The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Trying to find the correct trimming material
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there. I am looking at purchasing new seat covers for the car, however all of the trim panels need a new covering, however without another to reference the colour to I am a bit stuck.
Is there a certain supplier or material type that has been used by others on here, any recommendations are welcome, but personal experiences are best!
Also some of the headlining panels are missing in my car, anyone making them new?
Many thanks people of the forum!
I believe Chris N (PJGrady) has reproduced the headliner backboards in fibreglass. The NOS ones were available from Houston/Ed last time I looked.
Unless utterly destroyed (or in your case, missing entirely) they can usually be salvaged. The headliner material is available from a variety of sources, there's nothing special about it.
DaveH (contact details in the mag) can supply NOS seat covers along with headlining material. It may be worth asking him if he has any backing boards as well.
Chris
Thanks for the info.
I still have the fibreboard parts of the headliner that attach to the doors, but the rest are missing. The main thing I'm looking for is the material thats used on the knee pads (if that is what they would be called) below the dash, and re-covering the binnacle and transmission tunnel.
I've got all of the main bits, but the material covering them is not salvageable. I was just hoping there may be a type normally used. I don't want to turn up at my first show and find my interior mis-matches everyone else's!
Quote:The main thing I'm looking for is the material thats used on the knee pads (if that is what they would be called) below the dash, and re-covering the binnacle and transmission tunnel.
Ahh, I think you may struggle with those bits, again I would suggest a long call to Dave Howarth, he *may* be able to help with some bits if nothing else perhaps provide a sample of one so you can shop around for some. Perhaps a call to ChrisN @PJ Grady as well may be in order he often has bits of trim left over from projects and may be able to get some of the parts your missing.
Chris
Yep, I'm pretty sure the 'wrinkled' leather was specific to the Delorean and now NLA, but I'm sure you could get some standard-finish leather made up to the same colour.
Sounds like an ideal opportunity to do a custom interior..... I have a few interior parts without coverings stored away for an interior project one day, maybe tan or dark grey, not sure yet. Mr Green

If originality is important I would source the parts from a DMC vendor, or to match other grey interiors there is a vinyl paint/dye you could use, which will also give a uniform colour throughout the interior.
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Yep, I'm pretty sure the 'wrinkled' leather was specific to the Delorean and now NLA, but I'm sure you could get some standard-finish leather made up to the same colour.

Chris N makes OEM style seat covers with the wrinkled leather effect, they're a very close match and I'd recommend them if you want an OEM look. For my car I ordered some light gray covers from John Hervey, which are close but not quite equivalent to stock, then had them modified with a muted two-tone 3D effect and 'Legend Industries' logos on the headrests (still at the trimmers so no photos yet).

For the headliners I went with a darker grey velvety material as I thought the original looked a little cheap. I saw another car in the P J Grady workshop with the subtle 'DMC' logo effect headliner (formed by gluing the headliner to letter shapes in the cavity); it does look good, much less in your face than what I did with them.