The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Import Support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

How is best in the group to have a chat with about the import process and how to make it go as smoothly as possible. Think I may have found the right car, Just want to be sure im ticking all the right boxes.

Thanks again to all those who have been more than helpful so far.

Rich
I've done a blog of my recent experience of importing VIN# 10719. I wouldn't say I'm an "expert" but feel free bug me with some questions. The process isn't as daunting as it first seems and I'd certainly do it again.

My blog is www.delorean-dream.blogspot.com
Thats great! I must admit to have been looking at that already. Given me some confidence. Did you buy your Car blind as it where or did you go and see it in person?

Thanks,
Rich
Most of this is still valid as well
http://www.deloreans.co.uk/importing/index.html
My advice, ask questions lots and lots of them, ask for pictures of everything including some odd areas, that way you know if the car is actually there for them to take a picture off!
Perhaps one of the inside of glovebox/fuse box anywhere that would not normally have pictures taken of!
Chris
Hi Rich

Flux3d's blog is a great source of information on this subject. Having just imported Vin 4468 myself then I can verify the actual importing process is a doddle really. I would thouroughly recommend Trans Global (contact Will Pocock) they were extremely professional and handled everything with the minimum of fuss. And make sure you get that BTI application form filled in ASAP (quoting classification code 9705000090.) Again this appeared to be a daunitng form to fill in, but wasn't really (5% import duty should be no issue at all). If you require a reference number for this form, then I have one I can give to you.
As for the DeLorean itself then that is the difficult bit I think. Do as Chris suggests, request loads of pics of everything (something I did not do enough of). Ask loads of questions about everything (chassis condition, electricals working, transmission operation, interior condition, oil leaks etc..etc...)
You could set up a Skype account to see the vehicle live on your PC (if the seller agrees). Really you need the full cooperation of the seller, so a very helpful chap is a necessity I reckon. I'd walk away from a D if the seller appears less than cooperative and responsive to your questions.
For me I bought a bit of a project D (turns out somewhat more of a project than I had banked on - LOL :? ). If you are spending a lot, then I would consider flying over to view the vehicle in person.

Cheers
Steve
with the quote from someone like tans global, what additional charges are involved when/before you actually go to collect the car from the port?. (not including VAT).

also, whats the deal with marine insurance, what does it actually cover?, is it worth it?

thanks

Simon
Hi

The quote you would typically get will include Port to Port shipment, collection costs and any/all documentaion costs. The only additional charge is the import duty (which with the BTI form completed should be 5% only)- which needs to be payed on collection.

Marine Insurance is a tricky one. I don't believe I did have this, as it wasn't listed seperatly on my invoice I see (and ultimately i didn't need it). But then flux3d did, he experienced some costly damage to the front of his car (I believe) on the way over. Therefore marine insurance was well worth having for him.
As my car was fairly cheap, and in a bit of a rough condition, then I'm not convinced how necessary it would have been for me to have it. However, if I had bought a more expensive DeLorean in the first place, then I would definitely have got it.

Steve
Some really useful information. Thanks very much.

So the BFI form needs completing as soon as you begin the shipping process? In order to have it filled for when the car arrives at the UK port? and this should entitle you to 5% VAT as opposed to the higher rate?

Where is the VAT payable to? On collection?

Thanks again.
Rich
If for example you were to have Trans Global ship the car over for you, then you would pay Trans Global the VAT plus their fee for clearing the car through customs. Then you just turn up with some ID and a trailer, or arrange for a transporter to pick it up for you. I used Chris Huxtables, but then my car went straight down to Chris N at P J Grady's in sunny Essex.
If for example you were to have Trans Global ship the car over for you, then you would pay Trans Global the VAT plus their fee for clearing the car through customs. Then you just turn up with some ID and a trailer, or arrange for a transporter to pick it up for you. I used Chris Huxtables, but then my car went straight down to Chris N at P J Grady's in sunny Essex.
The marine insurance proved very useful for me in the end. The front spoiler and radiator cover were damaged in the crossing. I had Chris N at PJ Grady fix them all, which gave me the opportunity to have loads of other srudf done by him at the same. Without the insurance it would have been a very expensive experience.

With regards the BTI form after looking into it myself and getting very irritated by customs I ended up getting the shipper to do all mine.