The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: New Website
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi gang.
Just a quick note.
Im still working on the new website which has been going fine up until I found a slight flaw when users are using Internet Explorer 6. Like...(Mention no names aahaacoughRichHhrrrm)
Anyway, for the techies out there who already knew IE6 doesnt support layers, you may laugh when you hear I built the entire structure of the site using this method! lol
This has now been put right, but the entire site is having to be redone. Im still on the ball with this and it shouldnt be too long before we have something new up and running.

The purpose of this post is to attract the attention of any Steven Kings out there, who would like to give me ideas, as to new content for the site. I am still requireing new writeups on the following items....RHD and Euro Spec, Importing, About DMC (Maybe a myth busters type article) and possibly a topic on unusual and rare deloreans.

Any other ideas are welcome.
Drop your suggestions here or PM me with any info you have.

Cheers,
Paul Birks.
ayup Paul, trust RichH eh!! :lol: Must admit, I went back to IE7 as IE8 was playing havoc
with my computer.

I know we discussed some ideas on Sunday, but a x-link from the website to the forum for
events is a good idea (as suggested by Binny), and maybe some sort of 'car of the month' or
downloadable wallpapers or summat?

Would also be good if the website has got the facility to keep the show gallery going in some
format, as it will save the forum getting clogged up, plus it will be easier to look back on DOC-UK
events rather then trawl through pages of the forum - also, I know that the Events pages were
"cleaned up" by someone a year or so ago, and virtually everything was deleted....... :roll:
Yep I agree Claire.
Shame about the loss of data too from the event pages.

I'll PM you the URL of the site-in-progress, to see what you think.
Bear in mind, most topics aren't in place yet as ive had to completely
redesign the site because of the afore mentioned IE6 problems and layers.
The topics that are in place still need a little touching up, but im just trying
to get the content in there first, and worry about the asthetics later.

IE8 is an ARSE. ARSE I tell you. <<LOL My own word censor kicking in..hahahah>>
Ive never had so many problems.
IE6 doesnt support alot of the newer webstandard features, but IE7 is
a nice compromise. I suggest everyone who can switch to this....does.

But I'll still have to cater for everyone, Operating Systems, Screen Resolutions,
Browser type and version, and most importantly..ease of use for the more
web challenged people out there. Yet, still keep in interesting enough for
the younger generation to keep comeing back.

Anyway...ramble ramble...Take a look and give us some feedback will ya?
Cheers,
Birksie.
While I think on.
Is there anyone willing to do write-ups on the follwing articles for me please?
Right Hand Drive and Euro Spec
Importing
Rare and Unusual Deloreans
History of the DeLorean motor company (As brief as possible....obviously!)

Thanks.

Paul.
How about setting up the events page to take the individual topics off the forum using ssi includes. Although it would mean they could be abit jumbled up and might require regular forum pruning. Just a thought anyway.
Birksie, just pm'd you mate, the test site is the dogs danglies - and worked perfectly
with my IE7, fwiw my PC runs on XP-Pro.

Mike, you've gone abit over my head, but I'm sure Paul will understand what you mean!! lol
Yeah, I thought that too Mike, but I dont see the point when its one click away on the forum anyway.
If it were to be done, it could be done better by announcing the events in seperate locked topics using a certain subject format ie DD-MM-YY-EVENT to read from.
Members could then comment on the particular event by opening a seperate thread, that wouldnt interfere with the original topic (thats locked anyway lol).
But you get my drift. There wouldnt be any need for pruning then.

Pff im a pillock...easier still, a single locked topic.
If you are looking at adding a gallery I would suggest Coppermine Gallery http://coppermine-gallery.net which is free to use. I used this on an old forum, and I know it can be integrated into forum software with minimal effort.

This might be an option for you since you could control which members can upload content to the galley, e.g. you may only wish admin/moderators to upload etc.

Just an option anyway, happy to help if needed.
Thanks Mike. Ive found a decent piece of free software already thanks. Its called iWebAlbum. No ads or rubbish attached. Seems to do the trick quite nicely. Select pics from your hard drive, and it will create folders automatically with the copied resized images and index.html page. Simples!
Big Grin at "simples" I love those adverts.

Don't suppose you guys have thought about upgrading the board software have you? To something like say Invision Power Board, in my opinion thee best forum software available at the moment, only downside is they charge for it, about $150 one off cost if i remember correctly.
To be honest Mike. The current board does exactly what we want. It will have a facelift too to match the new website, so it will all look integrated.
As for security, there are a few small issues that have crept up from time to time, but the forum admin along with other moderators have kept on top of this so far.
For the time being we're going to keep running PhpBB. Its not a bad bit of kit really. :wink:
i must admit i always used invision when it was free, absolutely loved it!! But as Paul says this one does the job, at least for now Smile
I must admit I never got on with the admin panel with phpBB, the Invision admin panel is a lot more nicely laid out to my mind. Big Grin

For the new site are you coding something from scratch or using multiple pieces of software working together?

For example, on bttfhv I have used:
IPB 1.3.1 (the free version), MkPortal, and Coppermine on the first incarnation of the site

The current version is using IPB 2.3.6, IP Gallery, IP Downloads, and MkPortal

The next version will transition the site to a fully IP house, using IPB 3, IP Gallery, IP Downloads, IP Blog, and IP Content (replacing MkPortal as the front end of the site)

All three incarnations were/are/will be fully intergrated with each other, the next version has the advantage of being able to make all changes from one admin panel rather than multiple. Which was always a pain on the current and previous version of the site.

If you guys need any help with anything over here, I'd be happy to help out.
All offers of help are gratefully received Mike Smile

Paul has done a fantastic job of the new website we hope everyone will like it.
I did a test migration to IPB a long time ago then the forum went to the current version of phpBB and apart from me having to go a little SQL magic in the back end it all worked fine.

The reason I didnt make it live was that we dident have a licence for IPB.

Dan
Pages: 1 2