The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: cooling fan problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Morning,

does anyone know of an upgrade kit to make both cooling fans work, not even sure mine is wired up correctly, as some idiot bodged it up for me!! but that's another story!!
Im sure I have heard of a kit, the fans both work ok, its a wiring problem, I would be greatfull of some help please.
Hi Stu.

What exactly is happening at the moment?

You say both fans work but have you checked the otterstat switch by bridging the connectors?

My car has a kit called a "FanZilla" installed which does away with the main fan relay and independently turns on the fans one at a time to reduce load on the electrical system. It shuts them off one at a time too but still uses the original otterstat as a switch if the coolant is too hot.

Not sure where you can get these though.

If you are getting running fans when you bridge your otterstat switch then replace your otterstat with a fan switch from an early 1980's Austin Metro. It's the same.

If not, check your fuses, relays and most importantly your earth/ground connections.

Good luck with your search. Ps this thread will probably be moved to the electrical section of the help topics on the forum!

Ben
The fan wiring is or should be very simple. If you fancy a drive down to Chippenham, I'll take a look. I have all necessary parts, even replacement blue relay bases!
Thanks for the replies, the wiring is a bit of a mess if im truthful, im going to google the fanzilla, that's what I have heard off before.
Thanks martin, I might just pop down over the summer if I cant sort it.
DMCMW sell these Fanzilla devices (speak to Julee). Not sure if they are still available, but I sent my back as my wiring was overhauled by Toby at DMCNW (Dave tested my electrical circuit when he was in Melb, not requiring this device).

I also heard these also help with any electrical spikes that could occur when the fans come on.
There appears to be some misinformation on these fan controllers. The "function" is to delay the fans coming on immediately because they're wired in parallel with the compressor which switches in and out repeatedly. There's a very easy wiring mod to set them to come on permanenetly with AC like any modern car. This removes the startup load and the repeated "thumps" the electrical system receives.

Fanzillas are less than perfect and haven't been available for years. There's a better alternative now but in my opinion they're fixing a problem which never really existed.
Quote:but in my opinion they're fixing a problem which never really existed.

^ What he said. Fanzillas are a bit of a sledgehammer to crack a walnut really

If your connectors are good, clean and tight - that includes relays and fuses (replace 'em if necessary) then you will have no problems at all.
Not sure how a 'Fanzilla' worked but I had a similar unit from Baker Electronics in the US (IIRC) in my old car. This simply drew the power direct from the battery and switched on one fan at a time. But it still relied on the signal from the otterstat so the fanzilla may be the same and need a properly working fan system to start with. Mind on a slightly on/off topic I have had 2 brand new otterstats fail within 4 months so have decided they are a piece of *rap as well :roll:
Chris
Chris Williams Wrote:Mind on a slightly on/off topic I have had 2 brand new otterstats fail within 4 months so have decided they are a piece of *rap as well :roll:
Chris

I had a similar issue with otterstats - ended up fitting an adjustable jobby off ebay and ignoring the otterstat, so far so good.
Ahh yes I do remember seeing it over on Delorean.ie (the link for anyone who want's it) http://www.delorean.ie/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2204
To be fair I have now wired in a bypass switch as a 'just in case' I think either option I would be watching it very carefully anyway!
Chris
I had a better look today, there seems to be two fuses where it looks like a relay should be, Does that make sense?
and when the fans cut in, one fuse blows straight away!! and only one fan works,
I know the other fan works cus ive put a battery on it, and its fine!
I havnt got the AC rigged up, so they only come on when she gets warm!
If it's the very bottom left relay then yes, that's a corrrect modification! if you look at this page: http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-pa ... tions.html
There are some pictures with a relay modification that's like the Baker & Possibly Fanzilla, then nearer the bottom a simple 3 pin wiring modification, that was a factory modification anyway.
Chris
The two fuses are to bypass the 'fan fail module' which was badly constructed and was 'temporarily' replaced:

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-06-9.82.html

It doesn't really need the fuses, but that's how some of them were done in the 'states

If one of them is blowing, but not the other, that suggests there is either a fault with the motor, or a fault with the wiring to it. If you unplug the offending motor (there should be a two pin connector close to it) you can see if the fuse still blows with it disconnected.

The motor could be seized, or it could be damaged internally....
Chris sent that while I was typing!... So yeh, what he said :lol:
Thank you chris, I might try the simple modification. il get my friend to look at it, hes got more know how with electrics!
Pages: 1 2