The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: From Worksop to Edenbridge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All

I am the lucky chap who bought Paul Birks' car which is now in its new home in Edenbridge, Kent. I reckon I had my picture taken about 12 times as I drove down the motorway and the police took great interest in it when I went to the supermarket over the weekend. We chatted for about 15 minutes and they took some pics to show to their friends at the station.

My own background is that my father, Anthony Mayo, used to work for Delorean (he worked for Nick Sutton and is mentioned in the acknowledgements section on p251 in Nick's book) and occasionally brought the cars home at the weekend. I was only about 5 at the time but remember vividly sitting/lying on the parcel shelf while my parents sat in front. Clearly the police in early 1980s Northern Ireland took a more relaxed view of such matters than today's Constabulary. And there's no way my 4 year old boy will be going on the parcel shelf of this car.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed owning the car so far and am keen to come to some of the meets and meet some of my fellow Delorean owners.

Incidentally, I also considered buying the red interior car that is for sale in Peterhead, Northern Scotland. A friend of mine went to see it and says it is serviceable but needs a ton of work. However on speaking to my father and to Nick, neither of them remember a red interior car made at Dunmurry despite what the owner claims.

Richard
Hi
And welcome to the club! funny I lived near Edenbridge during the 80's (Chiddingstone Hoath) so know the area well. that's interesting about your father and that Nick mentioned him, that's a really good family connection. Whilst no expert on red trimmed cars, I thought the 'Kuwait' cars were trimmed in red?
I will send you a 'PM' as well, There is an owner over in Wadhurst who's not to far from you as well. he does not use the t'internet much though.

Chris
welcome to the Forum Richard, and congrats on buying such a special car.

You'll get used to having camera phones pointing at you every time you take
the car out Wink