The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Rear Tyres, and other musings...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi folks, back online after months in the wilderness!

No DeLorean action to report in the interim, either – apart from going in convoy with a friend to a VW show – he has a convertible Golf – and getting ushered into the show rather than the car-park!
After much racking of brains I was able to establish some top tenuous link to VW – I think the glove box catch is the same as a Scirocco’s. Practically brothers...
This was last March – last time my car moved Sad

Anyway, to matters in hand – rear tyres! One of mine is flat, proper flat, and cracked, so time to replace both I think.

Pirelli P600’s seem well recommended – current quote is £170 each!

They can also supply ‘General Grabber’ tyres – has anyone any experience of these? I haven’t seen a picture but they sound like they belong in a monster truck – are they as gnarly as they sound?
Or i can go for ‘budget’ ones at about £110 each.

Or even, does anyone have any GoodYear Eagle ones in stock? Long shot I know...!

Thanks all, nice to be back thinking of matters DeLorean again.
R
...there was another tyre discussion last summer Rich.

Pirelli P600's are very difficult to come by, at least on last discussions. Pirelli was contacted and apparently advised that they WERE going to make more, but not until demand increased, or an available slot in their production schedules for other sizes came to pass. (Maybe this has happened since, I don't know, but at the time, lots of people were advertising them as being available, but upon further queries, it turned out that they were out of stock and awaiting Pirelli to manufacture more.)

I think we've been hearing good things about the General Grabbers. They look the same as the Pirelli P600's except they have American'ised (or should I say American-iZed :lol: ) white lettering on the side walls (something I quite like, and have actually painted on myself to my P600's)

Rich, of course, will tell you cheap as chips is the way forward. He will also tell you that the narrower 225's seem to be just as good a fit as the original 235's as that's what he's got, and some others have followed suit since.

I think that pretty much covers everything.
White lettering sounds like fun - so long as the treads aren't liek tractor tyres I'd be tempted...!
225 65 R15 seem available in Dunlops...
I could not get any P600's anywhere for the 30 year old ones I'm replacing on my car. Got a set off Ebay but had to pay over the odd's for them :roll: BUT I do think there the best as well as good looking (as any tyre can be!) A lot of places say they can get them but it's different when you go to order them.

Chris
If you're going to go with 225's, stick with 60 profile.

General grabbers are cheap 4x4 tyres IIRC.

It's a good idea to keep an eye on fleabay. here's one for £50 c/w a free wheel!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=2 ... 1759928995
I have Goodyear Eagle GT 2 tyres on the rear of my car.
Had them about 4 years , No problems so far.

I got them from North Hants tyres

http://www.northhantstyres.com/RTS%20final/2356015.html

They have the white letters on on side or black sidewall on the other so you can choose.

They have gone up in price. I paid £99 each. Now they are £140 each.
Not tractor tyres, these are for 70's muscle cars.

Regards
Nick H
Thanks for that tip Nick, they look pretty good too and are Goodyears as per OEM.

Also, I’ll put this ‘out there’ – the local tyre place has just got back to me – they say thay can get the P600’s, direct from Pirelli – so they must have done another batch of them...

... at £220 each... Shock
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Thanks for that tip Nick, they look pretty good too and are Goodyears as per OEM.

Also, I’ll put this ‘out there’ – the local tyre place has just got back to me – they say thay can get the P600’s, direct from Pirelli – so they must have done another batch of them...

Well that's quite good news then! at £220 each though, that's almost expensive as the tyres for the M3! Shock Just as well they last for years and years and years....
Nick H Wrote:I have Goodyear Eagle GT 2 tyres on the rear of my car.
Had them about 4 years , No problems so far.

I got them from North Hants tyres

http://www.northhantstyres.com/RTS%20final/2356015.html

They have the white letters on on side or black sidewall on the other so you can choose.

They have gone up in price. I paid £99 each. Now they are £140 each.
Not tractor tyres, these are for 70's muscle cars.

Regards
Nick H

I've looked at the website for this place a few times, and just last night after reading this thread again, did a quick check there. Last time I looked there, the Goodyear ones weren't listed, so good to know they are there now. Perhaps next time I need a rear tyre(s) replacement, I might give these a bash. As well as anything else, it means I wont have to keep painting the lettering on mine every month or so :lol:
Just a thought, I have Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 on the front. These don't have the white letter's.
I got them from a local tyre place as this gave the car a near as I could get stock set of boots.

Might be worth asking Northants if they can get matching fronts.

Regards
Nick
Rissy Wrote:
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Thanks for that tip Nick, they look pretty good too and are Goodyears as per OEM.

Well that's quite good news then! at £220 each though, that's almost expensive as the tyres for the M3! Shock Just as well they last for years and years and years....

Isn't it funny how prices become "relative" to the car. £220 is a chuffing fortune for a rear DeLorean tyre because the fronts are so cheap. I recently fell off my chair when Renault put the price of the turbo clutch up to over £250.

Today however I discovered how much a new clutch is for our smart. The chair is now broken.

http://shop.wellsmart.co.uk/drivetrain-96-c.asp
stunned_monkey Wrote:Isn't it funny how prices become "relative" to the car. £220 is a chuffing fortune for a rear DeLorean tyre because the fronts are so cheap. I recently fell off my chair when Renault put the price of the turbo clutch up to over £250.

Today however I discovered how much a new clutch is for our smart. The chair is now broken.

http://shop.wellsmart.co.uk/drivetrain-96-c.asp

Shock Shock Shock Shock
I've just plumped for a new set of P600 from Black Circles. £167 each. Plus £11.50 delivery.

This seems to be about as cheap as you can get them now.

I'll try and get them fitted over Xmas while i'm up the road (removing the wheels from the car and taking them to the garage in the back of one of the other cars)

I've put up a link on my Facebook (for those who know me well), if anyone cares to click on the link and do one of the actions, then for every person who does this, I get another chance at getting my expensive tyres for FREE! Mr Green

After Xmas, i'll have a set of 2 Pirelli P600 tyres, which still have more than minimum legal tread depth left on them if anyone wants them. I'm only changing them because my garage have been insisting that they need changing for the past 3 years, and finally this year, they put the red stamp on them and made them one of my MOT FAIL entries, but I assure you, they still have at least 6mm on them! (I've no idea what depth gauge he's been using!? - I'm fed up fighting with him, and I can't be bothered appealing.)
There are 4 new Pirellis on eBay, he will take £225 for all 4 inc. carriage. Anybody fancy going halves with me?
Pages: 1 2