The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Errr, what is it!
Starglider Wrote:Just purchased this new vehicle to complement the DeLorean (e.g. tow it when it breaks down Smile ). It has a film history only slightly less illustrious than the BTTF trilogy Smile - and there are even less of them in the UK than there are DeLoreans! This one is converted to LPG to tame the fuel consumption, it's a fun drive but definitely needs some dynamatting. Also the previous owner had some funny ideas about suspension height which I will adjust.

[Image: 4x4b_zpsbd78d3a1.jpg]

[Image: 4x4a_zps24e33766.jpg]

I see one of these quite regularly on my way into Derby near Breadsall College, I think its some sort of
Toyota Rav4 based thing, but never seen the model badge, just the toyota badge on it, so thought it
was some sort of 'grey import' like our Toyota Sera.
Ahh yes, I can see the Rav-4 in it now you say Toyota.
Chris Williams Wrote:Ahh yes, I can see the Rav-4 in it now you say Toyota.

Nope, not Toyota, no RAV-4 parts involved Smile This is a body-on-frame 4x4 with full locking diffs, V6 and LSD in the back, not a Corolla-based hairdresser mobile. Smile
well the one I see regularly has Toyota on the front grille :?:
There was one of these in the supposedly just a few years into the future film about mission to mars I think...

...and using that link, the Internet movie car database says its an Isuzu VX-02!

ammarite?
Rich Hanlon Wrote:There was one of these in the supposedly just a few years into the future film about mission to mars I think...

...and using that link, the Internet movie car database says its an Isuzu VX-02!

ammarite?

You mean this one?...from Mission to Mars (Good film)
Quote:Isuzu VX-02!
Give that man a prize! :wink: Interesting though, there are loads of 'odd' cars around me due to all the American air bases still in the area, and I do often see 'odd' imports but never seen one of these before. Seems they were only sold in Japan and the US.
Chris
That's it, JDM Isuzu Vehicross (the convertible was a one-off). Also seen in the Vin Diesel film 'Babylon AD'. Smile

Tempted to try and supercharge it, but the manufacturer who made the kits went out of business a few years back. Need to finish AURYN first though! I'm actually hanging around in Luton airport car park right now to pick up the engine cover and louvres from Mike (Bozzy on the Eurotec forum). Seems to be a no-show though and he's not answering his mobile.
Luton Airport? Has Mike managed to get his car to actually fly?!
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Luton Airport? Has Mike managed to get his car to actually fly?!

Maybe he did and flew direct, because he didn't turn up to the airport, so still no louvres.

Anyway completed fitting the electroluminescent logos into the headliners, they still need to be covered with the proper dark grey velvety fabric;

[Image: headliners_zpsd9693efe.jpg]

I will try and cut it closely to the outline of the letters, so that there is only a thin outline of stainless showing.
They're nice! And thin so you shouldn't lose too much headroom!

Is there a benginners guide to electroluminescent sheet antywhere? I have a few ideas I have been toying with for a while which I think EL sheet would be best with...
finally got a better look at that weird 4x4 thingy on way to Derby today, it was actually
facing outwards onto the road and made out VX on the front grille.

Great progress Starglider, be awesome to see your car 'in the metal' sometime.
Quote:They're nice! And thin so you shouldn't lose too much headroom!

I cut a rectangle out of the fibreglass so that the stainless plates mounted flush; will look better and no headroom lost.

Rich Hanlon Wrote:Is there a benginners guide to electroluminescent sheet antywhere? I have a few ideas I have been toying with for a while which I think EL sheet would be best with...

Not that I know of but it's extremely simple to use. It comes in various sizes and can be cut to shape. I like to solder on several terminals for a completely even brightness, but that isn't really necessary, you can just plug the EL and inverters together for good results. Nearly all inverters take 12v input which is convenient for car applications. The one thing to be careful of is that the base colour doesn't necessarily match the illumination colour, I had to try three suppliers until I found some panel that was completely white off and on (other two looked pink in daylight).

Quote:finally got a better look at that weird 4x4 thingy on way to Derby today, it was actually
facing outwards onto the road and made out VX on the front grille.

Previous owner did this to the front of mine;

[Image: vx-grill_zps3ef552f6.jpg]

[Image: vx-front_zps3ea8babe.jpg]

The LPG (autogas) works great though, literally half the price of diesel and nearly as good MPG as petrol. Changeover to petrol when you press the button or the propane runs out is seamless. It made me start thinking about how you would convert a DeLorean to LPG; the standard solution is a donut tank replacing the spare tyre, but with the big voids in the DMC-12 pontoons you could probably put tanks in there and do an invisible conversion. I'd be seriously considering it if I wasn't going for the Legend-replica engine look.
Quote:It made me start thinking about how you would convert a DeLorean to LPG; the standard solution is a donut tank replacing the spare tyre, but with the big voids in the DMC-12 pontoons you could probably put tanks in there and do an invisible conversion. I'd be seriously considering it if I wasn't going for the Legend-replica engine look
It has be done by .......(forgot who)........ though they never got it running very well IIRC. . Presently owned by Stu Rees IIRC who's convering/converted it back to stock. The conversion was documented over a couple of magazine issues if memory serves me right.

Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21