The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: heater fan not working
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The heater fan has decided not to work, steps taken-removed blowerand put 12volts to it,works fine-correct direction of rotation, cleaned all the spade connectors and the earth points on the blower casing, reinstalled and no power to the + connector, although when the control switch is moved to maximum 4, a click comes from the relay area and still no power. Is there a hidden fuse somewhere behind the dash? I replaced the heater matrix 2 years ago and dont remember seeing any. No fuses have blown in the fuse box. Any ideas anyone? 8)
hi mate,

got RichH here, him and Phill seem to think it could be the resistor block,
which you will find to the left of the blower motor (underneath the heater
ducting). Could well be grey in colour.

Hope this helps!
Sometimes if I dont get the mode switch in the correct location it does not switch on the blower motor, so may be worth checking this as well (note to self overhaul mode switch)
Chris
Cheers guys-Ive had alook at the resistor block and it seems ok-not burnt or otherwise duff, there is no power going to the 3rd and 4th speed fan relays, I had a few loose spade connectors here, cleaned and tightened but no joy even with ignition on and turning the switch. Shouldnt the 2 lower speeds work without the other 2? 8)
Mode switch.

You haven't just got the mode switch in the off position have you? :wink:
1 & 2 take power directly via the knob
3 & 4 have relays powered via the knob and draw power via the circuit breaker
1,2 & 3 go via the resistor pack.

If you say you can hear a click from the relay on speed 4, that suggests the switch is getting power, though it is the only single point of failure for all 4 speeds other than the motor itself.
Thanks for the info, will dismantle dash panel and check the switch out asap. 8)
n.b. fixed it-earth wire to the rel ay block (attached to the relays in a link it seems) was loose in the housing and was not making a good connection, the main beam fuse holder looked slightly melted as well, but it has always been like that since I bought the car years ago! I've soldered a new spade connector on and checked all the connectors in the block and all seems well, got 4 speeds on my fan back- obviously this faults been there for a long time but sorted now, worth checking if you have a similar fault as mainbeam/dipped beam and fan speed 3 &4 relays are linked to the same earth connection. 8)