The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Self-drive hire for my 18th b'day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone
This year I will be turning 18 in July Big Grin and I would love it if I could have the chance to drive a Delorean.

I know this is kind of a grey area for you guys as I've seen other people ask before but they were unknown to the club but most of you know me personally (car shows & meet-ups) would anyone be willing to do this

Also I am a fully qualified driver and own my own car (not a DMC unfortunately but close in colour)
Hi Will,
it depends what you mean by 'drive', I think insurance would be a big problem, plus driving a wide LHD car is not easy at first, especially for a newish driver.

However if a quick drive around the private road on the Keddleston estate, nearby me would do....then we could sort that out no problem and at no cost ........and in a car with the steering wheel on the correct side!

Mind you it is an auto....but forget your left foot and that's not an issue! Big Grin
(01 Feb 2019, 10:24)Chris P Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Will,
it depends what you mean by 'drive', I think insurance would be a big problem, plus driving a wide LHD car is not easy at first, especially for a newish driver.

However if a quick drive around the private road on the Keddleston estate, nearby me would do....then we could sort that out no problem and at no cost ........and in a car with the steering wheel on the correct side!

Mind you it is an auto....but forget your left foot and that's not an issue! Big Grin
True insurance might be a difficult one to tackle and with it being wide and LHD would take some getting used to, and the idea of the keddleston estate would be good to experience driving one without other drivers
I've pencilled you in my diary..........again! Wink

if you come up with a better offer, please let my know.
Yea we can confirm dates closer to then and I do like the idea of going to that estate near you
That sound like a very kind offer from Mr P. Thanks Chris.

Chris
(31 Jan 2019, 21:21)Chris Williams Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.webbsofweybridge.co.uk/delorean-to-hire

Do not hire from them. I drove that car and I am *still* dealing with the consequences.
(01 Feb 2019, 23:17)Matt Clark Wrote: [ -> ]
(31 Jan 2019, 21:21)Chris Williams Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.webbsofweybridge.co.uk/delorean-to-hire

Do not hire from them. I drove that car and I am *still* dealing with the consequences.

I had emailed them just to gather some info about it but I'd rather not. And what consequences you having to deal with Matt?
For a start, the car is a bit of a stinkier. Visually it’s quite rough, the fascias are the wrong colour, interior trim is falling off or held on with tape, the windows and air con don’t work, the steering column is loose and bangs and thuds over bumps, and the reverse lockout is broken so you can’t do a smooth (or spritely) change into second gear without it wanting to go into reverse and grinding like a bastard.

It’s had none of the common sense updates done so on the day I drove it, when it was 30 degrees (great with no windows or air con!) it kept breaking down as it was suffering from the collapsing fuel hose issue. This wasn’t ideal in the remote Surrey hills. The company will tell you it doesn’t ever break down “apart from that one time” in a newspaper report, but I’ve driven past it broken down on the M40 at random before that, and it broke down on a TV show (overheating). It really should not be anyone’s first experience of a DeLorean - that’s the fourth one I’ve driven and it was just a deeply unpleasant experience.

The insurance side of it is horrendous, too. An Uber driver hit us when we were in the car (minor bodywork damage) and the fallout from that has been going on for 8 months. They’ve sat on the £1000 deposit since July, despite me having a collision waiver, and the insurance company they use is so bad that I’ve had to get the ombudsman involved - it’s been 8 months and they still haven’t asked for a statement from me, but told Webb’s that I’d admitted liability (except I hadn’t because they’d never spoken to me).

I honestly can’t stress enough how important it is to say away from them.
(02 Feb 2019, 13:09)Matt Clark Wrote: [ -> ]For a start, the car is a bit of a stinkier. Visually it’s quite rough, the fascias are the wrong colour, interior trim is falling off or held on with tape, the windows and air con don’t work, the steering column is loose and bangs and thuds over bumps, and the reverse lockout is broken so you can’t do a smooth (or spritely) change into second gear without it wanting to go into reverse and grinding like a bastard.

It’s had none of the common sense updates done so on the day I drove it, when it was 30 degrees (great with no windows or air con!) it kept breaking down as it was suffering from the collapsing fuel hose issue. This wasn’t ideal in the remote Surrey hills. The company will tell you it doesn’t ever break down “apart from that one time” in a newspaper report, but I’ve driven past it broken down on the M40 at random before that, and it broke down on a TV show (overheating). It really should not be anyone’s first experience of a DeLorean - that’s the fourth one I’ve driven and it was just a deeply unpleasant experience.

The insurance side of it is horrendous, too. An Uber driver hit us when we were in the car (minor bodywork damage) and the fallout from that has been going on for 8 months. They’ve sat on the £1000 deposit since July, despite me having a collision waiver, and the insurance company they use is so bad that I’ve had to get the ombudsman involved - it’s been 8 months and they still haven’t asked for a statement from me, but told Webb’s that I’d admitted liability (except I hadn’t because they’d never spoken to me).

I honestly can’t stress enough how important it is to say away from them.
Yikes definitely glad im not hiring it out. Kind of bad if they cant keep a car looking presentable both inside and out not to mention mechanicaly sound. Wonder if they would ever sell it would be a nice restoration project
Hi all

i know this is a late post but id like to thank Chris P for letting me drive AXI 1698 around kedleston hall on Tuesday, i had lots of fun as we met sir Richard Curzon , and made a few people's day when they saw us in the park.
[attachment=581]

going to add the video that Chris took to the youtube channel along with some other footage which im putting together.

Thank you so much Chris P for the experience and the book  Smile
 ("Motor makers in Ireland" before anyone asks  Big Grin Big Grin )