The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: FITTING NEW TRACK ROD ENDS - NEED SOME HELP!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all
i have purchased some of the triumph like for like track road ends, i have removed one of the originals which unwound 23 turns, however the new one only turns on 18 turns which is not enough to track up the wheels, does anyone know if the rack needs modding to make these ends fit and track up correctly ?

thanks all

mike
Just nipping a bit off the end of the threaded bar will do the same job as long as it's a clean cut and its done in stages - too little is better than too much! (Provided that before the cut you still have plenty of threads visible on the bar when the new ball joint it tightened fully)

I'm sure if your car ever needs track rod ends again, they will be of the same type so it's a modification that is viable.

This is probably what went through your mind already, but i'm sure others have done this.

Ben the butcher.

NickT

mec Wrote:Hi all
i have purchased some of the triumph like for like track road ends, i have removed one of the originals which unwound 23 turns, however the new one only turns on 18 turns which is not enough to track up the wheels, does anyone know if the rack needs modding to make these ends fit and track up correctly ?

thanks all

mike

I had to cut about 1cm from the end of the triumph track rod end so I could align my car to spec. I am assuming that you have run out of the threaded portion on the steering arm, if so then you would probably have to do the same.

NickT
I think I have found a track rod end that doesn't need chopping.
Part no. FTR4054
Rover/MG/Talbot

They are exactly the same as the ones I took off, thread/length.
Please take your old ones to the motor factors to check.
You could always buy the "Original pattern" DMCH Track rod ends, cheap as chips and no chopping, filing or other nasties. 8)

Safety first!

Regards
D
I used standard dmch ones after having trouble with triumph ones and still had the same problem. The only way I could get my rack in the center with the correct alignment was to cut a little bit off the end of the track rod. There is still loads of thread left so its perfectly safe, I only needed to cut a tiny amount and now I have equal turns lock to lock.

A Van

I had exactly the same problem, also it isnt just the length that isnt correct from what I remember...something about the taper.

The Triumph ones are wrong, despite what so called 'experts' may proclaim.

A
I got my track rod ends off of ebay for about a fiver plus postage.

They ended up coming from SOC Autoparts in Headcorn in Kent.

They can supply quite a lot of DeLorean compatible stuff and the prices are pretty good.

I had mine fitted by the gods that are PJ Grady Europe when the car was with them having
all the cosmetics done, but I'm not sure if they jneeded cutting to fit properly.

Maybe Darren or Chris can advise further?
Hi Claire, The ones from SOC Autoparts were the Triumph ones, they can be made to fit, but why bother when Ed Uding can get the proper DMC part posted to your door too.
The Rover track rod ends I came accross did the job, but as Darren said its safer to get the right ones in the first place!
Stu
:wink:

A Van

By the way my comment towards 'experts' should have been in the plural term and it certainly wasnt aimed at PJ Gradys!
A Van Wrote:By the way my comment towards 'experts' should have been in the plural term and it certainly wasnt aimed at PJ Gradys!

Ah I think I get the message :wink:

Strange why I had to modify to fit standard dmc ones. When I got the car the ones on it were wrong too. Although tracked up, it had unequal turns lock to lock so maybe the steering rack mounts werent put on dead right from the factory? Or maybe I was just too fussy, the previous 3 owners didnt bother with it lol.
Hi All,

Not sure why some of you had to modify DMCH track rod ends???
Mine fit perfect first time, no hassle, just screwed straight on, correct length and everything.

Maybe previous owners, or garages doing work had done something?

Regards
D
I didnt have to take much off but still that was a last resort. Looking at the mounting of the rack etc it all apeared to be as it should be too. Maybe the frame isnt quite as it should be. Mine would have fitted straight on with the rack and steering wheel center set as it was but then it had unequal turns lock to lock. I just put it down to a delorean quirk and worked round it. I will be starting my chassis work at the weekend when I am back home so may be able to throw some more light on it then.

Anyway, all I can suggest to Mike is try DMCH ones, but be warned you may have the same problem.
Dan1986 Wrote:
A Van Wrote:By the way my comment towards 'experts' should have been in the plural term and it certainly wasnt aimed at PJ Gradys!

Ah I think I get the message :wink:

me too lol :wink:
I used Triumph Herald ones on my D and had no problems at all....
Pages: 1 2