The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: VIN 5219
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quote:I changed the otterstat
And get a spare and wire in a bypass to a switch you can access from the drivers seat so you can just over-ride it as needed. Some of the otterstasts live for weeks only........
Chris
Good advice. I was always planning on adding a fan switch to one of the dummys in the console.

Anywho, here is a video of me test driving the car. I make no apologies for choice of song or the victory grins Big Grin

I should have added that it idles at just under the 10rpm level and starts up first time. Fans kicked in at a lower temp this time where they should kick in which is great. 

Needs a new angle drive as the speedo is dead. Is a non working speedo an MOT failure?
(02 Jun 2019, 23:35)DMC1983 Wrote: [ -> ]Is a non working speedo an MOT failure?

I'm petty sure it is, but then again, what MOT test gets the car up to speed enough for a non working one to be noticed?!
Quote:Is a non working speedo an MOT failure?
Yes it is, I would suggest using a 'classic' friendly garage for your MOT though if you have not already got one lined up.
Chris
I was planning on using the mot center that chris n uses. Not sure how classic friendly they are though
Update:

So the car is now pretty much ready for its first ever MOT. Still need to get the fog light mod done and sort the angle drive. Ive opted for the single speedo cable bypassing the LAMBDA. Im waiting on the angle drive nut to come through as I cant get the original off without damaging it. 

Things ive done since my last post:

Sorted the brake system. I have rebuilt all the calipers with new seals, pistons and bleed screws and added new pads and shims. New discs all round and sorted the terrible handbrake too. I had to file down the outside pads so they would be in full contact with the disc. Still not great but a hell of a lot better than before. I installed a 50:50 brake master as the original had leaked hence the rust spot and the whole system was bled with new fresh dot 4. It stops very well now.

[attachment=576]
[attachment=577]
[attachment=578]
[attachment=579]

Ive put in new tie rod ends and replaced the rubber gaitors as they were split (MOT failure right there) and i plan on doing the lower ball joints soon. 

I decided i needed to finally sort the dropped passenger window as a plastic bag taped over the covering was annoying. I managed to remove the motor with difficultly and decided to hook it up to the drivers side as i knew that side worked. Well bugger me it worked. I tested the switch and found it had no power going down but did going up. Some contact cleaner sorted that. I connected the motor back up to the passenger side and nothing. My next thought was a break between the switch and motor. Great. However i decided to try hooking the wires up to the motor the other way round. Voila it worked. Happy days. I put everything back together and finally got to put the door cards back on. At some point i will be changing them for new ones but that can wait now.

Headlights are now H4s with LED sidelights in UK spec. I decided to have sidelights in all 4 lamps. The inner ones are connected to the lower amber indicators and the outer lamps are connected to the sidemarkers. However, ive clearly messed up somewhere as the hazards are fine when sidelights are off but once they are on the hazards flash alternatively at the front only. The side markers are all LED now and all have new gaskets too.

[attachment=580]

Changed the window squirter/clamp and hose and that all works nicely. Working wishy washys checked off for the MOT.

Ive added new seals to the lower doors.

Theres still much to do but getting it on the road is within sight now. Ill be adding convex mirrors as frankly you cant see much of anything through the original ones. Eventually ill be moving to the cosmetics of the car but still have other things to do. I want to get lower front springs and change the LCAs to the updated ones from DGo.
Nice work. Nearly there...  Cool
So after a little hiccup i now have fog lights. The other day I wired the mod up and the car wouldnt start. What had I done! So i took the whole mod out and the car still wouldnt start. Turned out one of the starter motor wires had come loose. D'OH! So today I wired up the mod again and presto, fantastical it all runs as does the car. Yay!

I also now have a working speedo so all thats left to do now is get it booked in for an MOT, its first ever. It should pass with maybe the odd advisory but im hoping for a full clean pass. 

Its taken 4 months to get to this stage and i cant believe the day is finally here.
So did the car pass the rigorous, unforgiving and torturous MOT? Well yes it did, with flying colours. Yay!

One advisory which is the speed at which the right indicator flashes as it flashes more than 120 times a minute. Meh, a pass is a pass.

Next step.... registering 

The car drove wonderfully. The temp stayed where it should so the fans never came on the whole time. I cant wait to finally drive the car regularly 

[attachment=584]
(27 Jul 2019, 16:32)DMC1983 Wrote: [ -> ]So did the car pass the rigorous, unforgiving and torturous MOT? Well yes it did, with flying colours. Yay!

One advisory which is the speed at which the right indicator flashes as it flashes more than 120 times a minute. Meh, a pass is a pass.

Next step.... registering 

The car drove wonderfully. The temp stayed where it should so the fans never came on the whole time. I cant wait to finally drive the car regularly 

Congrats on a successful MOT  Big Grin Big Grin
Great news,

did you use LED bulbs in the indicators? If so, you need a special additional resister in there, to slow them down. Easy to get and fit.

Well done with getting it on the road...you beat me to it!
Ive got LEDs as sidelights and in the sidemarkers, h4 headlight bulbs and original incandescent bulbs in the indicators.

The right indicator has always been fast even before i installed LEDs. I think it may be down to the indicator stalk itself. 

At the moment im not too concerned with it. Ive yet to install the flasher relay and i want to fully convert to LED anyway. Its an advisory so even if its there for the next MOT i know it wont fail.

Now now chris its not a race, but if it were, im winning  Big Grin
Paperwork has now been sent off to the DVLA for registering. Fingers crossed for a smooth process
Fan override switch is now in place. The car is really coming along nicely.

Does anyone know how long it takes the DVLA to process the registration and get the V5 etc back to me? They should receive my application tomorrow
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6