The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Vin #20032
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have joined the somewhat exclusive club of being a DeLorean owner,although only in name at the moment!
I found the car on Craigslist in Fremont California.
The car is a manual,grey interior with 25000 miles on the clock,a good "driver car" body described as superior.AC required regas,dash binnacle starting to crack,door seals worn,cargo net missing and a couple of other minor cosmetic interior issues.The seller was an all American called Chuck who was selling on behalf of a lady who inherited the car from her late husband.
From the very first call I made to him he was honest about the car and sent specific pictures I asked for.Once we agreed a deal could be done and Chris Parnham kindly checked the pictures to confirm the car was what it should be I instructed Automobile inspections to carry out and independent inspection on the car.
This was a 6 page report with 120 photos,they listed the defects/concerns Chuck had already highlighted with great detail.
Chris W gave some advice too on the action required to repair the dash binnacle and door seals and other bits as well a going through the import and MOT requirements.
So the deal was done,shipper selected and money exchanged.At this point Chuck had my money and the car,until Thursday when he emailed some pics to say the cars had been collected by the shipping company and was heading to L.A.
So now I'm waiting to find out when it gets on the boat and when it's due to arrive.
I'm now feeling mainly excited and nervously worried that the car is as good as the pics and report look.
Pics so far
All aboard!
That's great news, this will be the longest wait of your life!
Chris
Congratulation on your purchase Smile
Congrats on the purchase, I'd say you're in an extra exclusive club by owning a 20### VIN 'cos that's the last batch of 150 cars that were made. Arguably the best put together as the workers took their time on these cars as they didn't want it to end.
Sounds like a nice car and with a detailed report you should know exactly what to expect. Some imports are a complete gamble...
Enjoy and welcome to the club Mr Green
agreed, thats a very late vin and a nice looking car too.

Congrats on your purchase Smile
The car is due to leave L.A. On the MSC Lisa on 28/7 and due to arrive in Felixstowe on 3/9.It's such a painful wait.
lets hope they don't strap it down by the exhaust system like they did on young Andrew W's car a few years ago!

i'm sure it will be ok…just worth a check before you sign the papers at the port.

I had 20049 a few years ago, best car I've ever owned and it had only 110 miles on the clock when I bought it….never should have sold it…still in the club though.
No shipping horror stories please! I feel bad enough thanks.A former work colleague shipped his pride and joy early '70's Capri to Australia and they picked it up with a fork lift. Ouch!
So,I got a email on 29/8 to say the car will be arriving the next day,I had been following the Msc Lisa which was still in the Mediterranean whereas the car had been transhipped to the Msc Sabrina about to dock in Felistowe.
So bill of sale emailed to the shipping agent,shipping fee paid and customs fee paid.
Now the wait for a date to collect the car,at first I was told 5/9 so booked the day off and arranged to borrow a trailer and on the Wednesday was told the shipping company is running behind on Devanning(a new word I've learnt which means emptying a container)
So holiday and trailer rescheduled for today and off we go to Felixstowe. The delay meant I was able to get the insurance cover underway shed organised and the garage floor painted and carpet ordered ready for the new arrival.
Quote:Devanning(a new word I've learnt which means emptying a container)
Thought that was falling out of your camper van in the morning still drunk! :lol:
God luck with the pick up!
Chris
hi

I picked mine from Felixstowe too...what an adventure!!.

anyway I assume you know which way to load your car?. Also. your trailer has a winch in case it does not start?. Tape down the louvres. They are pretty wide so you need quite a wide trailer.

also they drain cars of fuel so there should be little in. I always take with me a jump starter (although my D was a non-runner!)

I borrowed Chris P's (thanx!), was the first time I had ever towed!. Luckily had a Shogun, and a mate to help!.

its exciting...but must admit I was glad when back and finally got her into my garage! (had to bolt a winch to floor of garage and 1/2 turns on the winch crank handle!)

good luck

steve
Take care to allow plenty of time when picking your car up from the port. When I tagged along with Dean when he picked up his barn find D' from Southampton docks we had some right Jobsworths!

Car was a non-runner and was clearly marked (clutch was thought to have failed) However they still tried to start it. Even when I specifically told them not to try and pump 10 year old gas through the fuel injection system :roll: . Luckily the fuel pump was U/S. However after over an hour of these guys messing with the car they finally allowed us in to the Bonded area to help. We pushed it out and winched it on the trailer.

Nick H
Thanks for the replies and advice.We (my brother and I)picked up the car last week,it was supposed to be devanned Friday but was delayed and scheduled for Monday 8/9/14.As I had already booked a day off and arranged a trailer so we set off from Dover just after 9.The online schedule confirmed it had been unloaded,so off we went feeling slightly more relaxed about the trip ahead.
On arrival at Imorex shipping yard we met another couple of chaps loading a Willys Jeep and a yard full of classics.After a couple of phone calls made in the office I was told to wait in the yard,after wandering in to the warehouse I laid eyes on the dusty stainless beuty that was now mine.
The warehouse guy tried to reverse it out and as everyone was watching decided to hand over the controls to me.
It started and ran fine,1/4 tank of fuel the tyres a fair bit soft,and in need of a good wash.
While my brother tucked into his packed lunch and chatted with the numerous lorry drivers,customs and border force officials who had taken an interest in my new purchase,Idrove it on to the back of the trailer and strapped her down.
As we headed out of Felixstowe and on to the A12 and hit 60plus the trailer started to sway,it was then I realised I should probably have reversed on!as we stuck to a steady 55 we had no problems and she towed fine.
It was then I started to get the idea of what lies ahead owning a DeLorean.Lots of people taking photos driving along and slowing down in front so you have to overtake just to take another look.
Pages: 1 2