The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: BTTF Door Opening Sound
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been to a few car shows and a few people have commented that the doors don't have the mechanical electro sound like BTTF (of course it's movie magic!).

Has anyone installed a device that triggered a sound just like the movie? BFColumbo (might had spelt that wrong), sells a device around $200+ that plays several sound files, but I'm only looking at the door as an option.

Just thought I'll ask and no, I'm not building a BTTF replica. :lol:
Various companies do prop audio units that play mp3s from a flash card when triggered by a microswitch. Here is a typical one, I've seen cheaper ones that only have one input / sound possible. You'd have to hide some extra speakers somewhere if you wanted the effect to sound right outside the vehicle.
Whilst I'm still arranging the purchase/import of my DeLorean, I'm looking at putting together a simple interface for adding this to the doors as I've always loved the sound (though I'm not looking to do a full conversion).

As Starglider suggests, you can get a cheap board like http://proto-pic.co.uk/audio-sound-breakout-wtv020sd/ and wire it up to your own amp/speaker setup. I've done similar things for a Proton Pack prop replica I made last year, so I'll keep you posted on my investigations for something lightweight and cheap for this Smile

My only issue for now is finding a good (clean) sample of the door opening sound! Oh, and getting the actual car Big Grin
Mmm. I've wanted that for ages..... several owners, including myself, have the 'door launch' kits, push a button and one/both door will open automatically.

I've asked the vendor if they could add the opening noise to that system but they said they didn't see the demand :-(

I might not want the noise every time, but if I'm 'demonstrating' the door launch it would be a cool add-on. Personally I'd like it to remain independant of teh exsiting audio devices.

JohnC