The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Deposit paid on Vin..... 005127.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
All back together, won't be to everyones liking but I'm liking the 'french' tint. Also brought the indicators forward, by 12mm spacers, just to make them slightly more visible.

[Image: 2015-02-12152001_zpsecc08d40.jpg]
Started looking at rear end today.
Haven't got pic, but noticed one of the orange indicators in the rear near-side light cluster has washed out to a yellow colour.
Is there anyway of re-colouring the lens?
What paint?
Any ideas?
The indicator lens thing is quite common Karl. Mine is exactly the same.

To be honest the only sure way to rectify this and not have 2 totally different indicator colours is to buy 2 replacement rear lenses and sell your old ones seperately as spares.

Or failing that attempt to use some sort of tinting spray on the inside if that's possible.

Mine only shows up to the naked eye when the hazards are on and one is more orange than the other. In daylight, it's not as apparent. You could always put orange 21w bulbs in there designed for clear lenses? The added orange in the reflector may darken the lens a bit as opposed to the clear bulb perhaps?
i've seen that yellow lacquer stuff done inside the lens before … it worked and was quick and cheap.
Any ideas what its called or where to get it Chris?
No sorry, but the RAC used to supply it for tinting headlights when driving abroad.
Ordered some orange tint film from ebay, £4 posted, we'll see how it goes.
Had another couple of hours on the D. Fitted the stainless lettering, I used Tiger-Seal to fix it. Also wired in the rear fog-light. Gone for the old bumper mounted type, mainly because I had a vintage one already, I may change it to Mike's built-in version at a later date.............

[Image: 2015-02-15173045_zps18df77f7.jpg]

While I was doing stuff I came across several things that I had no idea what they were or what they did.......

Behind drivers seat, what do they do?........

[Image: 2015-02-15173108_zpsbceb0ba8.jpg]

Black circler thing (centre of pic) with wiring connector on top, What is it & what does it do?.........

[Image: 2015-02-15173144_zps8e9326f4.jpg]

Also my louvered cover doesn't catch onto lower cover. Is it all complete?............

[Image: 2015-02-15174449_zpsf20aabfd.jpg]

Lastly, how does the charcoal filter work? When does it need changing? Thanks in advance.
Started on the rear end, which meant turning the car round, first drive since buying it, all of 300metres.
Seat was very comfy..............

[Image: 2015-02-16153221_zpsc5114569.jpg]

Volks kept a keen eye on the stripping down...........

[Image: 2015-02-16153133_zps630d5fb2.jpg]
MOT today...... Failed!
Tie-rod ends & steering boots as I already knew but also headlight patten. Bummer.
Got them to do tie-rods & boots, so much easier and quicker on a nice ramp.
I rewired head lights & removed 'French tint'.
Retest, failed on headlights, bugger. How annoying.

Anyhow while driving it around for first time a few things came to my attention........
Revs are too high, 1500rpm is normal, occasional drops to 800rpm, Air-leak?
Fuel gauge works but it bounces all over the place, Accelerate and it shows empty, down-hill braking & I've suddenly got 3/4 of a tank, Normal?
Strange clunk from front end, not a MOT/safety issue, but don't like it, had a look Aftermarket suspension doesn't look like there is a steel tube over threaded end of dampener, Top nut & washer seems to be crushing top rubber bush too much. Does that make sense? Should there be tube?
Whats wrong with the headlights? Simply need adjusting?
Rev's could be an air leak, there are lots of vacume pipes to come adrift...
Fuel gauge, may be one of SpecialT's replacemnts they work like that. Accurate on flat gorund not moving!
Pictures of OE shocks hear: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5730 Do they look like this? Or replacements. Sometimes the springs can make a noise if there not seated.
Chris
Your first picture is the idle computer.

Second pic the idle Speed Motor which basically is a servo that controls air flow during times when the engine may need more air at idle (such as warm up).

Third picture looks complete but the spring looks like it has come loose. There is a "U" bolt on the engine cover that it latches to. The adjustment is made with small nuts on each side that can raise or lower the bolt to catch the upper louver assembley. Some bending may be reqiured to make it line up. Be sure to remove the bolt before trying to bend it or the cover will bend with it.

For your idle problem you have a lot to set and check first. You want to visually inspect your vacuum hoses to see if there is anything obvious. Make sure your throttle plates are closing properly at idle/no pedal. The idle microswitch adjustment needs to be checked and or set as well. Use a multimeter to check the swithc with to make sure it's still good. You will also want to check the air mixture but do not adjust it right now. You set this as a last because you may be masking the real problem by adjusting it. Nine times out of 10 however, the metal plug is missing and someone had monkeyed around with it already.

You can also remove the idle computer and visually inspect it. Look for leaking capacitors, burn spots, loose components. That's not going to tell you for certain it's broke, but if you see anything I mentioned, then replace it. The only way to really test is to replace with a known working computer. We have a guy over here that builds these things (along with many other DeLorean components) for much cheaper than OE, and it's all solid state. I have several of his components in my car and I am going to get a fuel computer just to have on standby if I ever need another one.

dm-eng.weebly.com

Worry about the fuel sender later. Sounds like a sticking sending unit. You will most likely be pulling the fuel pump before too long anyway, look at it then.
Thanks for those replies, I will run through & check them.
Had a little poke around today, couldn't see any loose/missing vacuum pipes.
I did find this U shaped rubber pipe, it was on the silver nozzle...........

[Image: 2015-03-02%2017.02.49_zpspv94jg1o.jpg]

[Image: 2015-03-02%2017.03.16_zpslflhazks.jpg]

Unsure if this should have a pipe connected or if its just a breather.

Started engine for a few minutes it ticked over lovely at about 800rpm. The high revving seems to be intermittent.
Also re-trimmed binnacle & side-panel bolster turned up aswell.

[Image: 2015-03-02%2017.11.30_zpslnkomkcm.jpg]

[Image: 2015-03-02%2017.11.52_zpsjh35rr45.jpg]

[Image: 2015-03-02%2017.04.59_zpsawykdt2x.jpg]

Looks dead smart, so nice to have it all back together again. MOT retest tomorrow.
Quote:Unsure if this should have a pipe connected or if its just a breather.
yep just a breather. designed to dump excess fuel direct on to your exhaust manifold :roll: :lol:
Good luck with the MOT.
Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12