The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Making our forum private unless registered and signed in....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I use a few forums, and it seems like most are inaccessible unless you are registered and signed in.

I think this is important because sometimes I see lots of guests online as opposed to registered users...

So who is looking at our information? Friends, Foes? Basically any Tom Dick or Harry!

In my opinion everyone registered should sign in to view, post, and participate.

The forum is a bonus of being a member of the club and it can still remain free to anyone.

But let's protect our privacy, and new users should be required to state their interest in the car/community before being accepted.

Anyone else agree?
We did make a lot of it for DOC members only, but that was then used against us by Eurotec brigade, who had just copied the entire forum and re-posted it as there's anyway (as with most things they have done) :roll: So we just kept the DOC members only section for DOC members only and allowed anyone to view any thing else. I still think this is the right thing to do as probably most of the information is freely available on most forums anyway. But always open to new thoughts and ideas Big Grin
Chris
Agreed Chris, this has been a subject of discussion a few times over the years, like you say most
DeLorean tech info is out there already, so it was pretty pointless making the forum more secret.

I'll freely admit to scanning forums for info before buying a car to check out any pitfalls etc, so am
probably just as guilty of doing what alot of 'guests' are doing when viewing our forum.

Just my 2pth of course Smile
Quote:I'll freely admit to scanning forums for info before buying a car to check out any pitfalls etc, so am
probably just as guilty of doing what alot of 'guests' are doing when viewing our forum.
Indeed as I think we all do for whatever, DeLoreans or washing machines! tricky one I suppose as Ben suggested we could make it people have to sign in so it shows registered users (like Eurotec) but not sure what that gains, registered or not the info will be copied regardless. But not being a tech person I'm sure I can be educated into the advantages. Big Grin
Chris
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:But let's protect our privacy, and new users should be required to state their interest in the car/community before being accepted.

I haven't seen any material on here that would merit attempts to keep it secret, and it is much more welcoming for newcomers to be open and transparent.
Starglider Wrote:
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:But let's protect our privacy, and new users should be required to state their interest in the car/community before being accepted.

I haven't seen any material on here that would merit attempts to keep it secret, and it is much more welcoming for newcomers to be open and transparent.

well said Smile
No more Oil suppliers though?!!
And sometimes 2 or 3 registered users and 18 guests... Does it not annoy you who these guests are? What's so wrong with signing in if you have a right to be here?

Maybe I'm just making an issue out of nothing, but if somebody gets banned, without mentioning any names, then apart from being able to post, every other perk remains which defeats the object. And this minority could sabotage or encourage other events on or around our dates making other events seem more attractive.

This is one section of the forum which remains private unless you are signed in....

But I will be honest and on the level. I have many friends and associates on the other forum, of which I am a member. I can't remember the last time I went on there and my loyalties lie here.

My friends of old who don't come here, or at least haven't logged on to this forum for years, I have had little contact with since the creation of the other forum... But they don't have to sign in to come here do they? I think you get my point. They are quite welcome in my opinion, so why not sign in and show yourself?

Maybe it's the way forward to bring both communities back together, which should have never divided to begin with. Both forums must have equal value, and if reunited could be a more comprehensive wealth of information instead of visiting 2 places...

It has gone this long as it is... But it is a case of anyone can come here, yet we have to sign in to go there.

Not wishing to create a big debate or cause conflict here either, as I would not post this on another forum. Life is too short and our cars are too precious to fall out with anybody...

As Chris P pointed out too, we do have spammers and people who register and never post.

Ben
Quote:every other perk remains which defeats the object. And this minority could sabotage or encourage other events on or around our dates making other events seem more attractive.
True, but in reality there wont be any major event not in the UK (until Eurofest) and I dont think there that daft anymore, why would any of us try to compete (we certinally would not wish to) as it does not help any DeLorean Owner/enthusiast. Most from that forum have gone/gone quiet or re-joined the DOC (but not publicly) to get the magazines/benefits again.
Quote:This is one section of the forum which remains private unless you are signed in....
That section is only for DOC members anyway, so only DOC members can view it.
Quote:But I will be honest and on the level. I have many friends and associates on the other forum
As have I Ben, I tried to offer an olive branch by x posting about the CH4 filming but somone just kept blocking my username/my IP/changing passwords Etc so I gave up! In reality I think it's only parts x refs and tech help that you neeed to be signed in to see/ask for help.
Quote:Maybe it's the way forward to bring both communities back together, which should have never divided to begin with. Both forums must have equal value, and if reunited could be a more comprehensive wealth of information instead of visiting 2 places...
Cant argue with that, however there are some DOC members (who are not vocal on hear), holding real grudges against some of them (not that there are many left now!) to the point that they would probably inflict injury! I think the individuals know this so have to keep it going or be left out in the cold so to speak. At least while they still have a D.
I'm more than happy to go the route you suggest perhaps as you suggest, but it only takes one registered user to copy it anyway. Remember they copied the complete forum and re-posted it as there own, every scrap of information, so I still dont see what it would gain other than having less guests.
Chris
its a real 'rock and hard place' scenario, I can see Ben's point of view, but I can also see Chris W's.

Speaking as someone who was on the receiving end of some pretty nasty goings on by certain members
of the other forum, I'm not sure that the 'twain shall ever meet' again.

Its sad that things happened the way they did 5yrs ago, but I believe that the DOC-UK is stronger then
ever and more united now then its ever been. Personally, I cant see the founding fathers of Eurotec
rejoining the DOC-UK any time soon, and I'm not entirely sure I'd want them back after what happened.

I agree, its daft such a small community having 2 forums to visit, but unfortunately thats the way it is Sad
Good points guys, but also it can look quite sad from an onlookers or a potential members point of view...

I was talking to someone at a show some years back, and they vas telling me how the VW campervan scene are divided between the air cooled and the water cooled variants. Yes, same campers just different cooling systems. Yet owners of one variant were not welcome at the other variants' shows and were the butt of jokes and public slander of the opposite variant etc.

This is somewhat weird in my opinion.

It's like us having different clubs for transmission types, interior colours or even hood styles!

Now I would imagine the Vw campervan community makes our community very small, so to a certain degree they can get away with it. But with so few DeLorean owners and variants, it would be pointless for that reason.

I am aware the reasons for the situation are personal and I have tried to reach to certain people myself over ther years, without of course upsetting the whole Apple cart.

Maybe though, as to not rake up the past, we should see how things pan out over the natural course of time.
I'm sure one day it will turn full circle and DeLorean Ownership will build bridges that were broken in haste.

In the meantime, let's enjoy our cars and get as many people as we can on board.

I have recently introduced a young lad and his family into DeLorean Ownership, with a forwarded email from Chris. They came over 2 weeks ago and viewed the car/took pictures etc and I'm 95% sure they will be potential owners in the future. I am intending doing a magazine article regarding this, so I won't give too much away!

MrP
Quote:Personally, I cant see the founding fathers of Eurotec
rejoining the DOC-UK any time soon
You would be surprised how many have :wink: :wink: with the a couple of exceptions!
Quote:I have recently introduced a young lad and his family into DeLorean Ownership, with a forwarded email from Chris. They came over 2 weeks ago and viewed the car/took pictures etc and I'm 95% sure they will be potential owners in the future. I am intending doing a magazine article regarding this, so I won't give too much away!
Thanks for doing that Ben.
Quote:I am aware the reasons for the situation are personal
To a degree yes A couple of them did not like ChrisP/Mary/Dave and wanted the club to be internet only, however as when I took over as secretary the fact was less than 40% of paying membership used the forum, plus of course the main driving factor was a hotelier who did not want to lose trade
Quote:But with so few DeLorean owners and variants, it would be pointless for that reason
But as Claire wrote, it's sorting it's self out. Anyone with the skills to do it can set up an online forum and call yourself a club (heck the organisers of the NEC classic show have a huge problem with this) reality is your not a club, not recognised by HMRC/DVLA/Insurance company's and the list goes on. So whilst there may be 2 DeLorean 'clubs' 10 Capri Clubs, the main ones keep going because when you need something they are there to help you out with importing a car/insurance problems whatever it may be that you need.
Chris
At one time when I was secretary, I suggested the DOC should become internet only. Mainly because of the issues of getting subs in, (mainly to pay for the printing of the mag) But with hindsight, its would not really have been a club anymore, but JUST another one of the many Delorean forums.

I love looking through my old club mags, and waiting for the next one to pop through the letterbox. There is something about having printed matter to hold in your hands.

I hope most of you are going to feel the same way about a certain book, which will be available in a few months!

I think we have got it about right now. I hate to see "slagging off" by anyone of anyone else. I even stopped looking at forum a while ago, follow a session of that.

I often speak to car owners, who may not now be DOC members. In fact one is writing a section for our book now. Live and let live has always been my motto.

Another one is :- " if you can't do someone a good turn….. don't do them a bad one" ………sermon over (well it is Sunday)

BTW I took my car out yesterday for the first time in months…..had a lovely blast up and down the A38…culminating in quick fuel stop with the usual nice comments, one was from a young asian lad driving a souped up flying machine, who gave me the thumbs up as I was driving off….I bet he wouldn't do that to many other cars!
the oldest boy racer in Derby eh Chrispy Wink

I am pleasantly surprised that people from 'the other side' are coming back to the DOC, be nice
to see them do it more publicly though - hope they dont feel embarrassed about it (if thats the
right word), and feel they cant publicly come on here and say "hi" again -we dont bite, and never
have done Smile

BTW Chrispy, I took 'Flopsy' out for a blat the other weekend, managed to wheelspin it out of a petrol
station!!! Completely unintentional, but I just saw a gap in the traffic and floored it Wink
I wasn't around at the time, but I have always wondered what the deal is with the split between the communities.
Pages: 1 2