The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Couple of probs - Dash lights and Engine cutting out
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks, it's been a while - access to the website has been barred at work.

Right, a couple of problems, one minor and one major.

Easy one first - DASH LIGHTS. The binnacle lights that come on when your headlights are on. These have been working 100% up until today, and today, nothing. Not a sausage. I have looked back and seen a recent post regarding this problem which recommended testing the red and white wire at the rheostat for signs of life. I have done this, and there are none. 0.00 Volts in fact. Does anyone have any ideas what I might try next?

More serious one: ENGINE CUTTING OUT today whilst steaming along the A50 (fast dual carriageway with no hard shoulders). This happened twice - one when slowing down for a roundabout, and anything more than the most gentle touch on the accelerator causing major engine faltering, which died completely when I stopped at the roundabout, and it took a good, very long churn on the starter to reawaken. So anyway, got off the major road, had a bit of a tootle round, no obvious problems, so I got back on the A50 and continued to the next roundabout where it did the same to me again, but this time I was able to roll to a stop just on a layby. Anyway, no joy this time on the starter (IE it'd turn but no spark), so lifted the lid, had a tinker (not really achieving very much), then tried again and all seemed fine. Anyway, I then came home via the much smaller back roads and the problem hasn't come back since - but I don't want to head back on the motorway to find out if it's gone away or not.

Now, one major thing, today was excpetionally wet - has some water got in somewhere - and if so, where would be critical to check? I certainly felt like an electrical problem.

The plain yellow wire to the coil was also loose, but it didn't make any difference to the situation whether it was connected or not. What is it supposed to do?

Thanks team!

Rich
Okay, dash lights problem sorted, as soon as I realised that only the drivers' side lights were coming on, that led me to... A Melted fuse! Woohoo! (I hadn't realised the binnacle lights were on the same system as the headlight fuse but then I suppose they have a right to be, and they have to be on one side or ther other. Bizarre that they picked the side where the binnacle ISNT!) Ah well.

Anyway, so then I checked all the other fuses, but apart from a main beam one which was a bit iffy, all the others were 100%...

... So I guess the engine cutting out problem still remains...
Hi Rich,

I had a few cutting out issues that turned out to be loose connections in the bulkhead connectors (by the coil)

I ended up unplugging ALL the connectors, tightening up the "tube" ends, spraying with WD40 and clipping them back in.

The other cutting out problem I had was the multiplug on the ECU, not clipped in properly.

Regards
D
Thanks matey, I'll give those a try...

Will keep you posted!
Rich Hanlon Wrote:... So I guess the engine cutting out problem still remains...

RPM relay perhaps? if it's going duff it periodically cuts the power to the fuel pump and the engine will just die whilst driving.

I had this problem and ran my car for a short time without the rpm relay, I just jumped the relay with a switched wire (this was just to rule out the rpm relay and is probaby not a safe solution)

Anyway with it jumpered no probs, so I bought an OEM RPM relay for all of £20 and no trouble since (touching wood)

Worth a try

James

bozzzydmc

Seems like these have a good following now ....

http://delorean2109.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... pdate.html