The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: URR 686* spotted!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looked in really nice shape too!

I was the guy in the Silver S3 tooting at you and gesturing to wind your window down! Really cheered me up seeing that, as I'd just had a woman in a 4x4 wipe out the passenger side front end of my Audi about 20 mins earlier! Cry
Hi

Yes the car left us on Sat morning, lovely car, interior and body is top kotch!

Best wishes!

Chris
Hi folks,

That was me, traffic was not too bad on the M25, I was worried I'd be stuck in it for ages.

Got back safe and sound, only some minor niggles. Car is A1 and hat goes off to Chris for an excellent job taking care of the car (and me).

Loads of pics here:

http://flickr.com/gp/zzpza/NS6005

A friend of mine that came along did all the photography.

Thomas.
car looks stunning Thomas - did you request an early gas flap bonnet for it, or did it come
like that?

Also, noticed that your mate used a Canon EOS 5D for the pics - I like some of the effects,
what sort of lens did he use, as I'm looking to upgrade to a digital EOS from my 35mm version.

Cheers,
The car had a later non pleated flat hood originally. I was quite keen to get the early gas flap hood.

What we actually ended up doing was getting an early '82 pleated hood without a gas flap and cutting one into it. As you can imagine, Chris did an awesome job and you can't tell unless you open the flap (the actual filler cap does not have a lock on it).

Pics were taken with a Canon EF series 16-35L F2.8 (no image stabiliser). A friend of mine took all the pics.

Thanks,

Thomas.
ah right, interesting Smile Chris is a stainless God, it has to be said - he worked wonders with
my car, and people are amazed when I show them where all the damage was on my car, and
that Chris fixed it.

Cheers for the info on the camera too Smile
That is one tidy looking D, hats off to you Big Grin
unfortunately the niggles turned out to be a bit more serious. A temp sensor replacement turned into a nightmare with the existing sensor being mounted in some kind of adapter (as a result of someone else down the line shreading the thread in the head and needing to fit an adapter after a retap).

The old sensor came out but the thread was almost non existent, removal of the adapter resulted in it being sheared (dont know what it was made of but it was very thin material). Net result: a delorean with a big hole with half the adapter left in it and no means of driving the car. Its fair to say I feel in over my head and pretty devastated. The car has cost me neigh on 22k, I'm broke and I also have no time as I'm working 17 hours a day and I've driven it twice.

Anyone that knows of a good garage able to take the head off, retap and create a new adapter, near newbury berkshire would be greatly appreciated.

Very stuck and very devastated.

Thomas.
You should be able to find a good garage that can drill this out and Helicoil it (puts a new thread in there of the origional size) and should be able to the job with the head in-situ. If you ring around and find a garage that has done this before (was fairly common for spark plugs) then it should not cost to much. The adaptor may well have been the remains of a helicoil which should unscrew out.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Draper-Helicoil-M ... 286.c0.m14
Not saying this is the right one as I'm not sure of the size but it's just to give you an idea.
Hope this helps
Chris
Sorry to hear about this.
I had a problem with a M7 bolt shearing on LJH. I got a wire thread insert (helicoil style)kit from these guys.
http://www.tracytools.com/index.htm

If the hole is now way to big for the correct sensor, the best solution I can think of is to machine the hole to next size up you can use a thread insert on. Then machine a adaptor to screw into that with a tapped thread to suit the sensor.
If you don't have the skils or access to a lathe, a local Machine shop/Toolmakers may be a good place to ask. Most of the Toolmakers I worked with were "into" classic cars. So I am pretty sure they will try and help you out if you find a local one in yellow pages.

Hopefully the remaining sheared material can be drilled out in situe. If not it may need to be "sparked out" with a spark eroder or EDM drill. Sounds fancy but most well equiped machine shops have them.
They are great for getting sheared taps out :wink:

Regards
Nick H

A Van

With any 30 yr old car you are bound to get problems, we have all been there..and we'll all be there again at some stage!!!!what happened to make you start to look at the temp sender?

Any garage though as Chris Williams states, will be able to repair this fairly easily, you wouldnt need to take the head off either.
Just saw this on ebay. If its a head that's been damaged this might sort the problem.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DeLorean-Cylinder-...286.c0.m14

Nick H
Hi All,

Managed to find one place locally but when they actually looked at the car they decided they didn't want to touch it in case they broke something else. Time is the issue at the moment otherwise I'd do it myself (I work 18hrs and sleep 6 then am on call at the weekend).

I've decided to use the opportunity to do some modifications as well. The cars is heading up to Martin G on Friday and will have the hole tapped with an adapter or helicoil installed then a brake overhaul (with some performance bits and new master cylinder which is leaking), improved shocks, springs and suspension bushes and an overhauled steering rack, see if we can improve the ride a bit. I also managed to source some new door headliners from DMCH which (aside from the shipping) are very cheap.

We're also going to do some work on the ignition system (its been missing a fair bit) and replace some fuel hoses. Mostly speculative stuff but keen to keep it running for a few months of as few problems as possible to get some use.

Wish me luck!

Thomas.
good luck!! :wink:
Glad you have got things sorted, whilst the temp sender thing looked (and probably felt) really bad it's not to big a deal and Martin should get that sorted fairly quickly and easily (and fairly cheap with luck) Best to get the other bits done to such a s the master cylinder then at least you know it's not going to let you down at a latter date.

Chris