The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: cross references for relays
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

does anyone have any cross references for relays and circuit breakers?. i need to replace all of mine, and from memory the relays were cheap standard things.

not sure about the circuit breakers.

i already have an RPM relay.

i need to ave a few £££ to spend on new fuel lines.

thank you
Breakers are a bit more difficult. I've done research on these a while back and could generally speaking only find them in America to buy (ratings our cars use at least). Someone else may know different (I'm all ears in that case!). Otherwise, its a vendor job for those. For note, they're "bussmann shortstop circuit breakers". A google search will bring up the sort of hits I've found before.

Relays are dead easy though. A mixture of Type A (centre pin labelled "87a") and Type B (centre pin labelled "87b"). In a lot of cases, i'm sure, they're just Type A (although some might have Type B in those places and vice versa, but not important as the centre pin isn't even used in some cases (where the centre pin is used, it's a bit more important on the Type employed there). Type A = toggle between 87a and 87. Type B = 87b and 87 are always linked together.

My advice is to pull them out one at a time, looking at the labelling on them in turn; count the number of Type A your car is using, and Type B your car is using; then swap with like for like. That way you know you're not changing anything from what it was previously.

Just remember that some modules look like relays, but they aren't:

i.e. Blue RPM module, Blue Fan Fail module, Red Centre Console dimming module, Green rear windscreen heater timer module, White interior lamp delay module.

Just remember your Main Relay, and Accessories Relay are big beasties! Both Type B (in my case). So not the "typical" sizes compared to all the others.
Breakers are a bit more difficult.  I've done research on these a while back and could generally speaking only find them in America to buy (ratings our cars use at least).  Someone else may know different (I'm all ears in that case!).  Otherwise, its a vendor job for those.  For note, they're "bussmann shortstop circuit breakers".  A google search will bring up the sort of hits I've found before.

Relays are dead easy though.  A mixture of Type A (centre pin labelled "87a") and Type B (centre pin labelled "87b").  In a lot of cases, i'm sure, they're just Type A (although some might have Type B in those places and vice versa, but not important as the centre pin isn't even used in some cases (where the centre pin is used, it's a bit more important on the Type employed there).  Type A = toggle between 87a and 87.  Type B = 87b and 87 are always linked together.

My advice is to pull them out one at a time, looking at the labelling on them in turn; count the number of Type A your car is using, and Type B your car is using; then swap with like for like.  That way you know you're not changing anything from what it was previously.

Just remember that some modules look like relays, but they aren't:

i.e.  Blue RPM module, Blue Fan Fail module, Red Centre Console dimming module, Green rear windscreen heater timer module, White interior lamp delay module.

Just remember your Main Relay, and Accessories Relay are big beasties!  Both Type B (in my case).  So not the "typical" sizes compared to all the others.

Hi

Thankyou, DeLoreango are not there till end of next week so was trying to sort what i can.

looks like my whole electrical board is a bit of a mess, so am going to test all the fuses or replace and replace all the relays and circuit breakers.
Relays, typically are normally ok. Maybe just a clean up. They're good for many many thousands of operations. So in the lifetime of a car, they should never need changing....normally. Same goes for breakers (although maybe not for thousands of operations). They're thermal cut off breakers which reset themselves when they cool down. So it's not like they need to be replaced after they operate every time. If they do operate, then you normally have much bigger problems. Fuses, again, unless they've operated, or melted; they shouldn't need changing either. But a clean up of their terminals doesn't go amiss.

In this area, it's the fuse box which is a biggest issue. They. Are. Rubbish. Rubbish design. Rubbish materials. Just Rubbish. I'd recommend changing the fuse box for something more modern. Three rows of six, underneath connected fuse boxes, or an alternative solution of your choice.

After you've done this, everything will be much better. Maintenance free. Reliable. Just. Better.