The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Time Machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
http://bit.ly/Nsr18G

Anyone interested in a car share around West Yorkshire? I'm genuinely interested in going halves and have cash waiting. I have always wanted one of these, and I'm certain I'm not the only one. I have a good friend who has worked on these before and maintains other mid engines sports cars.

Feel free to pm me in confidence if interested. You only live once!
Looks Good

Going halves...VERY BAD idea!
Darren C Wrote:Looks Good

I completely disagree. I have the funds to do it and im as genuine as they come. I KNOW there's a few of you out there who's wives won't quite let you spend £30k on one of these but would be willing to meet in the middle. Here's a perfect opportunity to meet a diehard BTTF fan and share the dream. I'll be attending the Silverstone classic show next week and I'm based around Leeds, so would be more than happy to have a pint or two and discuss details.

I have obtained insurance quotes and secure storage quotes, of which are very cost effective, I just can't quite justify the full £30k to the other half, although I could afford it.
Quote:Looks Good

I'm not sure to be honest, I think you would have to have EVERYTHING wrote down before you started (costs/storage you name it plus everything you cant think of at the moment) I have friends who do this with planes and helicopters so I cant see why it should not work with a car. Probably a first to do it but the only problem is getting all the paperwork sorted (plus finding willing partner)

Chris
Planes and helicopters are shared by people with large disposable income.

Shared Car ownership based on not being able to justify £30K to your other half is a recipe for disaster.

Lets say I go halves with you and decide I want to spend £10K on the car making it more screen accurate, so knock on your door and ask you for £5K. Then next week the engine blows, so as I have plenty of disposable income I buy a new crate engine and knock on your door for another £2K. Then the week after I'd like a turbo conversion so book the car in for that. But at the same time I'm out in it, you want to use the car.
I filled it up with Fuel, say £70, then you used it but didn't fill it back up or visa versa.
I get a puncture, so ask you for half towards a new tyre.

It simply DOES NOT WORK, it'll end in tears
What happens if either party gets made redundant and it's sell the car or loose your home, but the other party doesn't want to sell or have the funds to bail the other out?

What happens if you both want to take the car to the same event, but each wife wants to be the passenger?

Who's name goes on the log book?

What happens if one party takes out finance on his or her share without the other knowing, then misses payments?

If you've got £30K as you say, then just buy the car outright. If your wife is not happy with you realising your dream, then part owning the car isn't the solution, it's the wife you need to part exchange. :lol:
yeah id say a bad idea really, and a bit nieve.

as said above, dont look at how good it could be always look at how bad it could go!
Maybe if you had a friend or relative to do it with but a stranger i can not see it ever working out.

darrens idea is the best with the wife, dream killerrrrrrr Wink

I often wonder if i would enjoy owning a bttf replica, im sure the fun of driving it would die out soon enough?

i bet it rattles like hell?

curious to see what it goes for
Quote:Planes and helicopters are shared by people with large disposable income
Not always Darren :wink: BUT these are bound by very strict sharing codes of conduct and maintenence/servicing costs are a bit more planned/enforced so you know a lot more of this upfront. None the less I do agree with you on all your other points.

Chris
Darren C Wrote:Planes and helicopters are shared by people with large disposable income.

Shared Car ownership based on not being able to justify £30K to your other half is a recipe for disaster.

Lets say I go halves with you and decide I want to spend £10K on the car making it more screen accurate, so knock on your door and ask you for £5K. Then next week the engine blows, so as I have plenty of disposable income I buy a new crate engine and knock on your door for another £2K. Then the week after I'd like a turbo conversion so book the car in for that. But at the same time I'm out in it, you want to use the car.
I filled it up with Fuel, say £70, then you used it but didn't fill it back up or visa versa.
I get a puncture, so ask you for half towards a new tyre.

It simply DOES NOT WORK, it'll end in tears

Sorry about the delayed response, I only had access via a mobile and hate to do thorough response on it Smile

Clearly, these are very valid and expected questions. To answer the first, It would be discussed and agreed in advance as the the accuracy of the car.

If the engine blows, I'm in the motor trade so having a mid engined car worked on is not a problem at all. With regards to the cost, worst case scenario I could either borrow the cash from a close family member who has some disposable income, or look at taking a small loan, not a problem.

Turbo conversions aren't really necessary, and of course if discussed in advance as per above, could be excluded going forwards.

There would be a fair booking schedule and if someone has it booked...that's life and part of sharing a vehicle and i'm absolutely fine with that. If we're being honest though, it's hardly going to be driven a few times a week once the initial excitement period is over. It will be a truly respected car generally for weekend use and to events.

If you stick £70 fuel in and use half, I either do the same next time or hand over half of the expense.

If the tyre punctures, again, I'm in the trade and a new tyre would be fit and cost shared.

There is a reason why I'm looking to fund half, it's so that I can have a bit of cash aside for these exact reasons and not stretch myself. If it transpires that both parties can't afford the repairs until payday, then that's how it goes. The same rule applies in that if for some reason the other party couldn't quite afford a small repair that month, it's fine, I would either cover it and the expense could be paid the following month perhaps in fuel costs etc. As long as both guys are genuine and it's all documented, it will be absolutely fine.

This is why it's hard to gauge a person across forums. I suspect that all of you here are excellent, trust worthy guys. A Delorean isn't the type of car that idiots own, to put it bluntly. I would imagine, as with any classics, that you are caring and sensible individuals who have a passion for these cars.
dknight Wrote:yeah id say a bad idea really, and a bit nieve.

as said above, dont look at how good it could be always look at how bad it could go!
Maybe if you had a friend or relative to do it with but a stranger i can not see it ever working out.

darrens idea is the best with the wife, dream killerrrrrrr Wink

I often wonder if i would enjoy owning a bttf replica, im sure the fun of driving it would die out soon enough?

i bet it rattles like hell?

curious to see what it goes for

I can truly understand the concerns of above, which is exactly why it would be great to meet face to face with perhaps a current Delorean owner who would be interested in converting his own car and looking for a partner to help with the conversion. I still believe that going for a prebuilt car from the experienced (i.e. Bruce) would be more cost effective and far less problems.

The fun of driving a time machine.....well if that could fade out I have no hope in that joy lasting for any other sports car Smile It would be such a nostalgic feeling, and making others smile must be amazing wherever you go. It will also hold it's value and most probably go up over the years too, also.

Having seen one of Bruces epic conversions in real life when in Florida, I can confirm that they are very well built and everything is secured properly. It was truly the most exciting thing I have seen and been in since being a kid at Christmas. I have been to MANY car shows and driven many supercars, but this.....it's just on a different level. Sure, the performance isn't anything to rave about, but the feeling of stepping in a time machine is just 'timeless'.
Darren C Wrote:What happens if either party gets made redundant and it's sell the car or loose your home, but the other party doesn't want to sell or have the funds to bail the other out?

What happens if you both want to take the car to the same event, but each wife wants to be the passenger?

Who's name goes on the log book?

What happens if one party takes out finance on his or her share without the other knowing, then misses payments?

If you've got £30K as you say, then just buy the car outright. If your wife is not happy with you realising your dream, then part owning the car isn't the solution, it's the wife you need to part exchange. :lol:

That's something that would again, have to be discussed. Certainly from my side, i'm a key member of a small, well established and respected IT firm. I have jobs thrown at me for fun as I'm a certified Microsoft engineer.

My wife couldn't care less about going in the car Smile

I would be happy either way about the name on the log book. As long as there is signed documentation with regards to the partnership, that's fine with me!

I have a house that is easily affordable and don't do what a lot of the nation do and go for a larger house and find myself struggling each month. I would be happy to share what I have spare each month with those interested.

lol about the wife! :lol: I'm not going to say anything just in case she decides to have a quick peek at the forums :wink:
Chris Williams Wrote:
Quote:Looks Good

I'm not sure to be honest, I think you would have to have EVERYTHING wrote down before you started (costs/storage you name it plus everything you cant think of at the moment) I have friends who do this with planes and helicopters so I cant see why it should not work with a car. Probably a first to do it but the only problem is getting all the paperwork sorted (plus finding willing partner)

Chris

I completely agree. Refer to my above posts as to why Smile
The road to hell is paved with good intention Luke.
Darren C Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhHEhncw5Og

So, wait a minute... Ah, you're telling me that you wouldn't part own a TIME MACHINE.... Because I left the heater on too high..?!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5