The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum
Steering rack bracket (drivers side round one) - Printable Version

+- The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: GENERAL DELOREAN DISCUSSION (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Forum: DeLorean Cars or Parts For Sale or Wanted (http://www.deloreans.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Steering rack bracket (drivers side round one) (/showthread.php?tid=1413)

Steering rack bracket (drivers side round one) - Barson - 17 Mar 2008

Hi

to cut a long story short: I knackered mine. :oops:

Does anyone have a spare driver's side steering rack bracket they'd sell to me? it's the rounder one of the two.

cheers me dears.

Dave.

- Chris Williams - 17 Mar 2008

I had the same problem when I removed mine, the threads were bust. Unfortunatly DMCH have run out of these, (they have plenty of the others :roll: ) I did get a secondhand one but the thread snapped on this also. In the end I cut off the round threaded part (like an exhaust clamp) and welded on some bolts with the head cut off.
Chris

- Barson - 17 Mar 2008

cheers Chris.

I was thinking of cutting off the round bar and replacing it with some screw thread.

I made the mistake of not using a HT steel nut when re-installing mine - it didn't take a lost for the thing to cross thread and couldn't get the thing off without cutting through it with my mini cutting tool (unfortunatly I'd knackered the thread.)

ta
Dave.

- Barson - 17 Mar 2008

what's this thing plated in? kind of goldie/copper colour?

:? :?:

- Phil Peters - 18 Mar 2008

Hi Barson,

If it's like many of the other plated components on the car, it'll be zinc I think.

Cheers,

Phil

- Barson - 18 Mar 2008

hi

yeah - i thought that, but on the underside it looks shiny goldie colour. Doesn't galvenising with zinc produce a flat grey colour?

ho hum :oops:

- Chris Williams - 18 Mar 2008

Barson Wrote:cheers Chris.

I was thinking of cutting off the round bar and replacing it with some screw thread.

I made the mistake of not using a HT steel nut when re-installing mine - it didn't take a lost for the thing to cross thread and couldn't get the thing off without cutting through it with my mini cutting tool (unfortunatly I'd knackered the thread.)

ta
Dave.

Be carefull using threaded rod, from my limited usage with it, it is a fairly soft metal, and easy to strip the threads (again) :oops:

Chris

- stunned_monkey - 18 Mar 2008

Silver plating is zing, gold plating is (or was) cadmium. These days it's yellow chromate (sp?) but that's being banned too apparently.

I have a couple of sets of rack brackets.

- Barson - 18 Mar 2008

ahh - cadmium.

can you sell me one bracket? :oops: or do i need the pair? :? Smile

- Barson - 18 Mar 2008

or i should say, do i have to buy the pair? Smile

- Phil Peters - 18 Mar 2008

This is taken from the Millennium Concours group and was posted by Dave Swingle to show the difference between cadmium plating and OEM-style yellow zinc plating:

[Image: baf4.jpg]

The caption for the photo reads "Darker one is Cadmium, Yellow Zinc is proper"

- stunned_monkey - 18 Mar 2008

I don't think yellow zinc existed in the early 80's... I thought it was developed as a replacement for Cd when that became illegal... dunno for sure.

No, I won't make you buy the pair Wink