The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Aircon failure plus R134a capacity query
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Today of all days it had to happen. It was hot, hot, hot. I was driving the car hard with the aircon on full blast and then a loud air brake sound coming from the front left wheel. I changed the evaporator core (behind the dash) with an OEM one around 5 years ago so I’ll be surprised if it has failed again in the same place.

At the time of the evaporator replacement I also did the pressure switch update (low?) that moved from the dryer down to the lower corner of the condenser.

The car was converted to R134a at least five years ago. My next step is to have the system pressure tested and leak identified (dye should still remain).

Surely the condenser couldn't have failed being aluminium and protected by the radiator. Any thoughts as to what may have failed?

Crucially I need to know the correct capacity for R134a is it 950 grams? Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance
The main pipe has ruptured at its weakest point. Although I re-secured it a few years ago (it came loose and the steering knuckle gouged it slightly resulting in some damage to the outer core). Over time this weakest point continued to weaken to the point of rupture. It looks like I have two options, separate the body from the chassis by an inch or so to replace like for like or go for Jon Harvey's coupled version although I'm not sure how/where this is routed at this stage.

Any thoughts?

Chris
My mate who does the Aircon can get them made up, pm me if you want his number TT
Found someone locally who crucially has the hand held hydraulic high bubble crimp tool needed to fix the hole with the pipe in situ. They have promised that if the pressure test and gassing blow the repair I won't have to pay a penny. This safes a lot of grief although I am preparing myself for if it doesn't work.. The date of the repair is Saturday 18th July! I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the input Mr TT!