The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: 80s photo of RHD DeLorean in Ashby-de-la-Zouch
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thought this was an interesting photo of a RHD DeLorean I came across on the Facebook page of where I live.

Shame you cant see the number plate. But looking at it I'm pretty sure it's one of the black interior Wooler Hodec cars.

It's taken of a carnival parade in Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

It looks like the early 80s looking at the fashion and the Austin Princess in the background.

After a bit more research - the passenger in the car - which you can just about see - was Simon Groom of Blue Peter at the time - and he formally opened the carnival with Goldie the dog leading the parade in a DeLorean!  How cool was that!

Update - Found a picture of Simon Groom and Goldie the dog !!
Awesome photos, thank you for sharing Smile
I suspect ChrisP may know who that is I'm guessing Simon?

Chris
Its very likely a Wooler Hodec, I don't think that is Simon LM...too young....even then!

Dave H may recognise him.?
That's brilliant, it must become of the earlier documented sightings of a DeLorean in the wild in GB.
(20 Mar 2021, 22:37)Rich Hanlon Wrote: [ -> ]That's brilliant, it must become of the earlier documented sightings of a DeLorean in the wild in GB.

Have you got a definite date for the picture?
Simon Groome was my era of watching Blue Peter, I think he left in the early 80's, so I'd say this picture is pre 1983.
The date of the carnival was the 30th of May 1983. 

Managed to find another photo of the car with the reg plate.

Although I have tracked the car down - it now resides in the Lakeland Motor Museum in Cumbria.

Interesting placement of the antenna.
Aghhh.... I know the car well. I first saw it when it was at Holkham Hall???? The first home for the museum.

It belonged to Roy Bates Racing untill last year, when he sold it to the museum. It was quite scruffy underneath, so must have been used by the factory quite a bit. Vin 758 if I recall correctly.
It's great to put so much information behind an old photo taken 38 years ago!