The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Starglider Wrote:[Image: block-sealed_zps55db4073.jpg]

:?: Those aren't K-Jet heads :?:
Guinney1971 Wrote:What PAS set up is he doing? I'm looking at electronic power steering, as its easier then
messing about with new racks and pumps and stuff.
This one, it's electric: http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/product_ ... 87500df971

I could think of better things to splash two grand on though, I think you'd need to have more money than sense to "invest" in one of those. Just my opinion of course Wink
Yes 2k is a lot especially if you have to then pay some one to fit it. But I suppose as the car is being built from scratch then it probably wont add to the build cost (much) Nice clean looking engine, be good to see pics of it finished with everything bolted on.
Chris
two grand for a PAS system! Shock

Blimey, I'm looking at doing a DIY install using a Vauxhall system (as used by the Irish guys)
for about £70 8)
The price (of the power steering) is negotiable.

Quote:Those aren't K-Jet heads :?:

The only vendor who thought that retaining K-Jet for a forced induction engine was a good idea was Josh (at DPI). I had a discussion with Ed about a previous Legend-replica engine he made for a Canadian customer that retained K-Jet and how it was impossible to tune correctly. As such I accepted his suggestion to go for a late-80s EFI system, as the most historically appropriate option that Ed was sure he could make work reliably.
One pretty solid reason for not using K-Jet for forced induction is that the injectors can blow out of their holes :lol: Not a terminal problem but kinda sums up the "it wasn't designed for it" point.

The manifold and heads in question are from the Z7U Renault 2.5 turbo which first appeared in the Renault 25 turbo in 1984. We now know JZD was trying to buy this engine for DMC (Steve Dell in the RAOC has recently uncovered documentation to this effect). Early versions of this engine had the same block as the DeLorean. Later versions saw a revised oil pump, cross bolted centre journals and thicker liners. The crank has a 10mm shorter stroke which brings the displacement down but gave them more room for stronger pistons. It also has offset crankpins to provide a 120 degree firing angle (aka even fire).

I'm very curious if Ed is keeping the odd-fire crank? It'd be doing it the hard way if he is... Do you know how the ignition is achieved? Dizzy or coil packs? How is he triggering thie ECU?

Just curious. It's fascinating to see how other people solve the same problems.
you're right, it is fascinating seeing almost 'reverse archaeology' in practice here
with building 'what would have been' if the car had stayed in production and kept
the PRV engine, as Steven's paperwork would suggest.

I'm waiting the next instalment with interest Smile
Ed has got the block cleaned up and coated;

[Image: block1_zps42fc9fe2.jpg]

[Image: block2_zps7b2699a5.jpg]
Oh my word, this is going to be one special car when it's done!
Wow, looks like it's been dipped in Chrome! 8) Gonna be one very clean car when it's finished.

Chris
oh its your engine Ed put pictures of on Facebook!!

Good luck keeping that clean :wink:
Guinney1971 Wrote:Good luck keeping that clean :wink:

I suspect it will be cleaned once a year, for the club event. Smile
Starglider Wrote:
Guinney1971 Wrote:Good luck keeping that clean :wink:

I suspect it will be cleaned once a year, for the club event. Smile

Good man Big Grin
Progress on the car has been slow, mostly due to heavy workload for Chris N (lots of people turning up and demanding their dodgy newly imported cars get fixed / restored Smile ). Still the frame and body are bolted together, the car is on its wheels and most of the brackets fitted, ready for the body panels to be mounted. I have taken the headliners and roof panels away to be recovered; Chris tried a bland grey material on them initially but it doesn't look very appealing. Also I'm planning to drill some holes in the top of the binnacle before it gets covered, and glue some circular rare-earth magnets in there. That will allow me to attach additional instrumentation to the top of the dash (e.g. BTTF style digital speedo) without needing visible fixings, and easily removable. Ed's power steering module is now fitted but not yet powered; apparently Chris had a hell of a job getting it in there, because it tried to occupy the same space as the RHD pedal box. I'm going back in a week or so to help with the wiring.
ooh, interesting stuff, looking forward to seeing some piccies when you are down there next Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21