The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Deposit paid on Vin..... 005127.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Thats great news, another one on the road in the UK. Enjoy.
Chris
Show plates should be with me on Monday.
Need to do some miles in prep for mille miglia grand tour.
Have a list of bits-spares ready to order but want to investigate the now not working Speedo first.
Do these engines have speed sensors? Gearbox?
http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/images/categorie/511.gif
Usually the angle drive is the culprit, but can also be the plastic dust cap spinning/lambda counter/Etc. Take the front wheel off first and start investigating!

Chris
Before actioning Chris' steps check near the pedals that no one has unscrewed/undone the speedo cable(s) from the Lambda Counter. From the factory there are two lengths:-
First cable from from the dash binnacle to the Lambda Counter (a little box with what looks like an odometer on it, located near the pedals) and then the next cable from the bottom of the Lambda counter front wheel.
Been out driving the Delorean. Done about 40 miles. Have found a few faults...........

Speedo......
Still playing up. Had a strip down. Angle-drive seems to work ok. Lower cable was alittle chewed, after cleaning and putting back together, was all good & working...... for the next 20 miles, stopped working again. Will investigate again later.
Engine start up.........
Starts well, doesn't smell too rich, but on cold start-up tick-over revs bounce. It revs from 600rpm to 1000rpm. It does this until it reaches normal running temp and then the tick-over becomes more steady. Ticking-over at about 800rpm.
Front brakes catching.........
My D has had new pads & disc's and refurbed calipers. Only the pads seem to be ever-so-slightly catching. With radio off, window open, doing about 25mph, I could hear a slight catching sound, lightly applying the brakes, stopped the noise. Had alook at pads, there doesn't seem to be any springs or holders and the pads are falling/learning against the disc. I'm guessing I need spacer kits to hold the pads away from the discs. Seems expensive but is this them........... http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/product_ ... _id=100006
Quote:the next 20 miles, stopped working again. Will investigate again later.
Perhaps the plastic dust cap is not very tight in the hub? usually an angle drive works or does not.
Quote:It does this until it reaches normal running temp and then the tick-over becomes more steady. Ticking-over at about 800rpm.
Thought they all did this! Big Grin
Quote:Front brakes catching.........
Could it be the flexi brake hoses not allowing the fluid back?? I may have some of the parts you linked to... but I 'think' that they are more anti-squeal shims that go behind the pads rather than pressing the pads back against the caliper.
Chris
Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:the next 20 miles, stopped working again. Will investigate again later.
Perhaps the plastic dust cap is not very tight in the hub? usually an angle drive works or does not.
Quote:It does this until it reaches normal running temp and then the tick-over becomes more steady. Ticking-over at about 800rpm.
Thought they all did this! Big Grin
Quote:Front brakes catching.........
Could it be the flexi brake hoses not allowing the fluid back?? I may have some of the parts you linked to... but I 'think' that they are more anti-squeal shims that go behind the pads rather than pressing the pads back against the caliper.
Chris

You are right, the plastic cap isn't tight, I couldn't see anyway of making it a tighter fit. Doesn't the wheel being bolted on hold it tight?

Do they?

Its had new brake system, new braided hoses & master cylinder. But something seems missing. Any pictures of peoples front brakes?
Not sure if this is of any help, it's an old core caliper but it's got everything on it except the disc:
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Hmmmm, Looks like the anti-squeal shims but no retaining, spring kit thingys.
Tis very annoying, mine definitely needs something. Would another vehicle/make fit? Any ideas? :?
Cheers for pic though.
Maybe Chris, I see it has the springs in it. Is that what we've got, Cortina front brakes?
I'll just check mine as there is the off chance of mine having been up-graded to those bigger caliper/pads you can get. Or would this kit still fit?
Yep, basic simple calipers unless yours have been changed. Not many options for upgraded ones, Princess 4 pot ones fitted but (I think) needed a spacer and are very difficult to come by. Then there are the Hi-spec ones. Just post a picture up if it's easier. 8)
Chris
First week & star of the show (in my eyes anyway!)

[Image: 2015-04-04%2012.39.02_zpsbieckus0.jpg]
Standard refurb'd brakes, Cortina kit ordered. Cheers
Okay, bits haven't turned up, but I've been thinking about these & woke up this morning (things become clearer then) and thought...... Vacuum assisted brakes!
They don't feel like they are that assisted when in use, they drag slightly when not in use and on top of that we have the kangarooing/bouncing revs on tick-over.
Are we talking leaking vacuum pipes?
Where do I find, check and replace them?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12