The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Accidents
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

While I was driving in Paris in my Ford Mondeo last week another driver jumped a set of lights and slammed into the side of my car. Fortunately the occupants of my car who were my wife, young son and I were unharmed. The Mondeo however is in a pretty bad way and will need new doors and panels but of course I am deeply grateful that we all walked away from the crash without a scratch (God bless the designers of the Mondeo safety features). As the Mondeo is a company car and the other driver was clearly in the wrong the insurance will sort out all the repairs however this has got me thinking about what would would have happened if I'd been driving my Delorean (which, incidentally I have whimsically called "Sunny"). Please forgive my ignorance but can you even get new panels and doors nowadays? And realistically how long would it take to fix such damage?

Richard
I would suppose it depends on the extent of the damage to the car. We are very fortunate to have Chris N down at P.J Grady's in Canvey Island who can work wonders with the bodywork. Most panels are available off the shelf from Ed at DMCEU or via Houston @ DMCH so that's not an issue. Though from my experience of dealing with insurance company's and repairs the cost's of repairs can soon out way the value of the car. One of the reasons you should have agreed value insurance.
Glad your all OK from your accident.
Chris
glad you're all ok, we've just got back from 9 days in the Loire in my Grand Scenic, thankfully
with no accidents to report.

My DeLorean was hit outside my workplace a few years ago, with damage to the wing and front
spoiler/fascia.

Chris N was brilliant, and sorted everything with my insurance company and did an amazing job.
Thanks Chris and Claire, that's really helpful.

I also take your point about insuring at proper value Chris. I insured Sunny for £18,000 as I don't think it's worth as much as some of the other cars that are discussed on the forum. I've noticed some people have obtained certificates of value for insurance purposes. Where do you tend to get them from please?