The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Radiator refurbishment or replacement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks, as part of my complete restoration of 6126 I need to replace the radiator as the side tanks are only held on by force of habit. Does anyone have any recommendations for a refurbishment place ideally in the Birmingham to Sheffield range?  Or is it more cost effective to bin it and mend it with a new one? Cheers Rich

[attachment=715]
I had mine done many many years ago by Martin G. Re-cored or whatever they call it. I think Rich H just had his done last year from memory, but i can't remember if it was re-cored (i suspect it was) or replaced with a like manufactured unit built bespoke for him.

You'll probably be spending the same amount of money to get it re-cored compared to getting a completely new one from a vendor these days (not such a good option for me when i had to get mine repaired about 9yrs ago! - but choice and availability has improved drastically over the years!)
Thanks Chris, I'll ask the other RH when I see him.

another thought is whether anybody had one available as a good condition second hand item if them have replaced or upgraded?  I'd be interested in anything decent.  Cheers, Rich
Up to you, if it were me I would bin it and get one of Ed's (sold by various vendors) along with a new set of fans....... however you may prefer to stay original, I'm sure re-cored it will last another 40 years!
Chris
Cheers Chris. I'm not an ultra-purist so I would happily fit a modern one , it's more a matter of limiting the expenditure!! I may try Eds it depends on the exchange rate!
There used to be a chap at Mickelover (near us) and someone down Ascot drive in Derby, who re-cored them.

But I'd be inclined to do down the alloy route, they are (apparently ) more efficient. More efficient fans would be a must for me.....if I ever get to working in that area.
(15 Jan 2020, 09:35)Chris P Wrote: [ -> ]There used to be a chap at Mickelover (near us) and someone down Ascot drive in Derby, who re-cored them.

But I'd be inclined to do down the alloy route, they are (apparently ) more efficient. More efficient fans would be a must for me.....if I ever get to working in that area.

Thanks for those thoughts, I didn't know there was anyone that close by doing them.  I'll investigate.  Yep, I have been thinking of uprating the fans too, there are several  options though I've got to be careful how much cash I'm lobbing at it at the moment.

Chassis repairs underway too...
Just last week I put my radiator/fan/condenser assembly back on my car after having it off for refurbishing etc. I'll admit i took the motor assembly apart and cleaned up the motors etc. They look pretty damned good, but i'll admit that having never had working AC to experience from. Once i get the AC working hopefully in the next few months; i will be interested to see how i feel about me keeping the old fans/motors instead of replacing them for new ones. I hear that the constant cycling of the fans with the compressor (and the massive current draw every time they start and then run) really wears on people, and that more than anything makes them change them out for more modern and less current demanding equivalents, but since i'm not expecting my fans to cycle on and off with the compressor due to my wiring being modified, i'm hoping it wont concern me so much. Time will tell.