The DeLorean Owners Club UK Forum

Full Version: Closed section of forum accessible on Google!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
closed off item available to view on google!!!

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/members/down ... M_2005.doc

Its the 4th item down on this page - http://www.google.co.uk/search?gbv=2&hl ... CcountryGB

This should not be accessible for anyone outside the club to read without permission.

Can the AGM section be properly locked down please?
Hi claire,

This file is not part of the forum it's part of the website and I have not changed any permissions on anything outside of the forum.

I'll have a look to see if I can lock it down for you, but really it's down to the webmaster.

I really would advise against putting private files on a public web server

Dan
really!!! I'm surprised that they are part of the website Shock

Oh well..........

I take it that only club members can access the AGM Minutes on the forum?

NickT

The files are (were?) put on the locked part of the hosting site for download for downloadable links to:

viewforum.php?f=33

I am sure that the current web editor could do the same.

BTW Has the new web site been trialled yet?

Nick.
new web site? what new website? Shock

I must admit, our current website has bugged me for ages, as it does seem very out of date.

I was considering maybe taking it on, as I do the website at work, and its not that hard once you know what you're doing Smile However, if its all been sorted, then no need Big Grin

NickT

Sorry, I thought a new website was being developed. My mistake.

NickT
ah right - oops!! lol

The pages that seem really out of date on the website are Members Gallery and Show Gallery Pages, but thats probably because most people put their photos on this forum rather then sending them to Tris to put on the website.

Maybe its more down to us, the membership, for not sending Tris stuff to put on the website?

I digress :wink:

Still need to sort out how to stop stuff like the AGM minutes being accessible on Google tho..... :?:

Cheers
I wonder if there would be a way for members to somehow log into the picture gallery area on the site and be able to add new events and attach pictures of events we attend?
I have chmoded the members folder for the moment so that you can access it. If you try it will give you access denied. I'll look into it further if you want

Dan
We could do with some sort of Content Management System for the members' pages on the website so folks can log in and add / amend their own photos. It would also be an idea to link it with club membership (i.e. you car is only displayed if you're still part of the club)

This would be a nice project to do in PHP and just whack all the info into a MySQL database.

Dan, Tris, NickT, any thoughts?

NickT

I'm not part of the Website of Forum team anymore Phil.

It would be a nice project for someone given time.
Might be quicker to password protect the word documents or remove them from the hosting site entirely.

NickT
Hi Phil,

I agree it would be a great idea but It would need a great amount of time to write that. I could look around and see if there is anything that I could bolt-on as such, but I havent seen anything like it.

Content management systems normally cost abit. I was thinking of adding a Wiki system, Like Wikipedia, to the forum so that people could edit and update pages. There a few to choose from, but our ISP can be abit funny with what software they host for use as we have shared hosting and not our own Virtual Machine. They are the reason I had to update the forum !!!

I could look at hosting it at work, We have a 1Gb link so I dont think we would notice me hosting a Wiki Mr Green

What do you guys think ?

Dan
sounds good Dan - we currently pay Lycos around £15 p/m for webhosting IIRC.

I think its a good idea for there to be a complete overhaul of the club website, and maybe
even a redesign - Tris??? you out there buddy?

The gallery of members cars is very out of date, as is the show gallery pages - but then
again its down to members to send Tris stuff to put on the website - and to be fair, I dont
think the website is being fully utilised, as most of us are on here and posting about events
on here rather then on the main website.

The website is the clubs main 'shop window' on the internet for people in the UK and worldwide
looking for information about DOC UK and DeLorean's in general, and we need to make better
use of it I feel.

Just my thoughts of course ! :wink:
Could the member and show gallery links on the homepage be linked to special public veiwable pages on the forum? Then members can sign into the forum to upload pictures, and new topics can be added for new shows and members. As long as the pages are kept neet without discusions, just pictures.
Daniel Shane Wrote:I agree it would be a great idea but It would need a great amount of time to write that.
Yep, agreed mate; it would take some time to write the initial scripts. I reckon we could do it but I really haven’t got time to take it on. I’m finding it a bit of a killer doing the magazine as it is to be honest :|