The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Ignition wont switch off!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone had this?...

Today, after giving LEX a bath (first time for me to actually use the hose on her) i was moving cars around, and when it came to switch off LEX, she wouldn't stop!? Even with the key in my hand, fully out of the ignition!!!!??? Eventually, to get her to stop, i had to let off the hand brake.....yes, you read right.....the HAND BRAKE!!! After that, she was fine again. Started, and stopped as normal.
This has now happened 3 times! BUT, the third time, the car wouldn't stop with the hand brake release, instead, i had to push on the footbrake pedal to stop the engine!!!??

(I'm a bit concerned i'll be in a suitable position to take LEX down to Wales next week, but at some point on the long journey, via Rugby, i'll not be able to stop the engine at all, except for perhaps pulling the positive terminal off the battery to make the engine faulter to a stop (dangerous with the engine running!)
Thats bizzare. :?

And anything bizarre is always an earth fault.

Check earthing points at the front lhs on top of the crumple frame. The bolt is right next to a support strut for the radiator. Strip it, clean all the terminals and reassemble.

Also earth point on the radio frame, just to the right of the A/C panel.

Also check the main earth strap for the engine - on rhs engine mounting

Finally main battery connection to the chassis - it shares one of the mounting bolts for the trailing arm bush on the rhs.
following on from a DeLorean gathering the other night, we got chatting about this problem on your car Rissy, and I cant remember whether or not your car had a remote start system fitted on it years ago - I think one of the ways of turning the car off was by taking the keys out and pressing the brake, but not sure. Best check with Martin - I know one was fitted on DGS, but cant remember if Lex had one too.
Guinney1971 Wrote:following on from a DeLorean gathering the other night, we got chatting about this problem on your car Rissy, and I cant remember whether or not your car had a remote start system fitted on it years ago - I think one of the ways of turning the car off was by taking the keys out and pressing the brake, but not sure. Best check with Martin - I know one was fitted on DGS, but cant remember if Lex had one too.

Ah! Now this might be it! LEX DOES have a remote starter/alarm fitted. Its an Ultrastarter something or other (Got the manual here, will look it out) This would make it understandable how the engine has been capable of continuing to run, without the key in the ignition...

It's REALLY strange, because until a number of days ago, i thought the alarm system was all working normally, but only NOW (after disconnecting my battery - even though it wasn't the first time i've done this as LEX has a new battery from what was in there when i bought her from Jay) do i think it is working more appropriately. I even had the siren going off a couple of times now! (I think its too sensitive though, as closing the front door of the house too heavily has been setting it off etc! lol!)
This all makes me wonder why only NOW is the alarm working.... what have i done? what have i disturbed? i really don't know. All i do know now as that i think i need to find a way of making the alarm less sensitive, or it may not be a very peaceful time at the hotel next weekend! lol!

Since reading your mail reply here, i've also tried remotely starting the car from the fob, since everything else seems to be "working" now.....THAT still DOESN'T work! lol!
ah, the mysteries of DeLorean electrics!! :lol:

I think you're gonna be keeping RichH busy this weekend!! lol :lol:
Rissy Wrote:Ah! Now this might be it! LEX DOES have a remote starter/alarm fitted. Its an Ultrastarter something or other (Got the manual here, will look it out) This would make it understandable how the engine has been capable of continuing to run, without the key in the ignition...

Yes you are right, it is the remote start system.

Because Lex is a manual trans car the engine has to be running when you exit the vehicle, and hand brake applied so that the engine is then still running when the door is closed and locked with no one inside.

The system knows if the car is running and if it's safe (door locks, interior lights and hand brake switch tells it this) from these it can establish that either the car is in gear but with a person inside (safe) or it is in neutral with no one inside (safe)
Otherwise the system could potentially let you start the car remotly when it's in gear which would not be pretty!

I have a remote start on mine but automatic gearboxes have a built in inhibit switch that prevents you from starting it in gear anyway so no need for the all the theatricals.

The random nature of these occurances are probably because...

a) On those occasions you just happened to do the correct sequence to activate the remote starter i.e. car in neutral, hand break on, foot on brake peddle when you removed the key (or somthing to that effect)

b) Removing the battery, perhaps the 2nd time it was disconnected a little longer, the remote start system has changed to a default setting.

Just my 2p

James
you could well be right there James - I'm sure it will get sorted this weekend - if Rissy doesnt see this post I'll pass the info onto him.

Thanks,