The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Harry Brearley - 100 Years of Stainless Steel!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello all,

Recieved a slightly unusual phone call at the railway on Tuesday from a Tim Collins from Outokumpu Stainless Ltd, based in Sheffield. He was interested in hiring a steam locomotive to shunt round thir yard for a few days in June.

I happened to mentioned that I was a member of the club, and that if I put of post on the forum, perhaps some members might be interested in attending on one of the days.

According to Tim, some of the stainless steel produced at the very plant they're in, was sent over to the Belfast plant. He also added that "John DeLorean still owes us money." Smile

His full e-mail is below:

Dear Paul,

Further to our conversations today, please find below some info about the stainless steel centenary events.

Outokumpu Stainless Ltd is arranging 3 days of celebrations in Sheffield in honour of Harry Brearley who invented stainless steel in Sheffield in 1913. Please see the link to get a fuller context of planned events.

http://www.bssa.org.uk/events.php?id=1732

Thursday 13th June will be a customers and suppliers day with plant tours and formal lunch. The follow 2 days will be friends and family days which will still be filled with the plant tours but have a more informal approach. The Sheffield plant comprises (on our main manufacturing site) a stainless steel melting shop, a stainless manufacturing business for bar products and a stainless finishing and distribution business for flat and tubular products.

We would be delighted to welcome any members of the Delorean Owners Club that would be interested in giving up a day to proudly display one of the iconic DMC vehicles that has certainly been manufactured using stainless steel produced from our Sheffield site. We would be happy to offer any willing DMC owners some level of reimbursement to cover petrol and incidental expenses on the day, in return for being part of our centenary celebrations.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to call.

Thank you for your sincere interest.

Best regards.

Tim

With this in mind, perhaps somebody might be interested in attending on Saturday 15th? What do you think?

Paul
hiya Paul,

well I'm sure you can stick me and Phill down for this and maybe Luke can travel a couple
of junctions down the M1 with his car too.

If RichH is free I'm sure he'd be up for it - although I would expect that we could all only
do the Saturday due to work/school commitments.

BTW, I think in the 'DMC days', the company was called Avesta, as Phill has just passed me
a BT Phonecard with a DeLorean on it with 'Avesta' on the numberplate.

We wouldnt want anything for appearing at the event, but a good supply of tea and comestibles
would be welcome Smile
Thanks Claire, much appreciated!

I did mention to Tim that the Saturday might be the best day for everybody. I'll e-mail him back and tell him that there's some interest anyway! Smile
I've also cross posted this to the DOC-UK's Facebook page to spread the word abit too Smile
I'm in Florida that week, otherwise you could have counted me in, it's just down the road from where I used to live.
you mean you're gonna pass up a day in Sheffied for a week in the Florida sunshine!!

What is the world coming too..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sheffield and Florida are always compared to each other. People say they're most alike.
trainmad Wrote:Sheffield and Florida are always compared to each other. People say they're most alike.

If you're blindfolded and locked in a cellar
You wouldn't believe how often that happens to me, Claire! Sad
I need to go up to Sheffield that week anyway, I should be able to make the Friday, assuming I have a running DMC-12 by then. Smile
trainmad Wrote:You wouldn't believe how often that happens to me, Claire! Sad

we dont want to know what you get up to in your private life Paul!!! :lol:

Starglider, be great to see you and chat all things DMC if you can make it, be ace to see
your car after all the work thats gone/going into it, but if you've not got it with you, no bother
and I'm sure we'll all see it soon enough - thinking ahead, with all the updgrades, your car
could be an excellent car for our Club stand at the Classic Motors Show at the NEC in
November Big Grin
Probably a good thing nobody does want to know! Shock
I've had an e-mail from Tim, with a few more details regarding the event.

Saturday 15 June; Employees families day. This day will run from around 09:00 to 18:00 and we expect to have around 350 visitors to the site on the day. The format will be the same as for the local schools day.

We have identified an area adjacent to our Brearley Centre where anyone wishing to bring a Delorean car can park their vehicle safely. I just need to know details of who is interesting in coming to our site for any of the above days. (ie; name, contact number, accompanying guest name, vehicle registration, expected arrival time). We can feed any Delorean owners (and guests) who are willing to give up their day.

Could I have a list of names and the details if possible?

Thanks,

Paul
well you can stick me and Phill down for the day with VUR594W and SOR83T Smile
Hi all,

In addition to what has already been said on this subject.

The company has asked that "our own Barrie Wills", former Director of purchasing as DMCL, who was actually responsible for placing the muti-million £ order with British Steel.... to do a brief presentation about the DeLorean involvement.

Our club president, Dave Howarth has already agreed to take his RHD car, WIA, to be the star attraction on their "suppliers day" on Thursday June 13th. Andy Withers is co-ordinating our involvement on the thursday. ( and doubtless raiding their historical documents as well!)

More info as it emerges.

Good publicity for us and the car.
Pages: 1 2 3