The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: VIN 12306 'Auryn' : RHD rebuild
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Quite literally another hitch...!
Rich Hanlon Wrote:Quite literally another hitch...!

I was wondering if someone would catch that Wink
If you are desperate and Bozzy's deal doesn't come good, I have a spare engine cover that has slight accident damage but could easily be fixed by a fibreglass expert. Free for collection ( from Derby) but don't ask about carriage or transport as I simply haven't got time to sort it.
Chris P Wrote:I have a spare engine cover that has slight accident damage but could easily be fixed by a fibreglass expert.

Really appreciate the offer, however Chris has decided to make one from scratch. Ed wanted it modified anyway for intercooler clearance, and given Chris's work so far I suspect it will turn out better than the original. Smile As for the louvres Chris has donated the ones from his personal car to the build for now, I believe he has a good source in the US for a replacement set.
great that you're able to sort the parts and that your build will not be held up for now.
Started DIY fitting a Isuzu Trooper 3.5t fixed bar to TicTac, ran into the problem that the rear frame crossmember on the Vehicross is welded rather than bolted. Fortunately the bolt holes are still there so it fitted ok after a bit of shoving and hammering, but all the supplied bolts are the wrong lengths (partly due to the shield over the LPG tank). Will try to get some appropriate ones from the DIY place tomorrow. The towbar and everything on the Vehicross is very heavy and sturdy compared to my old Audi, since it's built up from light truck mechanicals. By contrast the removable towbar on AURYN came off a Toyota Yaris and is only rated for 1 tonne; probably more than enough for a DeLorean.
interested in your towbar on the De, would like to see how its done as its something we've
toyed with doing to Flopsy or Sorbet at some point.
Stopped by at Chris P's place to pick up the damaged cover today; Chris N wants it as a template for his new version. Chris P's garage is very impressive - was especially impressed by the original dealer sign. Started discussing some DeLorean history - interesting stuff, wish I could have stayed longer, but I had a lot more miles to cover. Thanks agian Chris, hope to meet again at a club event soon.

Guinney1971 Wrote:interested in your towbar on the De, would like to see how its done as its something we've
toyed with doing to Flopsy or Sorbet at some point.

Chris N is making the spider for it, using existing bolts only. I'm sure he could make more if the demand is there.
It was nice to meet up with you, hope you got home OK with your big trailer. Im sure Chris N will make a good job of a new one.

Thanks for the wine and ....SEE YOU IN THE FUTURE.....

Chris p
Tried to take the car over to Ed, but alas disaster struck. We managed to get most of the parts back into the trailer...

[Image: trailer_zpsbe419401.jpg]
Hang on, it's not 1st April... :wink:

I spy a 3rd door inside the car too Shock
Stuart Rees Wrote:I spy a 3rd door inside the car too Shock

Ok you got me. Smile Chris ended up trading a lot of parts with Ed, and I was going back empty, so we loaded on a tub, four side panels, four doors, a set of louvres and some misc bumper parts for the return trip. All of which Chris crammed into his workshop somehow.

Here is AURYN being towed behind my Vehicross;

[Image: towing2_zps490fc944.jpg]

glad I went for a three axle trailer, was very stable even with bumpy roads to Harwich and the short wheelbase on the tow vehucle. Bit of a pig to manhandle though. Unloading at DMC Europe;

[Image: auryn-trailer_zpsa43c41f6.jpg]

Ed's twin turbo is mostly built up, a few ancillaries to go on;

[Image: engine-bare_zpsab851407.jpg]

Ed will be doing the engine install and tune, he convinced me to let him add his 'wishbone style' lower control arm supports as well (with the 2nd gen narrower bushings).

[Image: auryn-engine_zpsbf9dc786.jpg]

Chris was skeptical of travelling by ferry at first but approved after discovering the free mini-bar Smile
On the way back, I recommend loading the car in reverse with the engine at the front of the trailer :wink:
that engine looks the mutts nuts Big Grin
Car is still at DMC Europe, Chris is still working on some bits and pieces (e.g. custom stainless spoiler, exhaust). No pics of those yet but here's a couple of AURYN in the sunlight on Canvey Island;

[Image: dmc-sunlight1_zps97050689.jpg]

[Image: dmc-sunlight2_zpsea072ebf.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21