The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Dodgy Starter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all.

Bit of an unusual one here.

Not used my D for 8 weeks, except to go and start it once about 4 weeks ago. Started fine 4 weeks,ago, and started fine today.

Drove 15 miles, and shut it off to chat to someone.

Started again fine, but only had to drive 1/2 a mile to get to where I was going.

When i stopped, I could have swore I heared somebody with a power tool pretty close.

When I got out of the car, and went to the rear, the noise was coming from the engine compartment.

Sense told me it had to be the starter motor spinning, so I turned the key once or twice, and no, it didn't start the engine (maybe this was a foolish move)..... but the motor kept spinning. This meant it would have been spinning for a few minutes while the engine was running too, but obviously didnt hear it while i drove that 1/2 mile.

So I disconnected a battery terminal, it stopped obviously.

Reconnected it on and off a few times, and alas it wasnt spinning no more.

Tightened the battery terminal back on and went to start the car...... and it started, just seemed like a bit of a struggle for the motor.(spun for a second, then seemed to engage) Realised the battery was down a bit after the motor had been running with no engine running charging it back up. Of course i kept knocking it off, and trying again, as you do. It's had not failed completely.

Decided to take it home, so did the 15 mile return journey..... and when I stopped, and noticably the battery was more charged than before, it virtually started as normal.......

It is a bit different than before, and i'm a bit concerned it might let me down now.......

Or the same might happen again and kill it completly.

What may have kept the starter spinning, (but not turning the engine over)?

Is it a stuck relay, dodgy solenoid, or a new starter jobby?

Although it seems to ok now...... i'm not gonna assume it's fixed itself, cos that just dont happen!

Cheers all, and I still enjoyed my trip out....... Smile

Ben
sounds like selenoid to me mainly cos it hasen't been used and its sticking, i would see how it goes and if it does it again change it TT
Thanks Tony, Will do. Since I wrote this topic, I went and tried it again and again with no problem.

Lack of use seems to be the problem, but I only left if so long because of a shoulder injury that doubted my ability to drive the car safely.

After consulting several people about the problem, it seems one of the best tools to keep in the car is a hammer just in case it sticks again. LOL

Big service and MOT due soon anyway, so I may well take the whole lot off and lubricate that solenioid, or even change it.

Ben
Glad to here its ok Ben. Just in time for you to bring it down to Norfolk next month eh :wink: Go on you know you want to. :lol:
Hi Ben,

Looks like a solenoid problem to me. You oughta check the bendix on the starter, and the flywheel ring gear for damage, if you've put any burrs on the teeth your gonna have long term problems.

(Take the starter off and check it, look at flywheel with starter removed)

Good Luck

Regards
D
Thanks Darren

I dont think the damage would have gone that far myself...... Will keep it in mind for the next time its on the ramp though.

If it had stayed engaged, would it have not just spun the actual motor anyway, just a bit faster as you was accelerating? That would have probably killed the motor completely seeing as there was still power going to it.

http://northatlan.com/Starterdrives.htm

Thinking about it logically, the solenoid has done its job, but not returned enough to actually switch the motor off (If thats how it works)

I'm sure the car would not start at all or jam up if that were the case, and i've started it so many times now to think that there's a problem there.

As for Norfolk Dan, I very much doubt it!

A defo trip for the Merc though!

Ben
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:As for Norfolk Dan, I very much doubt it!

A defo trip for the Merc though!

Pah! :roll: When the merc breaks down you will wish you bought the D :wink: A nice long run will do it good mate :wink:
maybe you're right...... we'll see! Smile
Hi Ben,

From what you say about no problems since the fault, I tend to agree you may have been lucky. Usually as the engine fires when starting the car, the helix on the bendix (pinion gear) throws the starter out of syncro with the flywheel. This is the point you normally let go of the ignition key.
If an electrical fault keeps power on the starter, the motor will turn and the pinion will try to drive forward (unless its a pre engaged design) This can rub on the turning flywheel, but never engage as its rotating too fast. This can cause a small burr to develop on the gears that I was talking about previously.

If you do get chance at some point in the future it's still worth a look.

Best Regards
D
Hi all.

Unfortunately, I'm not alltogether happy with the behavior of the starter since this incident. Something has happened, and it's one of 2 things.......

The starter motor is either very tired

or

It killed the battery which was bought in February, although I do believe I could have bought better.

I told you it was more or less starting as normal last week after this incident, but when the engine is warm and you start it usually, the starter turns quite fast.

Now, when the engine is warm, it starts, but with the same slow cranking you get on a cold morning after non usage for a while.......

Been on quite a nice trip tonight, using lights, fans, etc, but the volt meter is reading as normal.......

What's the signs of a knackered starter?

I'm prepared to replace all whats needed, no quibble, as after my trip tonight, i parked up and she failed to start off the key... had to bump it.

Then when I had been a few miles, it started fine plenty of times.

Ben
best thing is get another, or recondition that one mate Sad TT
I think you're right Tony

Well that replaces the starter and solenoid in one hit then doesn't it?

I'll ring DaveH later and see if he has any left. Otherwise it may have to be from Special T's....... Bit worried about the carraige though.

Is it safe to have something so large/heavy come so far?

I want to rule out the possibility of removing this one and having it sent away to be done - the thought of the car without a starter for weeks worries me....... this one still does start the car most of the time.

I'd prefer a new unit, then return my old one for the core charge.

Any suggestions......?

Thanks
i do know someone who reconditions them in this country so dont rush, i will look into it unless you find one, Try pj's as well. if they are the same as a volvo i can get my hands on one if your stuck tt
I have mailed PJ's, so awaiting reply there.

Contacts on the solenoid are probably dirty as buggery too, hence last weeks episode. I wouldn't mind betting the entire fault lies there, but its just as well replace all of it!

Maybe I could invent the world's first "pull start" delorean.... I have an inertia and a large length of rope! LOL
TheOriginalMrP Wrote:Maybe I could invent the world's first "pull start" delorean.... I have an inertia and a large length of rope! LOL
a chainsaw motor may have just a little more power so yes it is possible :lol: TT
Pages: 1 2