The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Of douse its your car and your decision about re-registering it etc.
But I would just comment that over the last 40 years I have restored over a dozen cars myself, in my spare time, ( one was a 1934 Morris 10.4 that I put a 1960 B series engine and gear box in) and most of them were chassis up jobs.......and my day job for over 30 years was high quality chrome plating for 1000's of Classic Car owners....I have never, ever, found anyone anxious to shed all the cars history by re-registering it as a "new car" . No matter how many new bits they have had. I don't think ( although I could be wrong) that DMC Houston's re-builds, have a new identity. Alarm from anything, the cars history adds greatly to the interest and to some extent to its future value..

As I say its you car, your project and your money, but I think you are going down the wrong road here.
Please excuse my typo's......must be my blood pressure!!!
Michael's point is that what he will be driving away is not and never has been a complete car which left the factory with a vin. Hence there's no "history" to re-write. All the cars I've done have been re-builds of something that had an identity, and I'm pretty certain DMCH's are too.

(We've had the same chat off-line!)
stunned_monkey Wrote:Michael's point is that what he will be driving away is not and never has been a complete car which left the factory with a vin.

Exactly, if it was registered as a 1982 car certain people would be complaining that I'm trying to pass it off as a Dunmurry-built car when it was actually built on Canvey Island. OTOH the chasis and tub /were/ made in Dunmurry and other people are likely to complain that by registering it as a 2013 car I'm trying to hide that. In reality I don't really care about these complaints, I asked the DVLA what the most appropriate and compliant thing to do was and they said 'date of assembly into a road-going vehicle'.
Started wiring in the wings-a-loft stuff. Chris had a dubious looking used Lucas blinker for the indicators, glad I had a new digital unit instead. Speaking of which don't have a door lock controller yet, will have to get a digital one from Ed. Chris made a new binnacle out of fibreglass, decided to have that and the glovebox door (which was salvaged and looking poorly) covered in leather. Dash is still vinyl though.
Starglider Wrote:
stunned_monkey Wrote:Michael's point is that what he will be driving away is not and never has been a complete car which left the factory with a vin.

Exactly, if it was registered as a 1982 car certain people would be complaining that I'm trying to pass it off as a Dunmurry-built car when it was actually built on Canvey Island. OTOH the chasis and tub /were/ made in Dunmurry and other people are likely to complain that by registering it as a 2013 car I'm trying to hide that. In reality I don't really care about these complaints, I asked the DVLA what the most appropriate and compliant thing to do was and they said 'date of assembly into a road-going vehicle'.

I guess at the end of the day, DVLA's rules are more appropriate in this case, as like you say, its never before been
assembled into a road going car.

But it does have a VIN?
It has a VIN plate from the Wooler Hodec recovered parts. The DVLA say they will accept it with a 2013 build date but that is advisory not binding, will know for sure when the car is complete and the registration form goes in.
Ah, I see Smile
Ed mounting the turbos & plumbing the bearings for oil;

[Image: turbo-installation_zps11d8c7e6.jpg]
lush mate, looks great Smile
Modifying the console to make the LED instrument lighting dimmable (have to use a separate ground);

[Image: console_zpsc12e6d29.jpg]

Roll bar and upgraded courtesy lights arrived from Martin G and have been approved by Chris N (courtesy lights look stock but are more robust). Hit a problem with the Quaife LSD, it won't install into the UN1 gearbox casing when flipped over for rear-engine operation. No obvious way to fix this, will have to complain to the vendor on Monday.
Quote:Hit a problem with the Quaife LSD, it won't install into the UN1 gearbox casing when flipped over for rear-engine operation
Out of interest can I ask why you think it needs this?
Chris
Chris Williams Wrote:Out of interest can I ask why you think it needs this?

No aftermarket upgrade is 'needed' for the car to function. Whether they are desirable is another, personal question. In this case putting 300hp into a platform with extreme rear weight bias and 911-style instability on corner exit is asking for trouble. I do intend to try the odd track day (blame Chris Hawes) and therefore I do think it's worthwhile taking all reasonable measures to stabilise the oversteer/understeer characteristics.

Unfortunately even Martin hasn't got one of these running yet (though I believe he's almost completed a build including this part) so I couldn't test in advance. It certainly makes a noticable difference to a twin-turbo DMC-12 in Forza 4 though Smile
The gearbox I had done was actually built by Kevin Jones at GTO - the guy responsible for its existence in the first place. He's an hour down the M4 from where I live now. I know he's likely to mix'n'match parts as required so I wouldn't bs surprised if the casing I got back was from a GTA - externally they're identical and he wouldn't let something out the door that was sub-par.

That car turned into such an enormous project that it still isn't done or drivable yet :wink:

There's a chap in the RAOC who'se doing wonders with the 2.5 engines. Now up to 350hp at the engine and over 300 on the rollers, and that's with re-mapping the standard ECU! (and a chargecooler and a lot of engine internal work, but still looks stock externally)

http://www.renaultalpineownersclub.com/ ... sc&start=0

If you follow the thread to the end, I ask him about gearbox and clutch upgrades given he's well into transmission-busting territory!

BTW just a word on the flasher relay - careful you get one that makes the required ticking noise, and where the pin-out is correct. The DeLorean uses a relay whose pin out does not match the majority of 3-pin relays - and relies on the external capacitor to function.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21