The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: VIN 4267 comes to England
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Great work Matt, I'm sure you'll all have 'great fun' with it Wink

"buy a DeLorean they said, it'll be fun they said...…."
It's been fun so far! But that's just been taking photos.

I'm going to do the brakes as my first job I think - change pads, bleed and inspect the discs - even *I* can't get that wrong...
I think best thing to do, assuming you haven't already, is get a big whiteboard and make a to-do list and cross
it off as you go, otherwise you'll end up like me when I start doing stuff, with 4 or 5 different jobs on the go at once lol

Anyway, its great to have another De up in the East Midlands, and I'm looking forward to seeing progress on this one Smile
(13 Jun 2018, 07:44)Nick H Wrote: [ -> ]DMCH have a incomplete list of key codes to VIN numbers so it will be worth shooting them an email to see if they have yours and can cut a new key(s) from the code. One advantage is you have the one key system.

Do you know if any of the other suppliers carry this? DMCH - specifically Espey - have some sort of blood beef with me and won't reply to any emails I send. I don't really mind starting from scratch with the locks but I'll have to break open the locking compartment in the interior, I guess?
(25 Jun 2018, 20:33)Matt Clark Wrote: [ -> ]DMCH - specifically Espey - have some sort of blood beef with me and won't reply to any emails I send.

Sorry to go off topic - but I agree on this point..... I tried for 3 weeks to get hold of them to buy a DeLorean from them not long before I bought 11477..... zero email replies and no joy even when I called!!

Anyway, best of luck with sourcing the keys and barrels however you tackle it.

Tris
(25 Jun 2018, 20:33)Matt Clark Wrote: [ -> ]
(13 Jun 2018, 07:44)Nick H Wrote: [ -> ]DMCH have a incomplete list of key codes to VIN numbers so it will be worth shooting them an email to see if they have yours and can cut a new key(s) from the code. One advantage is you have the one key system.

Do you know if any of the other suppliers carry this? DMCH - specifically Espey - have some sort of blood beef with me and won't reply to any emails I send. I don't really mind starting from scratch with the locks but I'll have to break open the locking compartment in the interior, I guess?

You could try DMCMW - they could maybe help.

They may just call DMCH and once they find 4267 on the black list, then you're Bernsteined Tongue
Lol @ Dermot Big Grin

DMCMW are quick to respond via FB messenger - worth a shot for sure.
Thanks guys, got a virtually instant reply from DMCMW so we'll see where that goes...
Congrats on getting a car Matt, I remember that article and it was also one of the first pictures that I saw of a 'normal' DeLorean without the BTTF stuff on the back!

[The car has no headliners and I'm sure I saw something written on the drivers door panel which I hope is the code. If I'm missing the ignition can I get that coded to the current code or do I have to start over?]

I rebuilt my ignition barrel after it decided to collapse inside. In theory it could be adjusted for another key but it's a fiddly job with tiny springs that could ping off never to be seen again... 

The key code should be on both doors, written near the VIN number and might have a K before the 4 digits or an X after the digits. 
The ignition barrel is an Austin Rover part no CRC3914

Try Dave Howarth he might have one...

Best of luck with the restoration  
This is the one I got - hopefully it's the right one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153051346766

Thanks for the tip re: DMCMW - they were ace. Less than 24hrs and they're sorting out a set of keys for me. (postage is a bit brutal tho, bloody hell)
You might try giving them a call re the postage. You'll be buying a lot of stuff over the next few months/years/decades so a personal connection could save you a fortune.

Seems to be a common issue for them (and others) with international shipments. They are set up for shipping bigger stuff but two keys in a padded envelope shouldn't be too ruinous if they use the US Postal rather than FedEx or UPS
I concur with DM a small packet from the states should be cheap, ask them to do you a favour and send it snail mail... worth a try. I recently got a Blu Ray from the US for £7 including postage!
Handy dandy postage price calculator

https://postcalc.usps.com/?gclid=EAIaIQo...gJgdfD_BwE

ignore the "flat rate" options for light stuff. That's probably what they use.
Thanks guys - will look at that in the future. I was happy to have it expedited this time around as I have car time at the end of next month and that might be it until October - just taken a job that runs till March so I'll have money but no time (it really is one or the other for me). On the subject of postage, I missed out on some refurb-able headliner cores on DMCtalk at $8 each (!) because the flat rate shipping was nearly $100.

The steering lock I bought came - does this look right? Dave H said he should have one that doesn't lock, worst case, but I'm hoping this is the one.

[Image: 42187326535_4ba5e3513d_b.jpg]
[Image: 29219836828_70ec449446_b.jpg]
[Image: 29219841468_8800f7f9e0_b.jpg]
[Image: 29219844228_7c53fedb57_b.jpg]
I'm late to the party!!
Nice write up , nice project- keep posting because you and I will be doing very similar jobs over the next year or so.  Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6