The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Is it up and running yet or awaiting exhaust Etc? How far do you think it is away from being up and running?
Chris
Chris Williams Wrote:Is it up and running yet or awaiting exhaust Etc? How far do you think it is away from being up and running?

Hopefully a couple of months, although details may take longer.
PJ Grady Europe fibreglass rear bumper; the 'turbo' lettering is a custom addition (will put stainless cutout letters in there to match the usual delorean logo ones);

[Image: bumper_zps77eafc63.jpg]

Have also ordered Tomico's LED door lights with the cloudy / grey lenses.
I like that, that goes to show how much thought has been put into what your doing. Will look stock rather than an aftermarket sticker! Did he keep the moulds or whatever so it can be done again?
Chris
And being Fibreglass it should remain straight too rather than getting the usual 'droop' in the middle!
Chris Williams Wrote:Did he keep the moulds or whatever so it can be done again?

The fibreglass front & rear fascias are standard parts that Chris N will be offering for sale, although he is hopeless at promoting his parts. The 'turbo' lettering is an inset mould and is technically copyright me (drew lettering by hand, the standard 'rustproof' font looked wrong for the mockup). I don't mind other people using it but only if it's actually going on a turbo car, would be silly to put it on the stage I/II/III cars. Smile
The fibreglass fascias look brilliant, they will look the business once painted up!

What sort of price is Chris doing these for? (not that I need one, just interested)
looks really smart - one question, will they be as forgiving as the originals (and indeed any modern
plastic bumper) which flex in minor bumps?
Guinney1971 Wrote:looks really smart - one question, will they be as forgiving as the originals (and indeed any modern plastic bumper) which flex in minor bumps?

I don't think so, fibreglass is quite rigid. That's the trade-off you make unfortunately.

Engine rebuild has been delayed a month as it turned out more parts were needed than originally expected. Frustrating, but unavoidable. As a side note Ed recommended machining the flywheel to lighten it; he says with the EFI quite a lot of weight can be removed without any roughness or idle issues. I said go ahead; should make the engine rev a little easier.
Seat covers are done. Two-tone grey, relatively low contrast with slight bolstering, modified from plain light grey covers supplied by John Hervey). Legend Industries was of course the company doing engine development for the turbo DMC-12s. This isn't really a plausible dealer option but I like to imagine them making a little extra selling these direct to turbo car owners (had production gone ahead).

[Image: seat-cover_zps702e5e97.jpg]

[Image: headrest_zps97a719c0.jpg]

[Image: headrest-logo_zps4e68e147.jpg]

Custom stainless exhaust tips, made by Chris N by welding together parts from several off-the-shelf aftermarket tips. Unlike certain recent cars all exits are actually functional Smile

[Image: photo_zps4207d639.jpg]
Nice work!

Won't those wooden arms get in the way when you change gear?
Richard please.........Don't be silly, we expect more from our technical expert!

......anyone can see they are folding.
Transmission bolted to the engine, with Ed's uprated clutch. The limited-slip diff caused endless problems with alignment, clearance and split pins.

[Image: engine-trans_zps695c699a.jpg]

Ed has the engine in the car, waiting for assorted plumbing and wiring;

[Image: engine-installed_zpsea82103b.jpg]

Gearbox casing still needs some cleanup, Chris says he needs to take it off again once it's back in the UK for powercoating.

As usual for a twin turbo, the alternator had to be relocated with a custom bracket;

[Image: engine-alternator_zps9f03d2fe.jpg]
Are the turbos stating that way around? The Legend engines have them the other way with exhaust pointing rearwards (though I believe they never worked out air intake plumbing properly - Marc Levy's point sideways into cone filters in the pontoons).
stunned_monkey Wrote:Are the turbos stating that way around? The Legend engines have them the other way with exhaust pointing rearwards (though I believe they never worked out air intake plumbing properly - Marc Levy's point sideways into cone filters in the pontoons).

The exhaust layout was the subject of some debate. Naturally my starting point was 'like the show engine & other prototypes'. Ed's position was that this was probably fine for development, but with the catalytic converters and mufflers present the result was pointlessly restrictive, harder to make and had increased fire risk. I said that he'd copied it on his previous (K-Jet) Legend replica. Ed said that he did that because the owner insisted on originality, but it was a bodged design and the exhaust layout was different on each prototype anyway. Eventually I relented and said that if he genuinely thought his layout made more sense for production, and would also improve performance a little, then go for it. There was a similar debate about topmount vs pontoon intercoolers, but I think we both felt that the top mount design was more likely for production; cheaper/easier to build, easier to swap twin vs single vs non-turbo engines.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21