The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Oil confused
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I went up to Halfords to buy some oil to change on 510 and was a bit confused what best to purchase, there own makes say for non fuel injection engine, they have these in stock

Halfords Classic Car Mineral oil 20w 50
Mobil 1000 15w 40
Castrol GTX 15W 40

Are any of these suitable or can somene recomend a good one for me

Regards Stephen
I went to my local motor factors when I did Flopsy's oil change, and got Comma 20w50,
it was about £11 for 5 litres, which is cheaper then Halfords and it did the job just fine.

Hope this helps,
I've got Castrol GTX or Magnatex (Can't remember which now) 10W40. Done around 2000 miles on this oil, no problems, engine running like a dream. No idea what was in there before i bought LEX though.
I can recommend the Castrol 15/40 s.s.(semi-synth not stainless steel) heartily, gives great oil pressure and makes the motor smoother-seems to run a lot better than on the 20/50 stuff.
I suppose you ned to take into account the age/mileage and mechanical condition of your DMCs engine before choosing the oil-cost is also a factor these days, Morrisons have a good range of engine oils and dont cost the earth. 8)
20/40 mineral oil is fine, remember this is for an engine built for late 70's when that was all there was!
Chris
Vanilla flavoured 10W40 multi-grade. (that's what I put in Lex when I serviced it last, Chris).

As much as everyone would like to think otherwise, there ain't nuffink special about the DeLorean engine Mr Green
^ what he said
I love these oil threads. They come up so often and you find people who sell oil signing up to threads with their nice stories usually :wink:
What gets me about it is that people obsess with oil and filters for the DeLorean then put or allow to have put any old crappy oil and filter in the car you drive 12,000 miles in per year, modern vehicles are far more picky about the oils that they need to have in them.
Chris
I hadn't put a subscribe to this thread Chris, apologies for not responding until now. I agree, it's a bit silly but without sillyness, the world wouldn't work :lol: