go in the car. My feeling is that the noise comes in from everywhere - doors, seals etc. But if your bendy lead sheet fix helps and doesn't add 100kg it might be interesting...

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 28 Apr 2009

Gez, Run your stereo on the front speakers and put a small sub in the back, it should sound good then unless your front speakers are knackered but they are easy to change anyway. I have my rear speakers turned off because I don't like the sound coming from behind me.

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - A Van - 28 Apr 2009

I dont really think its very droney at all, it certainly wasnt that uncomfortable on the motorway.

A

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - bozzzydmc - 28 Apr 2009

A Van Wrote:I dont really think its very droney at all, it certainly wasnt that uncomfortable on the motorway.

A

Honestly guys .. mine is the same , im suprised that this is coming up as an issue at all ... If anyone wants to compare they are welcome to come out in my car at Eurotec ....

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - jerzybondov - 28 Apr 2009

Dan1986 Wrote:Gez, Run your stereo on the front speakers and put a small sub in the back, it should sound good then unless your front speakers are knackered but they are easy to change anyway. I have my rear speakers turned off because I don't like the sound coming from behind me.

Could be a good plan that - I can't hear anything from the rear speakers anyway over about 50mph. Is that what you've done in yours Dan?

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 28 Apr 2009

Yes thats what I did. I find the front speakers are good quality but you get no bass from them at all, so putting a small sub in the back solved that and it sounds good now.

Tony T has a sub too but being from sarfend he went for a bigger one. It does sound good though. At the october meet he had saving private ryan blasting out and it sounded like someone was firing a gun in the carpark!

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - arranj - 28 Apr 2009

Yes - don't get me wrong - you don't hear me complaining. Jo just doesn't see the beauty in the car at all Sad
I certainly wouldn't describe it as an "issue" - but it is certainly siginificantly louder, but that is the point 8) It probably doesn't help that I've got wind whistling through the doors as well - must sort those seals out!

I've got a windscreen aerial, and where I live is quite far from a transmitter, so it really does struggle - and not just Radio 2 :wink: Driving round the M25 though was fine reception wise.