The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Nice DeLorean on Ebay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Very nice, it will be interesting to see how much this goes for?
...just a bit of a confused owner if they think its a manual when clearly the pictures are of an automatic.

Still missing the all important chassis pictures, steve's ex car or not.
I will be very interested to see how much this sells for....I only hope that all potential buyers have also spotted it is an auto Sad
Quote:I only hope that all potential buyers have also spotted it is an auto Sad
Why has everyone gone off Auto's all of a sudden? some people find it easier driving a left hand drive car that's an auto.
Chris
To be honest, I don't think I would have an issue with an auto when the time comes. It would be much more important to me that the the condition, reliability and the price is right....but I guess I manual would be preferred overall.
Autos are heavier, slower, less economical and less reliable Tongue
i used to hate autos, untill i got my s10,

for chilled out cruising, a LHD auto is fantastic. right hand on the wheel, and left hand.... where ever you want it, lol the truck is 4300cc v6 though, so has plenty of power, i recon its a perfect engine for a delorean, as you can buy chevy adaptor plates for the UN1, and very very reliable.

but for blasting about, you cant beat manual, alltho on LHD cars i do find myself trying to change gear with the door handle, lol.

if anyone wants me to have a look at the car, i'm not far from it. yup yup
For me driving anything low slung and righ-hand drive feels positively wrong. I believe a lot of racing drivers feel they prefer left hook too. I think it's a right-hand thing.
stunned_monkey Wrote:Autos are heavier, slower, less economical and less reliable Tongue

I'd find it hard to part with my auto, i would however like a manual as well.

Personally I don't think there's much in it speed wise, both manual and auto are slow, but I think the three speed auto is quite aggressive for a dated auto, much less jumping back and forth between ratios like modern automatics.

As for reliability other than the computer governor getting fried they're no less reliable than a manual, I know more manual trans owners who've had linkage issues, clutch lines etc... All of which can of course be sorted, but still issues if you're comparing apples with apples.

I believe that the maintenance cost of a manual vs. auto are pretty similar over the lifetime of the car, just that manuals have more regular smaller bill maintenance items such as clutches, slave cylinders etc... Where as the auto tends to throw up a big bill once a decade.

I'd have both if I could but wouldn't swap mine for a manual.

James
Excellent summary there James, I agree 100%, mine has a new governor somputer with the inbuilt protection diodes and was professionally rebuilt. A one-off £900 bill but no bother at all since (sveral years). That was the gamble buying an auto and the purchase price was a bit less to reflect the potential future expense.

Ideally, to be as different as possible, my next Delorean will be a RHD black-interior manual with a gas-flap and grey wheels, if such a car exists! - (but I'm still keeping mine too!)
Once you separate "unreliable" parts that are problematic due to age rather than design, the list for a 5 speed gets very small. It's also a widely known transmission which remains popular all over europe so parts are readily available and will take in excess of 300hp.
True, I suppose auto parts are a little more scarce hence a bit more of a gamble, but I think the marginally lower sales values (if that's still the case) take that into account. It didn't some up as an issue whn I had my rebuilt (2007/8).

I know on the Belfast trips etc mine appeared a little thirstier than some others but perhaps sub-10% extra compared with a manual...
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Ideally, to be as different as possible, my next Delorean will be a RHD black-interior manual with a gas-flap and grey wheels, if such a car exists!

That'll be VIN #510 then Rich which, conveniently, is for sale at the time of writing...
Cheers Phil; you arrange the bank transfer and I'll sort the rest! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2