The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: DeLorean indicators
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The DeLorean is technically a British car, but it was made for America...so my question is:

When the cars were brand new, did the cars indicators stay on constant?
yes, some UK cars still have them lit all the time. Mine doesn't.
Isnt it illegal to have them on constant in the UK?
Mine are set to come on with the headlamps, but they still flash ok when indicators/hazards on.

See:

[Image: donington.jpg]

I think there were people who had MOT testers querying this, but alot of new cars, for instance the new Land Rover, also now have the 'indictors' lit up when lights are on too.
It's fine to have these yellow sidelights now.

Up until 2005, I think, it was an MOT Failure but due to the lovely EU that rule has been changed.

You still need white sidelights by law but the yellow ones are no longer a failure
Double filament indicators have never been an MOT failure if the car is/was a US import as long as the car also has white sidelights. A lot of MOT places (including the one Dave and I used to use) don't/didn't know this.
No the lack of a white front sidelight is the problem.

Also it's a contentious issue about the import/USA thing as the car was made in the UK and then technically exported out. Thats how DMCL got around the import duty problem as you needed to prove the cars were made in the UK.

Had a long drawn out discussion about this with the local MOT and DVLA office, I now have a copy of the MOT'ers manual. You would be amazed what you can and cant do, it all depends on the way the tester reads the rules!

The new EU ruling states that it's now ok for ALL cars to have the yellow sidelights. Not sure if they can be the only sidelights ? Again the manual is vague on this area
I can see why that would be vague Dan, as some French cars had yellow headlamps.

Like you say though, I guess its how the MOT tester interprets the rules.
[/quote]
Also it's a contentious issue about the import/USA thing as the car was made in the UK and then technically exported out. Thats how DMCL got around the import duty problem as you needed to prove the cars were made in the UK
[quote]

So if a car has been built in and exported from the uk you dont have to pay full duty?

bozzzydmc

I am informed that is right, only VAT is applicable.

NickT

janvdwouw Wrote:
Claire Usher Wrote:I can see why that would be vague Dan, as some French cars had yellow headlamps.
Yellow Headlamps is quite common in France for some reason...

The officiel name for the color of the indicators and sidelights is "Amber" AFAIK, not "yellow"...

This pic isn't really representative as the effect is obtained with a lenscover,
but you cen clearly see the difference between the yellow headlamp and amber turnsignal.

[Image: 020%20510x.jpg]

French legislation/ design as slighlty amber lights are better in fog. They used yellow for the main lamps as opposed to separate fog lamps afaik.

NickT.