The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
DGS 803X Restoration - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL DELOREAN DISCUSSION (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: Members Cars (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+--- Thread: DGS 803X Restoration (/showthread.php?tid=2021)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 20 Dec 2008

Hi there. For some reason my last thread of restoration pics got deleted from the forum and a couple of members have asked where the pics have all gone, so here they are again. I will keep adding photos each week as the project progresses.

[Image: 1.jpg]
[Image: 2.jpg]
[Image: 3.jpg]
[Image: 4.jpg]
[Image: 5.jpg]
[Image: 6.jpg]
[Image: 7.jpg]
[Image: 8.jpg]

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Birksie - 20 Dec 2008

Cool pictures.
It is quite upsetting however, that your garage is bigger than my house! :lol:

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 20 Dec 2008

:lol: My garage isn't very big really. Its only just long enough for the delorean and the chassis behind, and quite narrow too. I think it looks bigger in the pictures. The roofs also too low to put a lift in there Sad

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Guinney1971 - 20 Dec 2008

Dan,

fascinating pics - but a question - how do you roll the chassis out without it fouling on
the breeze blocks?

You've made it look very easy...... and Flopsy's chassis needs doing (although I'll take mine to
the place that did Julians in Nottingham, as its a bit closer to Derby then Holland!! lol

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 20 Dec 2008

Once the body was high enough I put a jack on both sides and lifted the back end off the blocks, slid the blocks out and put a length of wood across then dropped the body down, then did the same at the front. Then once the chassis was out I slid the blocks back in and removed the wood. Then gradually removed blocks to get the shell back down to a safe level.

I understand going to Ed's from Derby is a fair old trek! I got there and back on veg oil luckily so just paid for the channel crossing which was sod all. Ed is going to put it in acid once its stripped to remove all the rust from it. Then its being galvanized, then powdercoated. Ed is also re-tapping all the threads in it and putting copper grease in there so rebuilding should be quite easy Big Grin It should be a pretty mint car when back together Big Grin

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - jerzybondov - 22 Dec 2008

Where do you get your veg oil from Dan? And do you get a similar mpg from that as you would from diesel?

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 22 Dec 2008

Veg oil is scrounged from the local tip and the local pub. Mpg was about the same really. I won't be doing it anymore from now on though as my new car is a common rail diesel so can't take it. Anyway gone off topic a bit there :lol:

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 23 Dec 2008

The frame has now been stripped. Its shocking how rusty it was underneath solid looking epoxy coating.

[Image: 9.jpg]
[Image: 10.jpg]
[Image: 11.jpg]

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - mec - 23 Dec 2008

blimey mate ! mine looks worse than that now ! i think mine will disintigrate when i do eventually get it stripped !!!
doh !!

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Dan6457 - 24 Dec 2008

I recommend having it done mate. Also get it stripped before sticking in the galvanizing tank, then you can see whats going on under the epoxy, and make any necessary repairs.

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - TheOriginalMrP - 24 Dec 2008

Well, before it get's this bad anyway....... and mine has flew through the MOT like this 3 years running! :wink:

[Image: n720107586_1595037_4989.jpg]
[Image: n720107586_1595039_5601.jpg]
[Image: n720107586_1595041_6225.jpg]

Blimey whos is that! I have seen one worse than that at Ed's Shock

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - Guinney1971 - 24 Dec 2008

I'll stick some pics up later of a car that I saw at the DMCH Open House in 2003.

It was from one of the more northern US States that are renowned for the corrosive salt they
put on the roads Sad

Put it this way, a frayed teabag had more integrity then the frame on that particular car.....

Re: DGS 803X Restoration - A Van - 24 Dec 2008

If its that bad you dont really have a choice but to strip the frame in an oven and repair then galvanise it, less risky as well.

Otherwise you can dip it with the epoxy on if your convinced the frame isnt that bad, the epoxy is burnt off as soon as its dipped and floats to the surface.

But it does stress the frame and is really risky, but is cheaper... in the three DeLorean chassis that have been done by Medway, they have all turned out ok..but you never know.

I chose Ed to do it becuase I could leave it with him over xmas and get it back all done and ready to go with the threads tapped out and greased ready to go. Also I wanted it stripped before going in the tank becuase otherwise your galvanising over rust. I don't know what Medway charge and what powdercoating is but I doubt Ed is all that much more and will save a lot of messing about and risk.